The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
May 15, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #1,231 of 2,052
I got my Aeon2 closed yesterday. Running them balanced off my walkman. Sounds amazing. I have alpha primes closed and there is no comparison. Aeon 2 all the way. I still like the AP, but they do sound smaller in the sound stage and depth.

Aeon 2 closed now after a day are more open sounding than a closed headphone should be.

I own very few closed head phones. Never really liked closed headphones. this might be my first pair that sound open.

m usicguy

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,232 of 2,052
I was deeply in love with my Ether 2 headphones, but the time came to part with them and after a few months I got the A2O. I am also impressed with the A2O, but what's lacking compared to the Ether 2 is texture in the sound that made it feel like the bass and mid range had hair on the Ether 2. It's hard to describe, but the resolution on the Ether 2 (from memory) is superior to the A2O. Maybe It's the Monoprice THX 788 DAC/AMP I'm using right now, compared with the Chord Hugo TT2 I was using with the Ether 2, so I haven't ruled that out yet. I'll be getting a higher end DAC/AMP in a couple of months and will hold my final written impressions/review till then.

One thing I definitely prefer on the A2O over the Ether 2 is their shape. I love that I can lean my head back on my desk chair without the headphones hitting the back of the chair. The Ether 2's large round shape always hit the chair's back, so I could never comfortably lean my head back. Small thing, but loving it because when that moment hits you and you just want to drown in the music, there's nothing like leaning my head back, closing my eyes, and drifting away.

Love all of Dan's headphones I've tried so far. I'm very sensitive to sibilance and sharp treble, but never had that problem with any of DCA headphones. I don't even use the damping pads on the A2O and the treble is still nice. You can see my favorite headphones in my signature. Top two so far are definitely Abyss TC and Ether 2.

If you want a more E2 midrange tone try a set of the standard AEON pads instead of the perforated. That warms up the midrange a lot. We're about to announce details on peal-able pads for AEON in the next few days, this will give people at leas two different voicing to switch between at will.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 15, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,233 of 2,052
Would love some advice here for a beginner! So I’m lucky to have both an Aeon 2 Open and also a Focal Clear. After listening to both (with one small exception), I think I like the overall sound of the AF2O better!
I’m trying to learn what my “taste” is and what I like. Does this mean I prefer “warm” headphones?

Also, from my limited knowledge, it’s my understanding that warm headphones on average are less likely to have sibilance? What’s weird is, the Focal Clear has significantly less sibilance than the AF2O. Like it’s night and day, not even close at all even to my beginner ears. Shouldn’t it likely be the other way around, or does the AF2O specifically have a sibilance peak?

May 15, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #1,234 of 2,052
Would love some advice here for a beginner! So I’m lucky to have both an Aeon 2 Open and also a Focal Clear. After listening to both (with one small exception), I think I like the overall sound of the AF2O better!
I’m trying to learn what my “taste” is and what I like. Does this mean I prefer “warm” headphones?

Also, from my limited knowledge, it’s my understanding that warm headphones on average are less likely to have sibilance? What’s weird is, the Focal Clear has significantly less sibilance than the AF2O. Like it’s night and day, not even close at all even to my beginner ears. Shouldn’t it likely be the other way around, or does the AF2O specifically have a sibilance peak?

First, welcome to the hobby and good luck on your journey! You will have lots of fun. And you have started off with two great-sounding headphones!

I wouldn't call the Clear a warm-sounding headphone - I have the Elear and have listened to the Clear and to my ears the Clear is a neutral and well, clear-sounding headphone. I have the Aeon 1 Open and have listened to the Aeon 2 Open and while they do sound different I like them both.

I'm very sensitive to sibilance too, and my experience is that it's very hard to predict which headphone/amp combo will sound sibilant to my ears. Some headphones sound sibilant with some amps and not with others - you just have to try and see what you like. For example, the Elear/Schiit Lyr 3 combo sounds spectacular to my ears. Other headphones (like the Sennheiser HD 800) sound sibilant to my ears all the time regardless of the amp used. YMMV, as we usually say.

