The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #2,431 of 2,621
Today, all day, at my house, there were 560S.
1) They are light, comfortable. This is "mega-cool".
2) A very wide stage is cool!
3) The sound is too bright in my opinion. slightly lowered the equalizer.
4) Working out the middle in the Shure 840 is better than in the 560S(
5) The bass was added with an equalizer, I did not notice any distortion.
6) There was no channel imbalance, I checked it on purpose.
7) The separation of tools on the Fostex t60p is better than on the 560S.
8) For me, there is a position of the headphones, in which the ear can feel the protrusion inside the cup (Which means that when the earbuds are pressed, it can be felt more often and more strongly (
9) So that the cups are not given, you need to increase the size of the headband, but then it does not touch the crown))

An ambivalent impression has developed... I'm thinking now, whether the 560S are my headphones, or whether the 660S should be listened to again and measured.
It's a pity there's no place to listen to Shure 1840(

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #2,433 of 2,621
Which one (560S and 660S) has more stage and better definition of instruments in space?
HD560s definitely has wider soundstage. As for "definition of instruments in space", you may be referring to imaging- the HD660s have better imaging (maybe the best I've heard).

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #2,434 of 2,621
Apr 5, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #2,435 of 2,621
Hey Everyone! I have some update on my pair. Today i was about to swap the earpads, when the whole system broke off and came off with the earpads, while the screws stayed intact. I can't show the damage, because I feel ashamed to say, but i superglued them where the "teat" that surrounds the screws broke off, on both sides by the way.
Sometimes i changed earpads because i have the grey ones too, for different look and sound. At the same time i found that out why they sound different. The grey ones(for hd579) has the o-rings, but the black one that came with the hd560s doesnt. For the same reason your ears have more space with the grey one. I ordered everything including the headphones from the official Sennheiser website.
20220405_132930.jpg

Im disappointed with the build quality of these, especially, because i really like how they sound. They should last longer than a year, even with everyday use.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #2,436 of 2,621
If anybody needs replacement earpads for these, they can be purchased from Hifiheadphones in the UK for the equivalent of $11.80 USD. They charge $13.35 to ship to the U.S., but even so, it's still a good price. They were delivered 12 days after I placed the order.

https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/products/sennheiser-hd559-replacement-velour-earpads-1-pair-572287
I've been looking for replacement pads every few days on the Sennheiser website, but they've been out of stock for several months now. These are def genuine pads? Might have to order.

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #2,437 of 2,621
@Evshrug @goodyfresh

I received the second pair of the earpads. They are exactly the same as the first one i ordered.
I inspected them a bit closer this time and here is what i found:

What makes the HD 579's earpads taller is the ring. The foam also softer on the original earpads(HD 560s). My wife also checked. Confirmed! :D
The thickness is visible too.

On the gray one there is a gap in the ring, you can easily stick your nail inside,

Which can't be seen on the black one.

The gray one a bit looks like it's floating when laid down compared to the black one.
Is that possible these things can change what you hear trough them? Or is it the foam? I'm not sure, but the difference is not wild. It's just a little more bass with the gray one and everything sounds a bit more intimate or closer with the black ones.
Also there is a bit more space for your ears with the gray.
I don't own a second pair of the black earpads, but i guess they all the same.
Here is my post from one year ago about the earpads. One thing i would add is, imaging and soundstage is better with the grey earpads. Especially with highs. For example if you listen the first 10 seconds of this song:

the highs are more separated to the left and right and also sounds more distant, but for other music sometimes i prefer the black one.

Could someone confirm that there are no o-rings in the earpads that comes with the hd560s?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #2,439 of 2,621
Hey Everyone! I have some update on my pair. Today i was about to swap the earpads, when the whole system broke off and came off with the earpads, while the screws stayed intact. I can't show the damage, because I feel ashamed to say, but i superglued them where the "teat" that surrounds the screws broke off, on both sides by the way.
Sometimes i changed earpads because i have the grey ones too, for different look and sound. At the same time i found that out why they sound different. The grey ones(for hd579) has the o-rings, but the black one that came with the hd560s doesnt. For the same reason your ears have more space with the grey one. I ordered everything including the headphones from the official Sennheiser website.
20220405_132930.jpg

Im disappointed with the build quality of these, especially, because i really like how they sound. They should last longer than a year, even with everyday use.
Oh, shi...

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #2,440 of 2,621
20220405_132930.jpg

@SBMonster Please check your DM's

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 9, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #2,441 of 2,621
I had previously shared my impressions of the 560s vs the Sundara earlier in this thread. I got a Sundara on loan from a friend a few months back, and I ended up preferring the 560s to them pretty much across the board.

