The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Jan 26, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #1,996 of 2,621
My own pair is totally fine now, no issues, after tightening a couple of the screws a little bit; HOWEVER, they do, as others noted, loosen again very easily with just the SLIGHTEST turn to the left, which makes me worry that they will loosen up over time and start spinning/rattling.

Are yours easily unscrewed as well? I feel without a doubt, if you bang the headphones around or play loud bassy stuff that induces more vibrations and movements, the screws are prone to loosening overtime. Because they are just not friction secured enough by the threads.

For now, I think our only fix is to apply some thread locking Loctite to keep these screws in place. Not a difficult fix, but Sennheiser should consider implementing this at production level, or even change out the screws altogether.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #1,997 of 2,621
Are yours easily unscrewed as well? I feel without a doubt, if you bang the headphones around or play loud bassy stuff that induces more vibrations and movements, the screws are prone to loosening overtime. Because they are just not friction secured enough by the threads.

For now, I think our only fix is to apply some thread locking Loctite to keep these screws in place. Not a difficult fix, but Sennheiser should consider implementing this at production level, or even change out the screws altogether.

Yup, too easily unscrewed for my comfort regarding these. I'm hoping that Evshrug will get in touch with the company so we can get to the bottom of this. I'd try contacting them myself but I doubt they'll listen to one teeny-tiny little consumer/purchaser of their products as much as they'll listen to one of their sponsors.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #1,998 of 2,621
Yup, too easily unscrewed for my comfort regarding these. I'm hoping that Evshrug will get in touch with the company so we can get to the bottom of this. I'd try contacting them myself but I doubt they'll listen to one teeny-tiny little consumer/purchaser of their products as much as they'll listen to one of their sponsors.

At least you guys get even a small window of opportunity to return them. Where I live, no such thing... :D

Let's hope they do take in our feedback as those issues are not hard to fix though. It is a pity because these are really good sounding headphones.

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,999 of 2,621
At least you guys get even a small window of opportunity to return them. Where I live, no such thing... :D

Let's hope they do take in our feedback as those issues are not hard to fix though. It is a pity because these are really good sounding headphones.

They're EXCELLENT sounding. Incredible, honestly the best sounding headphones I've ever heard in this price-range. I'm listening to "Uprising" by Muse with them right now and it sounds GODLY. My hope is that Sennheiser will address these issues and then if the screws ever loosen on my pair, they'll honor the warranty (Senn tends to be great with that) and replace this pair with a newer one that has the issues with the screws fixed. If not, I'll just have to blow another $200 someday on a pair that has the issues fixed, because I am ADDICTED to the sound of these :sweat_smile: But Sennheiser is renowned for doing an excellent job with their warranty-service so I have a feeling that everything will be fine in the end; namely, if these screws ever become an issue for us, Sennheiser will almost certainly fix it for free, at anytime up until TWO YEARS after we got the headphones :L3000:

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,000 of 2,621
They're EXCELLENT sounding. Incredible, honestly the best sounding headphones I've ever heard in this price-range. I'm listening to "Uprising" by Muse with them right now and it sounds GODLY. My hope is that Sennheiser will address these issues and then if the screws ever loosen on my pair, they'll honor the warranty (Senn tends to be great with that) and replace this pair with a newer one that has the issues with the screws fixed. If not, I'll just have to blow another $200 someday on a pair that has the issues fixed, because I am ADDICTED to the sound of these :sweat_smile: But Sennheiser is renowned for doing an excellent job with their warranty-service so I have a feeling that everything will be fine in the end; namely, if these screws ever become an issue for us, Sennheiser will almost certainly fix it for free, at anytime up until TWO YEARS after we got the headphones :L3000:

I'm quite confident of their 2 year warranty. Just don't mess too much with the screws or overtighten them. Use some Loctite and it should be as good as a permanent fix.

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #2,001 of 2,621
I'm quite confident of their 2 year warranty. Just don't mess too much with the screws or overtighten them. Use some Loctite and it should be as good as a permanent fix.

I'm pretty sure that doing something like putting a super-powerful adhesive on the screws would risk VOIDING the warranty, though :thinking:

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,005 of 2,621
Not really acceptable to hear about this screw issue, considering people may well choose a Sennheiser because of their QC reputation.

