"The New" Fiio X3 with USB DAC
Apr 24, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #121 of 147
@lenhanthanh2001:
I followed the instructions in this post to solve my issue in installing the driver on a Win 8.1 Pro Updated 64bit system:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687402/instructions-regarding-the-installation-of-usb-dac-driver/15#post_10147329

May 7, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #122 of 147
Hey guys,I am looking to buy my first portable Music player and X3 is on my shortlist. Could someone let me know how easy is it to reap CD (not digital music file) from the computer with X3 ? How exactly is it done ?

Thanks for advice.

May 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #123 of 147
OK, by "reap" perhaps you mean rip.  This is the process for converting a CD to digital.  You don't mention what kind of computer you are using, but there are many programs, some free some not, that can be used for this purpose.  In all cases you place the CD in the drive and then use the software to convert the CD into a digital file.  Most have a number of options as to the type of digital file to output. (MP3, FLAC etc)  For the X3 you'll want to use FLAC.  You will have choices as to sample rate and bit depth.  There is no point with CD's in using anything above 44.1Khz 16bit since that is the maximum quality of a CD.  Itunes will also rip CD's for you, but will limit you to Apple supported formats.  (Not FLAC)  If you want to post more information about your computer set up we can give you more help.

May 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #124 of 147
I forgot one point.  Connecting to the X3 is done with a USB cable.  Your computer will recognize the X3 as a disk drive.  I actually use an outboard card reader and transfer files to the card and them plug it into the X3.  However, if you want to write to the X3's internal 8GB of memory, then you have to use a cable.

May 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #125 of 147
  OK, by "reap" perhaps you mean rip.  This is the process for converting a CD to digital.  You don't mention what kind of computer you are using, but there are many programs, some free some not, that can be used for this purpose.  In all cases you place the CD in the drive and then use the software to convert the CD into a digital file.  Most have a number of options as to the type of digital file to output. (MP3, FLAC etc)  For the X3 you'll want to use FLAC.  You will have choices as to sample rate and bit depth.  There is no point with CD's in using anything above 44.1Khz 16bit since that is the maximum quality of a CD.  Itunes will also rip CD's for you, but will limit you to Apple supported formats.  (Not FLAC)  If you want to post more information about your computer set up we can give you more help.

Thanks for the very helpful answer. For your information, I use mainly a Lenovo ThinkPad E430 PC in my office.

May 8, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #126 of 147
I have used Express Rip from NCH Software for some time with Windows.  It's not free, but it does do a good job.  If you buy the X3 remember that you have to install the Windows driver.  This is stored in the internal memory of the X3.  I have installed it on a Windows 7 laptop to test it, but all my music is on my Mac - so I don't use it very much.  This will allow you to store music on your computer and use the X3 in the DAC mode to play songs.  I also have an Audio Engine D1 as I use the X3 mainly as a stand alone player.

May 8, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #128 of 147
The X3 driver comes with the X3 - its stored in the internal memory and you copy it to your computer and then install it.  Nothing to buy from Microsoft.  The X3 will not rip CD's - it only plays digital music files.  You can probably find some freeware to rip CD's.  I mainly work in the Mac world - so I don't have any suggestions.  Maybe someone else will post a suggestion?

May 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #129 of 147
Hi Guys - First post on this site - have been reading with interest for some time now. I'm a long time audio nutter and enjoyed a full Arcam CD/amp series nine setup through Micron Carat bookshelf speakers with KEF coda floorsanders wired through to our second lounge. Last few years have gone mobile which means I had to part company with my bulky home based system hence the search for more compact and computer based systems. Currently using windows 7 - foobar2000 into Fiio X3 in DAC mode running my music library topping out at 740 GB to date although have been slowly ripping my entire CD collection over the last year - I use EAC for ripping. Part of a group over here that collect 24 bit music and we now have an extensive collection of 24bit files from 44.1 to 192KHz. Of course lots of apple files, mp3's and flac files also although I'm ripping the cd's in WAV format. My current computer system uses a  Cambridge audio Minx 200 speaker setup  which has a 24 bit amplifier on board and I also can divert the 24 bit signal into a small chinese valve amp with nicely rolled tubes then into the micron carat speakers. I use twin 4 terabyte western digital blocks to store my music library. The Fiio x3 sound so good however, I wonder if I even need to splash out on the x5? Very intersted in any comments about x3 and x5 comparisons. 

May 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #130 of 147
Also have used an Audioquest dragonfly (version 1 ) over the last two years - The fiio x3 sounds so good I have decided to part company with the dragonfly which sounds superb in any case. The Fiio can just do more with being a music storage player also (currently 64Gb micro card and 8GB on board storage).I think I'm safe letting the dragonfly go now as it tops out at 24bit@96KHz whereas the Fiio x3 is running 24bit@192Khz. Anyone have thoughts on this?

May 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #131 of 147
  Also have used an Audioquest dragonfly (version 1 ) over the last two years - The fiio x3 sounds so good I have decided to part company with the dragonfly which sounds superb in any case. The Fiio can just do more with being a music storage player also (currently 64Gb micro card and 8GB on board storage).I think I'm safe letting the dragonfly go now as it tops out at 24bit@96KHz whereas the Fiio x3 is running 24bit@192Khz. Anyone have thoughts on this?

96 or 192 kHz.. Doesn't matter. At best you'd see many serious DAC manufacturers be annoyed by people craving 192 kHz music. Or rather they are probably annoyed by the fact that you windows doesn't natively support 192 kHz without drivers. Point is, no reason to opt for 192 over 96. Personally, I wouldn't mind owning a NOS dac only doing (48 and 44.1)/16.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #132 of 147
I have an issue since a few days : the DAC mode won't work anymore. When I connect the device in USB, the DAC screen on the Fiio is showing only a few seconds and immediately disappears. The device is not recognized on my computer running Windows 8, although the driver is correctly installed (it worked well until recently!). File transfer is still working well. Is anyone else experiencing this issue ? Any clues ?

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #133 of 147
  I have an issue since a few days : the DAC mode won't work anymore. When I connect the device in USB, the DAC screen on the Fiio is showing only a few seconds and immediately disappears. The device is not recognized on my computer running Windows 8, although the driver is correctly installed (it worked well until recently!). File transfer is still working well. Is anyone else experiencing this issue ? Any clues ?

Is the "Hold" mode enabled on your device?

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #135 of 147
Hi - I suggest you reinstall x3 FW3.0 and reboot - otherwise try X3_FW2.1_EN and reboot as both these upgrades allow the x3 to operate as a DAC as well as player. Just go to Fiio for the updates as are all online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back