The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #856 of 2,621
I didn't use that term to describe the whole signature, only the mids. And the high mids in the 880 are hidden between the low mids (warm) and the highs (prominent). Is it clear now?

Read the glossary. Warmth is not normally associated with describing mids. That's pretty commonly accepted. Warmth refers to bass.

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #861 of 2,621
Okay, after another day of listening I still think the 560s are basically 58x tuning with more neutral mid range and a slightly colder/less warm sound. I'm finding them more amazing though the more I listen to them.

I am struggling to see when I would pick up the 58x or 6xx over these. Did some extensive gaming and the 560s are better than the 58x. I previous felt the 58x was the best headphone I have tried for gaming. The 560s however have everything I love about the 58x in terms of gaming- fantastic imaging, a "just right" sound signature for both competitive and single player, great detail- but they add expansive soundstage and even better detail. Like hot damn these kick ass for gaming.

For music I actually think the 560s have more detail and clarity than the 58x after more listening, and they are dangerously close to the 6xx. But again, with actual soundstage.

My advice to those starting out in the hobby has typically been to grab the 58x (if no amp) or 6xx (if you have an amp) and be done with it. The 560s are probably going to take the place of both of those. If you are starting out, get the 560s- it will be great with and without an amp.

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #862 of 2,621
Awesome. Now please ramp up production so that retailers selling Sennheiser products can get them in stock too...Christmas is coming!!
The first North American shipment just arrived this week, retailers should be showing stock soon, and we are already producing another run. With regards to the winter holiday season, we have to make more of all our headphones... but it’s great to keep our production lines humming at full capacity!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 16, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #864 of 2,621
Let me disagree a little.
Nothing to do with the 58x tuning.
I mostly hear this as baby's HD800 (oh yes) or maybe HD700 with better tuning , the same lean sound and lesser technicalities.
Up to to this point, I've been all "this set appears fine, but not sure if worth my time (as I'd want to source a 4.4mm balanced cable + concerns over drive-ability with my meager portable sources)", but this post got my attention right quick.

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #865 of 2,621
It'll be interesting to see the corrections Sonarworks make to these. It'll be subtle of course just like the HD600, which mainly just adds more sub bass but with added distortion. If these can be flattened down that low, with less distortion, that would be great.
Ps: I'm not saying these need an eq.

I have always told people there is no such thing as a bad headphone, you just need to pair it with the right amp. This is a headphone just like the HD650 that scales so well with different amps... I bet if I hooked this up to a Chord Hugo 2 or something I would be blown away. but I mean you don't buy that for a $200 headphone lol
But you talk about comfort and you're right about HD5-series being one of the most comfotable cans in the world. However when it comes to build quality that's definetly not the case. I've had many HD5 headphones and the built quality is mediocore at best. Sony use high quality plastics not Sennheiser. Depending on the unit some HD5 can be very squaky, rattly, some plastic parts are scratched out of the box from factory and all of them have cheapo plastic headband, which gets sctatched super easy and quick just from adjusting it.

The thing is 598 are very different than 599... one being mellow bass light, distorting at high volume, super wide soundstage. While the other more aggresive, less wide sondstage, much punchier bass with no issues at high volume and better detail retrival. To me 599 is very similarly tuned to 58X.

Haven't listened to new seens yet, however I think 560s are still enough different to X2HR just like 58X, 599, HD6, to own them both. X2HR have that airyness, openess to the sound being super wide no other senn have. Bass in fidelio's is also much more organic to any senn I've listened to.

599's was for 99 euros on Prime Day few days ago, and I grabbed them last year's Prime Day for even less (79E at the time). I expect 560s to hit similar sale price next year. I'll happily snatch them at that price and have both for less than 200$ :)

Sony uses better plastic? You sure about that? their top tier ANC series had issues for the first three generations on the plastic breaking for many many people.

https://us.community.sony.com/s/que...adband-on-wh1000xm3-headphones?language=en_US

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #867 of 2,621
That's great news! Looking forward to him releasing that video very much. I have the HD58X, which are great, but a bit bassy and a tad uncomfortable at times (I wear them for several hours at end and think they might contribute to my headaches with their ghastly clamp). The 600s are too expensive for me and I don't want to get rid of subbass completely, so the 560S seem like a good option. The better comfort would be great. However, having had the 770s for a while I'm concerned about treble sharpness - that would be a definite deal-breaker for me.

Oluv is the one youtube reviewer I trust, especially since he demonstrates the actual sound and doesn't use audiophile terms to describe it.
Hey there. For what it's worth I have the hd58x as well. They are less bassy and are more comfortable, less clamp, more plush padding. I don't hear any treble problems. But they are similar to 58x to me, so if you like the overall sound of the hd58x I think you'd like these. Subbass isn't lacking to me.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #868 of 2,621
Does anyone have the pin layout for the headphone side connector?

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #870 of 2,621
It's the bass that causes warmth. Take away the bass emphasis, and the warmth goes away.
The term warmth is defined in the headfi glossary as relating to bass.
This is not the way I think of it. Instead of saying hp A is warmer than hp B, I would describe hp A as bassier or has more bass.
I think of warmth as a combination of upper bass and low midrange, because low mid-range is warmer than mid-mids or upper-mids.

Headphone A, has more low-mids, headphone B has more upper-mids, they both have the same bass response.I would describe headphone A as warmer.

Then we get into what is considered upper mids. The headfi glossary and others say 1khz to 6khz.
Some say 1khz to 2khz. To me 4 khz, 5khz, 6khz is treble.

Then we go further. When someone says headphone A has an elevated or recessed midrange. I never know what they really mean.
The whole range from 250hz to 6khz? The range from 250hz to 500hz,? the range from 500hz to 1khz? The range from 1khz to 6khz?
An elevation or recession in any of these ranges relative to the others is going to cause a different perception of the sound of one headphone compared to another; even though they're all mid-range frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back