You see, this is what I'm thinking too. I LOVE these headphones, but dammit, I bought Sennheisers thinking I could take it for granted that the QC would be perfect, because the company is world-renowned for that and has always staked a large part of their image on their excellent QC. I'm pissed at Sennheiser that this is happening, how could they slip up like this after decades of nothing but excellence? They just recently switched to using a factory in China rather than the ones in Europe for their cheaper product lines (the 500's series headphones), and I think the consequences of that are showing. I'm willing to bet that the newer units of the HD599 and such (although why anyone would get the 599 now that the 560s exists is beyond me, haha) that are made in China are probably also prone to such issues.

As I said, I LOVE these headphones. But I'm pissed that I have to WORRY about the screws possibly coming loose over time in the future. I know these are only budget-tier audiophile headphones, but this is still unacceptable from a company like Sennheiser. Thankfully, they do have a two year warranty, and Sennheiser is VERY good about honoring their warranties; if the screws come loose all on their own in the future, I can file a warranty claim and get a replacement unit with already-perfectly-properly-tightened screws.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #2,008 of 2,621
You see, this is what I'm thinking too. I LOVE these headphones, but dammit, I bought Sennheisers thinking I could take it for granted that the QC would be perfect, because the company is world-renowned for that and has always staked a large part of their image on their excellent QC. I'm pissed at Sennheiser that this is happening, how could they slip up like this after decades of nothing but excellence?...

As I said, I LOVE these headphones. But I'm pissed that I have to WORRY about the screws possibly coming loose over time in the future. I know these are only budget-tier audiophile headphones, but this is still unacceptable from a company like Sennheiser. Thankfully, they do have a two year warranty, and Sennheiser is VERY good about honoring their warranties; if the screws come loose all on their own in the future, I can file a warranty claim and get a replacement unit with already-perfectly-properly-tightened screws.

No such thing as 'Perfect QC' with even the best of manufacturers.

TBH...Not sure it's worth the angst for a consumer to be in a state of 'worry' over a set of headphones. :thinking: I certainly would not let a manufacturer live rent free in my head and disrupt life's daily joys.

One way consumers can remedy this situation, is to move on from a given product if it's not up to their standards...or from the brand if they feel they been betrayed to the point of being repeatedly 'pissed'.

For me, I look to my headphones simply as a tool to enjoy music and thankfully that never includes worrying about the headphones. If they sound good to me when I'm listening to my favorite tunes, I'm a happy camper. If not, I'll get rid of them...either replacing via warranty if they've got a problem or via selling them if they're 'just not for me'.

Example...I have Focal Clears and they work flawlessly at very realistic sound levels. Yet there is a similar ongoing rumbling in that thread about how they clip at higher levels (~85dB). Multiple thread participants have this issue; multiple thread participants do not. I simply enjoy my music at my listening levels and don't give it a second thought. If they ever do exhibit this problem, I'll deal with it at that point. In the meantime, I'm very content to have this set of cans to listen to music with.

They just recently switched to using a factory in China rather than the ones in Europe for their cheaper product lines (the 500's series headphones), and I think the consequences of that are showing. I'm willing to bet that the newer units of the HD599 and such (although why anyone would get the 599 now that the 560s exists is beyond me, haha) that are made in China are probably also prone to such issues.

Seems like conjecture to me.

FWIW, I own a few Senns made in China...no issues with any of them...or with the ones I've owned from Germany, Ireland, Romania, etc.

What I have discovered over the years, is that many of Senn's models (especially the 6 and some of the 5 series) have provided me with years of uninterrupted listening enjoyment.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #2,009 of 2,621
Thread locking adhesive used on most electronics. Not super glue.
Seems like a winning strategy from my viewpoint...:beerchug:

I'll probably pick these cans up after the Early Adopter phase when they go on sale (maybe next Black Friday?) since the sound signature and value proposition interest me. When I do, I'll probably open the cans up and apply some thread locking adhesive -- if this is still an issue at that point in time (betting it won't be) :wink:

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,010 of 2,621
I've just received my replacement HD 560s. Interestingly, the screws are all tight, but as said by others here, you can unloosen them with the slightest turn. However, I still have quite a rattle in the left earphone between about 0 and 200Hz using this https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Can someone else use the test tone generator and see if they notice the same thing?

Also worth mentioning that this replacement pair were scuffed out of the box and the headband doesn't exactly appear like it's properly glued

Thanks

EDIT - Just taken another look and one of the screws on the left driver is spinning. Returning for refund

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back