May 15, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,235 of 2,052
First, welcome to the hobby and good luck on your journey! You will have lots of fun. And you have started off with two great-sounding headphones!

I wouldn't call the Clear a warm-sounding headphone - I have the Elear and have listened to the Clear and to my ears the Clear is a neutral and well, clear-sounding headphone. I have the Aeon 1 Open and have listened to the Aeon 2 Open and while they do sound different I like them both.

I'm very sensitive to sibilance too, and my experience is that it's very hard to predict which headphone/amp combo will sound sibilant to my ears. Some headphones sound sibilant with some amps and not with others - you just have to try and see what you like. For example, the Elear/Schiit Lyr 3 combo sounds spectacular to my ears. Other headphones (like the Sennheiser HD 800) sound sibilant to my ears all the time regardless of the amp used. YMMV, as we usually say.
Thanks for the reply! Maybe I misinterpreted, but I was saying that since I prefer the Aeon 2 Open over the Focal Clear, would that infer I have a preference for warm headphones? I have heard a lot that the Clear is neutral, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of reviews yet on the Open Aeon 2 (everyone seems to be reviewing the closed).
So I was wondering what the Aeon 2 Open would classify as (warm, neutral, bright, dark, etc), since that’s what I’m liking?

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,236 of 2,052

Sibilance is a complicated thing as it covers a wide range of frequencies, and can also be related to ringing or resonances in headphones. Generally speaking headphones with lots of energy in the 4-10k range can be prone to extra sibilance. The Aeon 2 open IMO has some extra energy from around 5.6-6k and at about 7.2k which could potentially excite sibilance, though IMo it handles it quite well and doesnt add any that isnt there in the recording. This is my preference as I think the headphone should reveal sibilance just not enhance it to the point of annoyance but may not be to everyones taste. The Focal Clear has a pretty big dip from about 7.2-8.5k so my guess is you are somewhat sensitive to that region and that is why the Aeon seems more sibilant. That region bothers a lot of people actually, its why its pretty common to dip it there.

. "Warm" refers to extra energy in the lower midrange/upper bass region so it is possible for a headphone to be both warm and have extra energy in the treble at same time so there is not too much relationship between warmth and sibilance. The Amiron Home is the best example of this possible as it is both super warm (loads of lowermid/upper bass energy), and very bright(loads of treble) at the same time which can excite sibilance (at least it did with me!). It is true though that typically " warm" headphones also go for somewhat subdued treble which is why many would have this impression.

As far as your preferences, it depends on why you enjoy the Aeon 2 more. If you think it has a richer more natural kind of sound then probably your preference is for warmer headphones. If you find the Clear to be sort of overly aggressive or excited sounding you may prefer more laid back upper mids like the Aeon has. There are quite a few reasons why one might like the Aeon better.

May 15, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,237 of 2,052
Sibilance is a complicated thing as it covers a wide range of frequencies, and can also be related to ringing or resonances in headphones. Generally speaking headphones with lots of energy in the 4-10k range can be prone to extra sibilance. The Aeon 2 open IMO has some extra energy from around 5.6-6k and at about 7.2k which could potentially excite sibilance, though IMo it handles it quite well and doesnt add any that isnt there in the recording. This is my preference as I think the headphone should reveal sibilance just not enhance it to the point of annoyance but may not be to everyones taste. The Focal Clear has a pretty big dip from about 7.2-8.5k so my guess is you are somewhat sensitive to that region and that is why the Aeon seems more sibilant. That region bothers a lot of people actually, its why its pretty common to dip it there.

. "Warm" refers to extra energy in the lower midrange/upper bass region so it is possible for a headphone to be both warm and have extra energy in the treble at same time so there is not too much relationship between warmth and sibilance. The Amiron Home is the best example of this possible as it is both super warm (loads of lowermid/upper bass energy), and very bright(loads of treble) at the same time which can excite sibilance (at least it did with me!). It is true though that typically " warm" headphones also go for somewhat subdued treble which is why many would have this impression.

