The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jun 6, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #3,406 of 4,136
SB Z or SB Omni should be practically the same at optical output, so I'd say whichever is cheaper.

The DACs built into those aren't bad, so I'd disagree with Rudy and say connecting the Vali to the headphone outs should be fine/better than the Mixamp setup you already use. You could always start SB>Vali>Q701 to start off with and buy an optical DAC later if you want, see if you can hear a difference. The DAC in the Optical Modi (1st gen) and Omni sound extremely similar through headphones.

The X7 basically serves as Sound Processor, DAC, and Amp, so you wouldn't need the Vali at all in that setup (unless you wanted to for flavor). That said, the X7 also has a ton of inputs, so you could feasibly use it instead of the Mixamp with your console too. You choose! It was on Massdrop for a week at $300, not sure if the drop ended yesterday...

Yea I think I'll start of with the sound blaster z > vali > q701 and see how I go.

I'm selling my ps4 plus mixamp so wouldn't get the use of x7 on PC and console.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,407 of 4,136
Just been looking at x7 I thought they were £400 for some reason there £280 on Amazon, I just going to order 1. So do I still need the sound blaster z sound card or will the onboard audio from my msi gaming 5 motherboard be ok ? I have no experience with PC sound at all.

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3,408 of 4,136
SB Z or SB Omni should be practically the same at optical output, so I'd say whichever is cheaper.

The DACs built into those aren't bad, so I'd disagree with Rudy and say connecting the Vali to the headphone outs should be fine/better than the Mixamp setup you already use. You could always start SB>Vali>Q701 to start off with and buy an optical DAC later if you want, see if you can hear a difference. The DAC in the Optical Modi (1st gen) and Omni sound extremely similar through headphones.

The X7 basically serves as Sound Processor, DAC, and Amp, so you wouldn't need the Vali at all in that setup (unless you wanted to for flavor). That said, the X7 also has a ton of inputs, so you could feasibly use it instead of the Mixamp with your console too. You choose! It was on Massdrop for a week at $300, not sure if the drop ended yesterday...

Well I didnt say they are bad Evs, what I meant to say to not double amp since that can sometimes bring in some not so lovely stuff into the sound...sometimes. As you said before, modi DAC ~ SB Z DAC. They should practically be the same, Im just trying to avoid him doing double amping, but I mean if he does not care about double amping, thats fine for him. I have issues double amping, hence thats why I prefer not to double amp. I guess its preference

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #3,409 of 4,136
Just been looking at x7 I thought they were £400 for some reason there £280 on Amazon, I just going to order 1. So do I still need the sound blaster z sound card or will the onboard audio from my msi gaming 5 motherboard be ok ? I have no experience with PC sound at all.

Honestly, like I said, your motherboards sound is probably poo comapred to dedicated sound cards. Even if it has creatives software, its just software and Im not sure but i think your motherboard still uses realtek audio chipset.

With the X7 you dont need an SB Z anymore. X7 is all you need. The X7 is run through USB for PC and optical for consoles and should be better than your mix amp and your onboard audio.

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #3,410 of 4,136
Honestly, like I said, your motherboards sound is probably poo comapred to dedicated sound cards. Even if it has creatives software, its just software and Im not sure but i think your motherboard still uses realtek audio chipset.

With the X7 you dont need an SB Z anymore. X7 is all you need. The X7 is run through USB for PC and optical for consoles and should be better than your mix amp and your onboard audio.

Ok sounds good and the x7 will be good enough on its own ?

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #3,411 of 4,136
Ok sounds good and the x7 will be good enough on its own ?

From what I have read, yes.

I had the SB Z at one point and like the quality. The problem was that the amp that my SB Z had was defective and returned it. Right now I only have an Asus xonar DG which does dolby headphone and its okay but I do like the SB Z better. I would expect better from the X7 on its own.

I do plan on getting an X7 later on this year, as soon as I have more money lol.