I decided to try a brand new pair of Sundaras. Purchases one a few weeks back and have been using them alongside my other headphones. The last few days I've been comparing them directly with the 560s again, and I've come to the same conclusion I did before: the 560s to me are just a better headphone.

Comfort wise, the 560s are superior for me. The Sundara feel big and unwieldy, and cheaply made. The 560s, despite being all plastic, just feel like they were designed better (which makes sense as Sennheiser has been using this same design on their 5 series headphones for years at this point.). They feel like they'll last forever (despite surface scratches on the plastic headband). The Sundara feel like they will break if I look at them wrong. Comfort and build are sort of a turnoff for me here.

Sound wise, I honestly think the 560s sounds better. The Sundara has this ethereal quality that can wow you at first. It definitely sounds more airy than the 560s. But after extended listening it starts to fall apart IMO. The soundstage, while wide, just presents itself very weirdly. I've said it before, but it's like two planes of sound on either side of your head. There's no depth. The 560s sounds like a 360 degree soundscape with excellent layering.

People also tend to talk about the "plucked" nature of planar sound, but I find it makes it sound decidedly less realistic. The 560s to me sounds more natural. They also have borderline perfect frequency response IMO. The Sundara are tuned very well, but I find myself disappointed a bit in the mids, and the highs can sound slightly harsh sometimes. They overall sound a bit thin too.

I really think what so many love about the Sundara is that ethereal, airy sound. I do like it too, but I just find the 560s sounds more real with more natural soundstage presentation. I remember someone on Reddit saying the Sundara sounded like a headphone tunes by robots to be neutral lol. I agree with that statement.

Anyway, rebuying Sundara has once again given me more appreciation for how great the 560s are. At $179 sale price they are insane. I've seen lots of Xmas posts where people received the 560s as a gift and it makes me happy. Really great that we can get this type of incredible sound for sub $200.

Even if all that's accurate, and I don't doubt it, Sundara's instrument separation makes the experience better than any headphone under it's current price... But only if you listen to congested music: soundstracks, some edm, orchestral...

With that said, I'm tired of dealing with Hifiman QC. I tried 3 Sundaras and all of them were faulty or weirdly sounding. It's fair to say they were "refurbished", but another guy on reddit bought 5 and he suffered the same thing. I might try again with Hifiman in the future, in the meantime 560s is coming tomorrow.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,442 of 2,621
Even if all that's accurate, and I don't doubt it, Sundara's instrument separation makes the experience better than any headphone under it's current price... But only if you listen to congested music: soundstracks, some edm, orchestral...

With that said, I'm tired of dealing with Hifiman QC. I tried 3 Sundaras and all of them were faulty or weirdly sounding. It's fair to say they were "refurbished", but another guy on reddit bought 5 and he suffered the same thing. I might try again with Hifiman in the future, in the meantime 560s is coming tomorrow.
Yeah, I'm also on my third Sundara at this point. I've pretty much reserved myself to the idea that these won't last a long time.

On the flip side, despite some surface plastic scratches, I could see the 560s lasting for decades, like every Sennheiser I've owned. I could see someone thinking the Sundara sounds better, I have to admit it sounds fantastic, but as an overall package the QC and build make it so it's not, IMO, a better overall headphone than the 560s.

May 9, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,443 of 2,621
Yeah, I'm also on my third Sundara at this point. I've pretty much reserved myself to the idea that these won't last a long time.

On the flip side, despite some surface plastic scratches, I could see the 560s lasting for decades, like every Sennheiser I've owned. I could see someone thinking the Sundara sounds better, I have to admit it sounds fantastic, but as an overall package the QC and build make it so it's not, IMO, a better overall headphone than the 560s.

Yeah... I know sound is prioritary for audiophiles, but it gets thrown out the window when you just can't enjoy the sound of certain product because other reasons. It's not just that you are not getting a headphone that works, there is also the paranoia with unit variation (although I read someone on ASR saying Hifiman scores well in that regard).

May 9, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,444 of 2,621
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 9, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #2,445 of 2,621

Yep. As a long time 600 series owner, I also had the Sundara in my stable, but sold it because of my perception of “clunky” build quality, yoke screws loosening, etc. For me, the Senns, though significantly plastic, have excellent fit, finish, and longevity (other than the standard “one year pad collapse”). :)

Think I’d better add the 560S to the family. Senn’s variations, while keeping the essence of their house sound, are really fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back