The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Jan 25, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,981 of 2,621
See: this is the benefit of using those scary "bass tones" and freaky "sine waves", it lets you catch problems. If the screws are spinning, you will definitely get buzzing/rattling when you play bass.
Mine were distorting/buzzing anyway FYI........without Sinewaves, but I never got around to seeing why, now I have.

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,983 of 2,621
If they were buzzing and distorting, you probably should have returned them. The one I got is perfectly fine once I tightened the three screws. No buzzing at all even at painful volumes
I could only hear it on certain Albums, but they are going back now.

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,985 of 2,621
Jan 25, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,986 of 2,621
Welp I was looking to upgrade anyway so I'm going to return the HD560s and get a hifiman Sundara instead. I know hifiman's QC has a bad reputation but apparently it's gotten better now. I'd rather have a failed driver than a distorted one due to loose/spinning screws, plus the Sundara will have a 2 year warranty.

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,987 of 2,621
Welp I was looking to upgrade anyway so I'm going to return the HD560s and get a hifiman Sundara instead. I know hifiman's QC has a bad reputation but apparently it's gotten better now. I'd rather have a failed driver than a distorted one due to loose/spinning screws, plus the Sundara will have a 2 year warranty.
You said yours were fine?
I remember having a pair of HE400i a few years back, very thin sounding

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,989 of 2,621
You said yours were fine?
I remember having a pair of HE400i a few years back, very thin sounding

Yes but I don't feel good about the chances of them holding up with time. In a year or so, the screws might get loose and start spinning. Not sure if the warranty will even cover that but I don't want to wait and find out.

I'm not worried about sound signature, EQ can fix all of that and I'm only going to be using it at my computer anyway so it doesn't need to work from other devices. Planars apparently have something different from dynamic headphones so I'm mostly curious about that. The bass should have much lower distortion as well so it will take EQ very well.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,990 of 2,621
I'm going to allow them to replace the headphones and if the replacement has the same issue I'll likely return and get the Sundaras instead, otherwise I'm happy with how these sound

Hifonix offers a 2-year warranty on the Sundaras, which is longer than hifiman's own 1-year manufacturer's guarantee. It's the only reseller I could find in the UK offering that at the moment so I'm probably going to order from them.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,991 of 2,621
Hifonix offers a 2-year warranty on the Sundaras, which is longer than hifiman's own 1-year manufacturer's guarantee. It's the only reseller I could find in the UK offering that at the moment so I'm probably going to order from them.

Well I've heard a lot of bad things about Hifonix QC and channel imbalance issues, so keep that in mind

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,994 of 2,621
So I took the pads off my set to see what you guys were talking about. Mine were screwed till the end, hence my pair did not exhibit the rattle issues. What is odd is how easy it was to unscrew them, with just the lightest twist of a screwdriver. I can totally see how they can easily loosen over time if you use them on high volume or bang them around.

For those with free spinning screws, the threads must have been stripped overtightening at some point, which is a no go.

I overlooked the subpar finishing on my headband. But after removing the pads, I really think these are all not that well put together at all. On the other hand, the HD 25 were built like a tank though.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #1,995 of 2,621
@Evshrug I now second what others are saying who are hoping that sponsors can communicate with Sennheiser to the bottom of these QC issues involving the screws. The issue now seems to be much more common than we thought, and a QC issue like this is, as I've said before, pretty unacceptable coming from a company like Sennheiser that has always prided itself on its products' reliability and quality-control. My own pair is totally fine now, no issues, after tightening a couple of the screws a little bit; HOWEVER, they do, as others noted, loosen easily with just the SLIGHTEST turn to the left, which makes me worry that they'll loosen up over time and start spinning/rattling. Sennheiser needs to be made aware that this is an issue that people are having far more often than we'd like to see, and that we're very justifiably worried about.

If the screws loosen or strip over time, will Sennheiser cover that under their warranty? But aside from that, what's even the point of these headphones if I can't trust for that to not happen? I didn't buy them directly from Senn, but rather from Best Buy, so it's not like I could ever return them, the window for that has passed. The thing is, I DON'T WANT TO RETURN THEM: I love these headphones, they sound great. But it's very concerning to WORRY that the screws will loosen in the future. Obviously I don't want that to happen, so I want to hear from Sennheiser about why there are any issues with the screws in these headphones in the first place.

See: this is the benefit of using those scary "bass tones" and freaky "sine waves", it lets you catch problems. If the screws are spinning, you will definitely get buzzing/rattling when you play bass.

Oh no no, haven't you heard? APPARENTLY it's FORBIDDEN to listen to anything other than music, movies, TV, and games; you know, actual media content. According to half the people here, doing something as craaaaazy as listening to test-tones that are specifically made for testing headphone and speaker performance is just the height of stupidity and deserving of nothing more than mockery. I mean, what's the point of science, right? :deadhorse:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back