The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Jan 30, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #2,056 of 2,621
Well I can't find anything on being exempt from VAT if the value is under £135, so it seems like you're supposed to pay it somehow. You've imported goods from another country and the government site says that you need to pay 20% VAT.

Here you go: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7208/~/help-with-paying-customs-fees

"VAT will be applied depending on the type and value of the goods. VAT on items under £135 (with the exception of gifts) will now be collected directly at the point of sale.

For goods with a value over £135 and gifts over £39, customs charges will continue to be applied on behalf of HM

Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Royal Mail will collect these directly from the recipient prior to delivery. Letters, postcards and documents are usually exempt."

So, if the seller doesn't charge you VAT and the value is under £135, you will not be charged. Over £135 and you will have to pay before the package is released by customs.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,057 of 2,621
Well I can't find anything on being exempt from VAT if the value is under £135, so it seems like you're supposed to pay it somehow. You've imported goods from another country and the government site says that you need to pay 20% VAT.
To who and how?

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #2,058 of 2,621
Here you go: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7208/~/help-with-paying-customs-fees

"VAT will be applied depending on the type and value of the goods. VAT on items under £135 (with the exception of gifts) will now be collected directly at the point of sale.

For goods with a value over £135 and gifts over £39, customs charges will continue to be applied on behalf of HM

Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Royal Mail will collect these directly from the recipient prior to delivery. Letters, postcards and documents are usually exempt."

So, if the seller doesn't charge you VAT and the value is under £135, you will not be charged. Over £135 and you will have to pay before the package is released by customs.

So UPS should have charged me before delivery?
They didn't and never asked either.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,059 of 2,621

They should have yeah, I don't live in the UK, but from experience (NZ and IRE) if it's been delivered you're all good

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #2,062 of 2,621
Well this is probably Karma....
Listening to "thick ear" by Sleaford Mods....on HD599. The bass in the first 5 seconds,
the left earpiece has an awful vibration that none of my other headphones exhibit..
Shocking....it sounds like a paperclip rattling on a desk...
I give up on Sennheiser now.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #2,066 of 2,621
Bought on the 1st, delivered on the 11th

Thanks

They do show as in stock but when I added them to my basket it didn't give me a delivery date, previously I had them sitting in my orders for a couple of days and the order status didn't change. I guess they're taking a little while longer than usual to be despatched from Amazon

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #2,067 of 2,621
Well this is probably Karma....
Listening to "thick ear" by Sleaford Mods....on HD599. The bass in the first 5 seconds,
the left earpiece has an awful vibration that none of my other headphones exhibit..
Shocking....it sounds like a paperclip rattling on a desk...
I give up on Sennheiser now.

I'm guessing that covid restrictions or other difficulties due to the pandemic have messed up whatever usually goes on at sennheiser's factory in china. This level of quality control is horrible.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #2,068 of 2,621
I'm guessing that covid restrictions or other difficulties due to the pandemic have messed up whatever usually goes on at sennheiser's factory in china. This level of quality control is horrible.
What level (i.e. rate) are we discussing?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,069 of 2,621

Hmmmm, MAYBE that is in fact what's going on. I hadn't thought of this before. Evshrug, you said Sennheiser is looking into these issues, right? I hope we hear back from them soon about what the heck is going on. These are far more frequent QC complaints than I've ever seen about Sennheiser headphones in the past, and I'm honestly confused about it.

I hadn't considered that the factory being in China could very well mean that issues relating to the pandemic could possibly be the cause of this. Are these QC issues truly "rare" after all? We have people here who have gotten two pairs of HD560s in a row that had these issues, and now someone who had this rattling/buzz issue with a pair of HD560s, got the 599's instead only for them to have even worse issues, and that person has now given up on Sennheiser entirely. Clearly there is some kind of actual problem going on at the factory in China. And it's reached the point that Sennheiser is losing business because of it. They need to be made aware of this. I hate to keep bothering you, Evshrug, but you are our contact with the company on here; each person individually reporting their issues to Sennheiser won't be able to show the company that there is a (bad) trend going on with the QC of their HD5__'s series headphones, they need to hear from someone affiliated with the company that this is an ongoing, now far-too-commonly reported issue.

This is all very bizarre to me, as I know that the first couple production-runs of the HD560s had no issues, with nobody reporting any of these problems with loose screws (but PLEASE people DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE SCREWS IN YOUR PAIRS out of fear of this, or you will strip the screws and create issues that weren't there), driver-rattle, etc. It seems that the issues have arisen only with the latest production-run. With the first couple batches of these, people only had positive things to say (except for those who found the treble too bright for their tastes). Now all of a sudden with the latest batch, we have all these people reporting issues. So it seems to just be the very latest batch of the HD5__'s series models that have issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back