As far as your preferences, it depends on why you enjoy the Aeon 2 more. If you think it has a richer more natural kind of sound then probably your preference is for warmer headphones. If you find the Clear to be sort of overly aggressive or excited sounding you may prefer more laid back upper mids like the Aeon has. There are quite a few reasons why one might like the Aeon better.
Thumbs up on your comments on true (and correct) sibilance. Too frequently I see posts wanting to get rid of all sibilance.

May 15, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,238 of 2,052
Thumbs up on your comments on true (and correct) sibilance. Too frequently I see posts wanting to get rid of all sibilance.
And the great thing about Dan's headphones are the filters that you can use to tame down higher frequencies if they bother you. right now I am using my AEON2C with the black felt pad, but some people prefer no pads at all, to each their own. Its all good as long as you are enjoying them.

May 16, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,239 of 2,052

Thank you for the reply! You are correct in that I don’t think the AF2O are sibilant (I did a bunch of sibilant test tracks and they were just fine), it’s more that the Clear’s are incredibly un-sibilant.

And I definitely don’t have the vocabulary to transfer what I’m hearing into words. But my best shot is that the Clears sound “hollow” or “thin” to me, while the AF2O sounds “meatier” and like it has more substance and “oomph” to it. Just less hollow of a sound overall. That’s the best I can think of to describe it as a layman!

May 16, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #1,240 of 2,052
Thank you for the reply! You are correct in that I don’t think the AF2O are sibilant (I did a bunch of sibilant test tracks and they were just fine), it’s more that the Clear’s are incredibly un-sibilant.

And I definitely don’t have the vocabulary to transfer what I’m hearing into words. But my best shot is that the Clears sound “hollow” or “thin” to me, while the AF2O sounds “meatier” and like it has more substance and “oomph” to it. Just less hollow of a sound overall. That’s the best I can think of to describe it as a layman!

Yep sounds like you are into warmer headphones then, that is a good way to describe them, they sound "thicker or "fuller" than colder headphones, Aeon 2 is a great example of one!

May 16, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #1,241 of 2,052
Yep sounds like you are into warmer headphones then, that is a good way to describe them, they sound "thicker or "fuller" than colder headphones, Aeon 2 is a great example of one!
Yes, those two adjectives also match/fit with what I'm hearing that I like :) So if it's a true statement to say that in general warm headphones are thicker and fuller, then I guess I'm a fan of warm headphones! Glad I figured that out haha.

May 17, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #1,242 of 2,052
Our review of the AEON 2 Closed shows some solid improvements physically and sonically over the older version (with comparison to the open back AEON 2 also).

https://headfonics.com/2020/05/dan-clark-audio-aeon-2-closed-review/

1589715823676.png

May 17, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,243 of 2,052
Struggling to choose between these and Sony Z1R, which I can get around the same price (or cheaper) used.

I'm a bit worried the bass of the Z1R which some people say is very good while others say its too much. I must say I do prefer analytical more than bass-heavy overall.

May 17, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #1,244 of 2,052
Struggling to choose between these and Sony Z1R, which I can get around the same price (or cheaper) used.

I'm a bit worried the bass of the Z1R which some people say is very good while others say its too much. I must say I do prefer analytical more than bass-heavy overall.
I only had a brief session with an aeon 2 closed and I rather liked it for the music I enjoy (Hans Zimmer , Volbeat, Alice Merton to name a few).
I think the Sony headphones are darker so generally not as well suited to analytical listening I guess?

May 17, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #1,245 of 2,052

I own both and while I prefer the bass of Z1R and bigger soundstage with more of fun sounding tuning. I like the mids on the Aeon and more even tonal balance but still not too analytical. And a big plus you can tune the treble to your liking. The advantage of the Aeon is that you are dealing with small company directly and the customer service is amazing. You know if something ever happens to your headphones even after warranty expires you know you will be taken care off. With Sony I am not confident I will get proper support if something ever happens. Especially with parts and actual service. Now if I lived in Japan Z1r would be my choice. Both are great headphones

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back