The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Mar 3, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,161 of 2,621
Quick question : has anyone tried to replace the original cable with this one from Sennheiser ? https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories-cable-ptt-12-m-dia-3-mm
Any problem to report if you have ?

I haven't tried that cable myself, but I am absolutely positive that it is fully compatible with the HD560s. All the HD5__'s series headphones other than the 58x (which is from Drop and really just a 6__ series headphone under a different name) use the exact same locking-mechanism on the headphone-end of their cables. If you want a cable with a microphone, that one should be a good choice!

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #2,162 of 2,621
I haven't tried that cable myself, but I am absolutely positive that it is fully compatible with the HD560s. All the HD5__'s series headphones other than the 58x (which is from Drop and really just a 6__ series headphone under a different name) use the exact same locking-mechanism on the headphone-end of their cables. If you want a cable with a microphone, that one should be a good choice!

Thanks a lot !

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #2,163 of 2,621
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #2,165 of 2,621
I also have a cabling question. I have both a black and silver dragon 2.5 to 3.5mm cable. The headphone only has one input jack, and I'm assuming that input runs the signal to the other earcup's speaker with a wire. So even if I was using a fancy high-end cable, wouldn't most of it be negated since my "silver cable signal" is now being sent through to the other side with the headphone's internal copper wiring?

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #2,166 of 2,621
Thanks. I believe that Sennheiser used to propose a simpler cable without the mic but the one with is the only one I've been able to find in stock so far (on Thomann.de for example).

They do have short (1.2m) cable options that don't have a mic! Literally any cable for any of the HD5__ series headphones with that locking-mechanism at the 2.5mm end for the headphone-side will work just fine. The cables for the HD599, HD598, HD579, HD569, HD559, whatever (I'm just making some of these up, I can't keep track of how many HD5__ headphones there are and their model numbers lol) will all work with the HD560s. If you don't NEED a microphone, it's probably better to get a cable without one, since it'll be cheaper and have less possible points of failure in the long-term. If you use Senn's online store to look up the available accessories for the various headphones in that series, you should be able to find at least one such non-mic 1.2m cable that is in stock... probably... if you're lucky... their accessories are often out of stock, haha.

Of course, if you NEED or WANT the mic then just go with the cable you showed us the link to! But I think the non-mic cables are a lot cheaper.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #2,167 of 2,621
They do have short (1.2m) cable options that don't have a mic!

The regular cable is no longer even mentioned on Sennheiser's EU websites, and out of stock on the US one. Thomann.de has the inline mic cable referenced, but it's out of stock as well. Will buy it once it's back in stock.

Combined with the Qudelix's PEQ these will be my home wireless headphones so the inline mic isn't necessarily unwelcome. I just can't deal with the state of wireless headphones at the moment, I've listened to maybe a dozen wireless over-ears in the last few months in an attempt to replace a broken pair of P7W and it's like the entire industry has decided to move backwards for some reason. I'm looking for dumb, passive, decent channel matching and manufacturing tolerances, PEQ-able with lots of sources, open and no ANC, ie no excuses for fcuk ups, and never mind if I have to carry a little box in my pocket and a cable at my side. We'll see how that goes.

I received them this morning. I get why some people feel that they feel a bit cheap vs the HD6something line (I have a pair of HD650). No big deal as long as they don't break and the tolerances are low enough, but just like the K371 you can't help but feel that they sound like they deserve a little extra glamorous pizzazz in the build feel department.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #2,168 of 2,621
The regular cable is no longer even mentioned on Sennheiser's EU websites, and out of stock on the US one. Thomann.de has the inline mic cable referenced, but it's out of stock as well. Will buy it once it's back in stock.

Combined with the Qudelix's PEQ these will be my home wireless headphones so the inline mic isn't necessarily unwelcome. I just can't deal with the state of wireless headphones at the moment, I've listened to maybe a dozen wireless over-ears in the last few months in an attempt to replace a broken pair of P7W and it's like the entire industry has decided to move backwards for some reason. I'm looking for dumb, passive, decent channel matching and manufacturing tolerances, PEQ-able with lots of sources, open and no ANC, ie no excuses for fcuk ups, and never mind if I have to carry a little box in my pocket and a cable at my side. We'll see how that goes.

I received them this morning. I get why some people feel that they feel a bit cheap vs the HD6something line (I have a pair of HD650). No big deal as long as they don't break and the tolerances are low enough, but just like the K371 you can't help but feel that they sound like they deserve a little extra glamorous pizzazz in the build feel department.

