"The New" Fiio X3 with USB DAC
Dec 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #76 of 147
That's a hard one.. It works flawless for me.. OS and bit?

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #77 of 147
  I can't intall the driver.  I keep getting a message "Failed to read."  And now I don't know where to turn. Have re-installed everything at least 5 times...and, again, I really don't know what to do.

I wonder if there is a problem with the driver package you downloaded?   Sometimes, though rarely, files don't download completely.   At this stage, I would recommend deleting the driver package, clearing your temp folders.  Re-downloading it, and trying again to install it.  As far as I know, few people have experienced problems with the driver installation, when following FiiO's procedure.  So it may be worth starting again from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #78 of 147
Also, what FW do you have on your x3?

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #79 of 147
"FW?"  What is that?  Okay, deleted everything...re-downloaed firmware, and this time I get a message that I got three days ago: "Program is already is running."  But nothing happens when you plug the X3 USB cable into the laptop!

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #81 of 147
Try 2.05 for the x3 and the corresponding driver. Are u running win7 64bit? Be sure to reboot after installation.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #83 of 147
  "FW?"  What is that?  Okay, deleted everything...re-downloaed firmware, and this time I get a message that I got three days ago: "Program is already is running."  But nothing happens when you plug the X3 USB cable into the laptop!

Hi,

If you get a message that a program is already running, I wonder if you stopped the driver before you uninstalled it.  Sometimes, if a program is running, it won't be uninstalled properly.  Some uninstall methods don't attempt to stop a process first, in which case the file cant be deleted.

If you have a MAC, then someone else would be beter than I to assist you.

For windows: 

Do you have a red 'T' symbol in your notification bar?   If you do, then the driver is running.  If you right-click and select exit, the driver will stop.

Next reboot.   If installed correctly, the driver should start in the late boot cycle.  You can verify this by looking for the red 'T' icon in the notification area, and looking for a process called TUSBAudioCpl.exe in the task manager.

Next, put your X3 USB setting into DAC mode and connect it to your laptop.  If all is well, your X3 will display the DAC mode screen when connected, and you will see your X3 in the driver control panel when clicking in the red 'T' icon.

If you get this far, then the driver is installed properly.  If not, then the driver may need a clean install, first exit the driver (as above), then uninstall it, reboot, reinstall, reboot again and reconnect the X3 in DAC mode to the laptop. 

Let us all know how it goes.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #84 of 147
Wow, this is really getting frustrating/disheartening. I bought my X3 from Adorama in New York, and, fortunately they seem amenable to my returning it if I can't get the DAC running.  My understanding of the 2.0 software is that you downloaded it, unzipped it, installed it in an empty micro sd card (yes, fat32), and then started the x3 up by pressing the two buttons to let the firmware do its thing, use settings to change to DAC (instead of storage), hook up X3 USB to my fave laptop, and let my laptop and X3 "talk."  The new firmware did work, but there ain't to talking between the machines. 

Then, I'm advised to install the driver on my laptop.  I go into the unzipped firmware 2.0, and try to use the "setup.exe."  I get a notification that reads "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer....USB Audio 2.0 driver set-up."  I click yes, then I get this message:

Failed to read
c:\users\Tony\appdata\local\temp\$$_79B4\X3_FW2.1_EN\USBAUDIO2.0_WINDOWDRIVER\SETUP.INI_SETUP\COMPANY NAME

I really don't know what to do next!  I do love the sound of this machine (when in storage mode, of course), but I also wanted DAC.  Did I get a defective unit, or does my laptop have a serious problem (Windows 7, i5 core)? 

No, no T on my notification bar...

Thank you
Tony

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #86 of 147
From the user guide: 3. After confirming that the USB mode is “DAC”, connect the X3's micro USB port to the computer's USB port via the prepared USB cable. (for desktop computers, please connect to a rear port and not a port on the front panel), and the X3 will enter the USB DAC interface after startup (except when connected to a windows XP computer). Double click the in the driver package attached to this article, and the following dialog will pop up:

Have you followed above instructions?

Under this page: http://fiio.com.cn/support/download.aspx you should download: X3 USB DAC Driver (for FW2.05). That's the driver. Is that the one you downloaded?

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #87 of 147
Yes, yes, yes!  Followed instructions to the T (at least a dozen times now, after freshly downloading firmware at least 6 times.  Just tried it again.  The X3 is in DAC mode, and is connected to the laptop.  The X3 currently reads 44KHz/24Bits (followed by adjustments for volume,  bas, treble, etc.).  Then I try to run the setup, and get the same "Fale to read" note that is described above!  Aaaaarrrgghhh.....

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #88 of 147
I'm sorry..."FAIL TO READ"...not fale to read!  Wow, I'm going bonkers on this one.  Does Fiio have a help for US buyers.  I don't get a response to emails from three days ago...

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #89 of 147
  I'm sorry..."FAIL TO READ"...not fale to read!  Wow, I'm going bonkers on this one.  Does Fiio have a help for US buyers.  I don't get a response to emails from three days ago...

Frustrating can't be the word eh?  Can't think of much else to try.  I know that FiiO have a skype contact published in one of these X3 threads; you might try that.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #90 of 147
I have been following this thread and, although I use a Mac, I decided to see if I could make the X3 work as a DAC with my Toshiba laptop.  Here's what I did.

1.  My X3 is already updated with the latest firmware - 2.10.

2.  On the PC I downloaded the driver.  Urchinn has referred to unzipping the firmware on the PC.  Make sure you have downloaded and unzipped the DRIVER not the firmware.

3.  Double click Set-Up in the driver directory.  When I did that it told me to connect the X3 before proceeding.  At this point (aside from a couple of fussy Windows messages about unknown drivers) it proceeded successfully.

4.  Then go into the Control panel and select "Hardware and Sound"  then "Manage audio device" - the X3 should show up as "speakers."  Select the X3 and then click properties in the lower right side of the screen.  Select the "Advanced" tab and change the bit rate and bit depth to 192/24.  You can click test to double check. 

5.  Go back to the original screen and right click on the X3 and make it you default device.

6.  I'm using the AIMP3 player and its working fine.  Playing a 192/24 file now.

As I said I usually use my Mac, its nice to have everything working on the PC too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back