The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Nov 17, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #1,606 of 2,052
I need a new 4.4mm balance cable for my aeon 2 closed. Any recommendations with international shopping option available? Thanks guys!
Whatever you decide on and this is only my personal opinion, get a cable with genuine hirose connectors and try to avoid ones built with evalucon connectors. I've repaired a few cables with those on due to the pins being a bit hit and miss quality wise. I'm sure plenty of people have had no problems with their cables, but given the option and the cost of your Aeons .........

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #1,607 of 2,052
Has anyone compared the AFC 2 to the new closed headphone from Focal?

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #1,609 of 2,052
Nov 19, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #1,610 of 2,052
The Bentley headphone, I believe it is called Radiance or something like that.
Isn't that just an Elegia with a new look?

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,612 of 2,052
Hopefully, they'll soon be available in the local stores for auditioning. I'll be sure to pit the AEON 2 Closed and the Elegia against the Radiance then.

With that being said, I don't think the Radiance will be anything more than a re-tuned Elegia.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,613 of 2,052
Been reading some about the Elegia on various comms. If it's anything like it's being described, the two could easily be complementary in signature. The later (non pre-order) production version of the A2C have quite a basshead ambition to them. Make sure you get to hear that version.

Which kind of made me think the early original AFC, that Tyll reviewed, might have easily been one of the earlier bass heavy version. Kind of makes me nervous that, that one, might have actually been much closer to the current AFC RT than the AFC I own.

Which really sucks if that is the case, meaning it was done completely in silence by Dan Clark Audio, then MrSpeakers.

:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #1,614 of 2,052

I don't have AFC2, but I have the Ether C's, and I have the Elegias, and I've run them both off the same amp (Ares 2 dac, Woo WA5-LE, balanced cables).

The Elegias are comfortable, have decent bass, and love to be turned up a few notches. They're just not very good SQ at low volumes, though, and they don't have a great sound seal either (unfortunate, since they really need more volume to be enjoyed). They're *not* bad headphones, but they are a definite *large* step down from the Ether C's. (They do *look* more expensive than they feel and than they sound, if you know what I mean.) Detail is fine once they're up a few notches in volume, though, and I do enjoy the bass. Frankly, I expected better from Focal, and thus I felt a bit let down by the Elegias. Good enough to keep and use and even enjoy, but not good enough to rave about.

It's hard to be objective on this topic even when I try. I like them fine, but I just haven't bonded with the Elegias. "Sterile build" is the only phrase that comes to mind.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,615 of 2,052
Finished part one of my A/B cable testing and ready to let one go, will list in the correct thread in a while but for anyone interested in it its first come first served. There might be others up for grabs later but for now it's a 7N OFC 8 core braided with a 4.4mm balanced jack and hirose connectors ( originally from Dan when I was making cables for some primes ) audio grade solder and sealed with loctite 3090 gap filler, these connections are solid ! I'm only charging cost price £55 gift and I'll pay the shipping or PayPal goods and you pay the shipping. First to PM me gets it and I'll ship tomorrow via First Class.
It's 1.2m or 48 inch FYI
20201120_103745.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #1,616 of 2,052
I'm looking around for a portable addition to my headphone life. The foldable nature of these makes them perfect for taking them out on holidays and such. However, have a question concerning how to drive them. My standard phone is an Xperia 1ii, and I also still have my old LG V30 but I heard Darko say in his YouTube review that his LG V40 probably was too light. I wonder what your experience is. Or might a good option be to use LG's nice DAC and only add a little portable headphone amp? Don't want to spend too much (yet) :wink: ...and don't want to be walking around with a large bulk of stuff. Follow-up question would be if a source like a phone plus tiny amp would fit in the case :wink:
I have many audio technica headphones with the W3000ANV as highlight for homelistening on my JDS El amp 1. However, something with a bit stronger bass would be nice. I've been reading about the easier to drive Fostex TH900 which are obviously bassheavy, but how do these Aeon 2's land considering bass quantity and quality? Can get both from secondhand market nearby for roughly about the same price and know that they are probably not alike at all, but still would be interested if somebody can say something smart about whatever comparison... :wink: thanks!

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #1,617 of 2,052
I'm looking around for a portable addition to my headphone life. The foldable nature of these makes them perfect for taking them out on holidays and such. However, have a question concerning how to drive them. My standard phone is an Xperia 1ii, and I also still have my old LG V30 but I heard Darko say in his YouTube review that his LG V40 probably was too light. I wonder what your experience is. Or might a good option be to use LG's nice DAC and only add a little portable headphone amp? Don't want to spend too much (yet) :wink: ...and don't want to be walking around with a large bulk of stuff. Follow-up question would be if a source like a phone plus tiny amp would fit in the case :wink:
I have many audio technica headphones with the W3000ANV as highlight for homelistening on my JDS El amp 1. However, something with a bit stronger bass would be nice. I've been reading about the easier to drive Fostex TH900 which are obviously bassheavy, but how do these Aeon 2's land considering bass quantity and quality? Can get both from secondhand market nearby for roughly about the same price and know that they are probably not alike at all, but still would be interested if somebody can say something smart about whatever comparison... :wink: thanks!
Your V40 should do just fine:wink:
It’s max output is 2V which is enough to drive an HD600/650...although if you go by reviewers such as Darko (lovable chap..but wholly wrapped up in snake-oil) you’re bound to get amp recs that end up in you having to walk around with an extra lunchbox.
One caveat: if you find yourself missing volume on some older recordings I’d recommend you look at something like a Dragonfly or a similar sized portable amp.
Best of luck:)

Edith: I recently owned the Aeon Flow RT (same drivers and specs as the new one) and drove it just fine via the SE jack on my Cowon Plenue D2..which incidentally also sports a 2V output.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,618 of 2,052

The low ohm on the Aeon Flow 2 is quite deceiving as its sensitivity is quite low. You want a powerful source to make the most out of this can. Otherwise, the lack of dynamics will make everything seem dull and unsatisfying. It sounds fantastic on my IFI iDSD BL, which has a 4.1 volt output power. I don't recommend DAC dongles with the Aeon (my reference is dragonfly and Ibasso DC02). I used to drive it with my Kann Cube, which also yielded satisfying result to my ears.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,619 of 2,052

I forgot to mention that it also sounds great on the Chord Mojo if you are into that kind of portability. Great pairing overall.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #1,620 of 2,052
Thanks guys! Thing is that it is also nice to enter the field of a bit harder to drive headphones to really hear a large difference when using my EL amp. Not to say that there is no difference between my Sony, LG and EL amp on my W3000anv's, but they are easy to drive so the difference isn't huge I feel. But good to hear that probably the Aeon will work but a small upgrade might be good. I found for example this charming little amp: HELM AUDIO DB12 AAAMP THX AMP. Would that add enough oomph to my LG for these you figure?
I'm mainly streaming Tidal, so otherwise maybe in the future exchanging my LG for a small DAP might be fine, but I'll go to the LG topics for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back