But if you want to get the X7 and offset the cost, sell your Astro Mix amp. You wont need it once you have the X7.

Also it should pair well with your AKGs since the X7 matches quite well with its warmer sound signature.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #3,412 of 4,136
Is there a sound card in the alienware Area 51 R2?  I noticed I have Sound Blaster Recon3DI installed.  Is that an actual sound card or is it integrated sound?  If so, what type of headphones will it support? hd650? 

I have an x7 creative but did not open it yet, since I may already have a decent sound card or integrated sound in my desktop?

Anyone know? thanks. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #3,413 of 4,136
  Is there a sound card in the alienware Area 51 R2?  I noticed I have Sound Blaster Recon3DI installed.  Is that an actual sound card or is it integrated sound?  If so, what type of headphones will it support? hd650? 

I have an x7 creative but did not open it yet, since I may already have a decent sound card or integrated sound in my desktop?

Anyone know? thanks. 

its probably software based and uses the same realtek sound chip. Im not sure but from what I have seen, alot of motherboards do that. But the X7 will be better than any on board audio. What motherboard does the Alienware Area 51 R2 have? And honestly, this is my opinion but why buy an alienware? I use to think they were cool but when I started learning about PCs and actually building one myself....Alienware are overpriced for what they offer

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #3,414 of 4,136
Thank you for your post.

I cant tell what motherboard it is from the specs.

The reason I bought this as opposed to building is time constraints and deal on a refurb I got the below for $3081.81  after 100 additional credit negotiated with Dell. It included 3 year complete accidental protection as well. The onboard audio sounds good, but I wish I knew what the deal with the sound chip type?

Alienware Area 51-R2 Windows 8.1 Pro$3,181.811$3,181.8104/30/2015
WR1CCAlienware Area 51-R2
211VXTriple 12GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SLI
28HF0USB Optical 2-Button/Wheel Mouse
2RV8XService Software
33RD8Documentation
359TYPlacemat
3E476Certified Refurbished
3Y2JXWindows 8.1 Pro (64Bit)
4F9D1Label
51RVXCyberLink Media Suite
61F2HWindows 8.1 64BIT
65XVXAlienware Multi-Media Keyboard
6HT1PLabel
76YNWShipping Material
85Y47Software
8C2D1Office 365 - 1 Month Trial (Internet access required to install & activate)
95TPJ32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
CRMYPSoftware
CRV33Intel 7260AC Dual-Band 2x2 802.11 ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0
DHC1JInformation
GV0CPWave Systems Software
HT7M4Centauri CPU heatsink
JJJ92Power Cord
K74D7Screw
M3GVROffice 365 - 1 Month Trial (Internet access required to install & activate)
M4PJ3Software
NG6N4Software
P6XPRSoftware
PNNWTShipping Material
PYXX4Screw
RXPC8Information
T2X8CWindows 8.1 Pro
TJXMD4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage
TPFWYAlienware(TM) 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
TT72DSoftware
V5G7FSlot-Load Dual Layer Blu-ray Combo (BR-ROM, DVD+/-RW, CD-RW)
XMJ7FProcessor: Intel Core 5th Generation i7-5930K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
XP3GF256 GB Mobility Solid State Drive

AL Area 51 R2 : 3 Year Protection Plan (In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis + Accidental Damage Service)

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #3,415 of 4,136
Only way you could probably tell what kind of chip it carries is by checking the playback devices, then clicking on your audio source and click on properties and in there, there should be more details of what is running.

As for time constraints......thats just an excuse lol.

I could have easily built something similar for about 2k to 2.5k and brand new. Paying that much for a refurb, even if it has 3 year warranty on it. Although that PC will last quite a while though. I mean, if you have money to spare, then by all means you can buy what you want but many people at overclock.net would be shaking their heads.

But yeah, check your playback devices and click on properties on the device that is being used for audio.

