"The New" Fiio X3 with USB DAC
Aug 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #136 of 147
Try resetting

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #137 of 147
  I have an issue since a few days : the DAC mode won't work anymore. When I connect the device in USB, the DAC screen on the Fiio is showing only a few seconds and immediately disappears. The device is not recognized on my computer running Windows 8, although the driver is correctly installed (it worked well until recently!). File transfer is still working well. Is anyone else experiencing this issue ? Any clues ?

I have the exact problem!!! Issue is that I made the moronic decision to give-in to the stupid prompts that kept asking me to update to Win 8.1 from 8.0 and I have been repenting ever since :frowning2: The X3 DAC issue is just one of the numerous problems I'm having after updating to 8.1. I am looking forward to going back to 8.0 at the earliest possible chance. (Sorry about the rant..) I was under the impression that Win 8.1 screwed up something with X3 DAC driver and hence the issue.

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #138 of 147
 I have the exact problem!!! Issue is that I made the moronic decision to give-in to the stupid prompts that kept asking me to update to Win 8.1 from 8.0 and I have been repenting ever since :frowning2: The X3 DAC issue is just one of the numerous problems I'm having after updating to 8.1. I looking forward to going back to 8.0 at the earliest possible chance. (Sorry about the rant..) I was under the impression that Win 8.1 screwed up something with X3 DAC driver and hence the issue.

Thanks for pointing this out ! I just reinstalled the driver when device connected, and now it works again.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #139 of 147
Hello everybody. I have problem with USB DAC function on my X3. I have Surface Pro 1 with 64bit W8.1 and when I try to install DAC drivers, durng the instsallastion process there is always a failuer during pre-installation. I already done advanced startup according to guide provided by fiio etc. But without any result. Does anybody know what to do to make it work? Thank you in advance.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #140 of 147
I had the same installation error w/ the DAC drivers on Windows 8.1 (64 bit), and my player is at the 3.0 firmware.

Fiio doesn't mention it anywhere, but you must turn off Windows driver signing for the installation to succeed. See the links elsewhere in this thread for detailed instructions on how to turn off driver signing.

As soon as I did that, everything worked fine with the DAC installation. (along with turning off the X3's sleep mode so it didn't power down every 60 seconds)

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #142 of 147
I did read the "FiiO User Guide3.0.pdf", but didn't find instructions there. They did have one paragraph referring to the "FiiO User Guide-2 (USB DAC)" - but I'm not sure where that is. If you could post a link, I'd appreciate it.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #143 of 147
I just purchased an X3 from B&H a week ago since it was on sale for $130. I find both manuals along with 3.0 firmware are stored on the device, and the firmware version out of the box is 3.2. You may want to check the device.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #144 of 147
Hi Psymon,

I just bought my X3 2nd gen and within a couple of hours I lost my DAC option on my laptop. Did you find any permanent solutions to your problem? I might just sent it back as it is practically new :frowning2:(

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #145 of 147
Not really.

I found out two thimgs though, mainly the fact that the usb host controller on my laptop is very unstable, so alot of the problem disapeared on another pc. secondly the dac got more stable in the newest firmware. I've since sold my x3 and gotten a creative e5 instead.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #146 of 147
  Not really.

I found out two thimgs though, mainly the fact that the usb host controller on my laptop is very unstable, so alot of the problem disapeared on another pc. secondly the dac got more stable in the newest firmware. I've since sold my x3 and gotten a creative e5 instead.

Thanks a lot, It is working now. Most probably it is a firmware issue than the actual port. It was charging from laptop while the DAC was not working meaning there was no connection problem.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #147 of 147
  Thanks a lot, It is working now. Most probably it is a firmware issue than the actual port. It was charging from laptop while the DAC was not working meaning there was no connection problem.

The fact that it is charging is sadly not a way to diagnose a connection problem, as the power and the data connection is not happening on the same USB pins. In my case it was not a physical connection problem, but a bad host controller in my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back