Hey!
I posted about some other Sennheiser cables a while ago, which are also compatible with the Hd560s. They aren’t shorter, but different and have a more quality feel.
Today i've done a little research on cables too

I found 2 original cables from Sennheiser for the HD 8 which has the same 2.5mm connector as the HD 500 series, but it looks like those cables meant to dig deeper, so when plugged in there could be a gap before it gets wider. It also has 2 rings on the 2.5mm side instead of 3, so i'm not 100% sure it is compatible, but i seen someone using an aftermarket HD 500 series cable with the HD8, so the opposite works.
The good thing is that they are look more expensive, sturdy and "quality" than the one included with the 560s, and they are cheaper than the 1.2m with inline mic, they also have the twist on 3.5mm to 6.3mm.
The bad thing is that there is only 3m and 1.5m coiled version.

Both in stock:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/accessories--hd6-hd-7-hd-8--connecting-cable-coiled

Untitled.jpg

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/access...MIppn2pKD27QIVyOvtCh0FjQDAEAQYASABEgJf4fD_BwE

product_detail_x2_desktop_558472.jpg

Volly later confirmed that they fit without any problem.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #2,170 of 2,621

All the accessories are ALMOST ALWAYS out of stock on the U.S. website, either that or my timing is awful, it's really annoying. Earpads, cables, you name it, the U.S. website seems to NEVER actually have them. Can anyone tell me WHY that is? Because I've seriously been wondering about it for a while. I've been considering putting in a request to actual Customer Service to ask if I can get some dang earpads and a cable, haha.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,171 of 2,621
All the accessories are ALMOST ALWAYS out of stock on the U.S. website, either that or my timing is awful, it's really annoying. Earpads, cables, you name it, the U.S. website seems to NEVER actually have them. Can anyone tell me WHY that is? Because I've seriously been wondering about it for a while. I've been considering putting in a request to actual Customer Service to ask if I can get some dang earpads and a cable, haha.

Honestly it's the same in Europe. Thank God we have Thomann at the rescue :D.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #2,172 of 2,621
I've had exactly the same experience and associated frustrations!

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,173 of 2,621
Even my moon audio cables dont fit in the socket, and they're STILL both using a 2.5mm locking connector. Sennheiser really shouldve stayed with a normal cable connector. Now I gotta go back to moon audio and pester Drew again and lose money.

I also tried my original Momentum 3 2.5mm cable in the 560s and I damn near ripped the cable trying to get it out of the jack.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #2,174 of 2,621
Even my moon audio cables dont fit in the socket, and they're STILL both using a 2.5mm locking connector. Sennheiser really shouldve stayed with a normal cable connector. Now I gotta go back to moon audio and pester Drew again and lose money.

The least they could do is have the earpads and cables actually in-stock in their online store, the situation with that is indeed very frustrating. But yeah, as for the cables I have no idea why they don't just use a standard 3.5mm entry without any proprietary locking-mechanism. I find that the locking-mechanism actually does more harm than good, because as someone very clumsy, I've actually twice now accidentally pulled my amp off of my desk and had it land on the floor (thank goodness it's carpeted and the Fiio K5 Pro is built like a tank, haha) due to the cable staying locked into the socket on the headphones. Another time, the cable got caught on something and it pulled the headphones right off my head, which understandably terrified me (it's not like the HD560s have an especially sturdy build) and I've been VERY careful to avoid anything like that happening again. Fortunately that time they only fell a very short distance and landed on the sofa-cushion, no harm done, but I'm terrified they might land on the floor someday. This is never an issue with my Fidelio X2HR's, as their non-locking 3.5mm connector just comes loose and disconnects if I screw up by wandering too far from my amp or get the cable caught on something (it happens more commonly with the X2HR since I'm using a 1.2m cable), thus never yanking my amp or headphones from their proper places. In my opinion it's BETTER to have non-locking cables that come loose easily just in case of accidents like those. A locking-mechanism is just asking for trouble.

That being said, the HD560s sound a good bit better (on most day anyway, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a bit more fun/less clinical detail which is why I kept the X2HR's) than the X2HR's in terms of my preferences, heh.
But it does disappoint me that at 50 dollars more, while sounding a good deal better (detail, imaging, separation, although less stage-width) than the X2HR's, the HD560s' build-quality compared to the X2HR is like a chopstick compared to a baseball bat, and having a locking-mechanism for their cable that makes them more prone to accidents is a bad choice for the all-plastic headphones of the HD5__ line while making it hard to find replacements.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,175 of 2,621
I haven't looked at the state of the screws on my copy but will remove the pads to quickly check if anything's obviously loose. So far though no rattle, but I don't think that I listen at particularly high levels to start with (if it's any reference on a 2014 MacBook Pro I can't really listen to them past 35-40% un-EQed).
It's quite nice to see a pair of truly open headphones (including the front volume, unlike most planars) with a fairly decent subbass response when EQed (I read that the Focals are quite good at this too but never used them. The HD800 series is pretty nice as well in that regard).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back