EDIT: I like how they say on one of their PCs it says 2x gtx 970s give you 8GB of GDDR5 Ram when in reality, its still 4GB total, even if you use 2 video cards. SMH I wonder if you can sue them for false advertisement.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,416 of 4,136
Hi all

I have a Creative Titanium HD sound card connected to Audio-Technica AD900 headphones. I am interested in purchasing a headphone amp/dac to compliment my desktop setup for virtual surround sound in games. My question is when selecting a headphone amp/dac for the purpose of virtual surround sound should I be looking at models of headphone dac/amps which excel in the soundstage department? Will a dac/amp with superior soundstage be more effective at positional cues than a dac/amp weaker in the soundstage department? I will be using the dac/amp together with Creative X-Fi CMSS-3D if I can connect it all properly.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,417 of 4,136
  Hi all

I have a Creative Titanium HD sound card connected to Audio-Technica AD900 headphones. I am interested in purchasing a headphone amp/dac to compliment my desktop setup for virtual surround sound in games. My question is when selecting a headphone amp/dac for the purpose of virtual surround sound should I be looking at models of headphone dac/amps which excel in the soundstage department? Will a dac/amp with superior soundstage be more effective at positional cues than a dac/amp weaker in the soundstage department? I will be using the dac/amp together with Creative X-Fi CMSS-3D if I can connect it all properly.

I use Sennheiser HD 700 headphones with a Schiit Asgard 2 amp and Bifrost Uber DAC and a X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) and have to say they work incredibly well with CMSS-3D. The main game I use it with is Halo: Combat Evolved and, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Painkiller. I can pinpoint location of an enemy from the sound of their footsteps extremely well. I can even position myself so my gun is pointing right at them as I'm going around a corner, it honestly feels a VERY unfair advantage. 

I wouldn't worry about amps and DACs with better soundstage. The soundstage that you experience mainly comes from the headphones. You're going to get good positional audio with CMSS-3D with nearly any above-average setup. It will be amplified as you spend more, to a certain point. 

A tip with CMSS-3D if you're gaming competitively. I turn the sound-quality and sound variety all the way down to minimum in the in-game audio settings when I play multiplayer. When you do this you will only hear the important sounds in the game such as gunshots, explosions and footsteps. Effects, such as ambient sounds are removed, much less aural distractions that way.

I bought the HD 700s mainly for their sound-stage, and they work brilliantly. The Schiit equipment I got because of their value and performance (and because the Bifrost has an optical-in for the sound-card).

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,418 of 4,136

I use Sennheiser HD 700 headphones with a Schiit Asgard 2 amp and Bifrost Uber DAC and a X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) and have to say they work incredibly well with CMSS-3D. The main game I use it with is Halo: Combat Evolved and, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Painkiller. 

Just want to add that for older win-xp era games, you can benefit from using creative alchemy or asus GX mode and enabling game options for hardware acceleration. I know tf2 and counterstrike source (possibly cs go too) have a command you can enter - legacy surround something or other.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #3,419 of 4,136
Hi guys,

I tried to read this thread entirely and some others related to my doubt but I really can't make up my mind. 

I got the Schiit M2U combo and Fidelio X2. I think it's end of the road for a few years for me. 
Modi 2 U has USB, optical and SPDIF inputs. I use USB for plain stereo and I was thinking about using one of the others two inputs with a sound card for immersive movie and gaming audio. 
Notice that I don't play competitively so.. I would like to have a immersive sound with ambience and nice sounding, not thin nor treble-ish. I don't care much about positional clues. 
I rater feel and enjoy the experience. 

Have anyone been using something like this with satisfiable results? =) 

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3,420 of 4,136
I have sent plenty of sound cards to external dacs thru optical for years. As long you config the sound card's Virtual headphone up correctly as in setting windows and games to 5.1 with the Sound card panel to headphones. Dolby Headphone,CMSS3D and SBX surround will work very well. Just remember to unselected Full range in the check boxes when you setting the speakers to 5.1 in windows sound options  in control panel so they will work correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back