the most real racing game ever!!!!!
Sep 11, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 61
Argh, I'll never own a wheel anytime soon, which makes the good games with good physics impossible to play.

Sep 11, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #17 of 61
Wheels are getting cheaper these days. This is one of the best force feedback steering wheels you can find (Logitech MOMO) and I got it brand new for $84.00 from www.newegg.com

The laptop is a maxxed out Sager NP8790 with a 256MB Radeon 9700 Pro, P4 3.4Ghz and 1GB RAM.

The Mouse is a Logitech MX-510

myrig2small.jpg

myrigsmall.jpg

Sep 11, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 61
Ouch that game has problems. The load times are bad, the graphics are mediocre at best. The physics are buggy it seems and not even that good. That game pales in comparision to Gt3 in both physics and graphics. Obviously since GT4 is a big improvment on 3 then...this game is gonna bomb.

Yea and Fortza is not looking too good either...the graphics are worse than GT4 and it's on xbox! Not only that but the framerate isn't very good either.

Edit:yea why the hell is my speed locked at 48MPH when I'm in any gear? I know how to use the clutch....what am I doing wrong?

Sep 11, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 61
Oh yea that's right...they're actually cutting down on graphics quality to save the frame rate. Before they made that decision, it ran at like 30FPS. Graphically the game loosk like a pc game...blocky cars and pc like textures...which is a bad thing. Gran Turismo 4 has a much more polished and realistic look.

After playing through all of GT3, everything else just seems to pale in comparision... I do wish GT4 would have more advanced customization options though...I'm sure we'll see it in GT5(which the creator is starting for the ps3 right after 4). *Sighs* sometimes I wish I could time travel...so I could play PS3.
blink.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
Games like that almost always suck. If you're a fan of racing games, check out gran turismo.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/489/489327.html

Check out the screens and videos. GT4 isn't out till this fall though. The GT series is the games every single racing game is judged against and every competitior comes up way short.

Yea and if they were going for realism maybe they wouldn't have the stick wobbling around and not doing anything while it's changing gears?

That stick is only for reverse or use when the shift paddles are inop. watch the shift paddles on the wheel,they move on very shift. I'm telling you,the clips from this game have been circulating all over the racing sites and the near universal opinion from real racers,me included,is that this game is just about perfect.

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #23 of 61
Whoa... that thing looks killer. Mind you, I only saw 1/4 of the pictures, since I'm still on 31.2KBPS dial-up... curses!

I'm a huge fan of racing games, but never really got into sims much. However, that's probably because most of the ones I tried sucked. The most accurate racing game I have that I enjoy and play time and time again is NFS: Porsche Unleashed. It's not too bad; altering tire pressure can change the way the car handles, adding huge wings actually does something, and cars will get squirrely at high speeds (for instance, 190+ MPH in a 964 911 Turbo...).

Anyway, I'll definitely be trying this. Need to get a racing wheel, though. I, like Edwood, have had my eye on those MOMOs for quite some time.

Man... that 3-panel display is insane. I've heard of people doing that with PCs, but 3 Xboxes?! That would be schweet, though...

Reck, what are you, a PS2 fanboy or something? Yeesh. Quit badmouthing products until you try 'em.

Sep 11, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 61
Half of what made GPL so fantastic was the AIs - none of this Gran Tourismoesque idiot cars running into you and taking consistently bad lines, and having no capacity to factor your car into their logic.

Anyone played this and care to comment on the other cars' AI?

Sep 11, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 61
Hm, that video really looked great. Gotta try the game when it comes out. Up until now I've been more interested in rally-sims. Just tried Richard Burns Rally and it seems quite good but with a very steep learning-curve. Anybody here got an idea whether force-feedback hardware would help to get a better feel and more control? I never got to try one of those wheels or sticks.

Seeing that 3-screen setup reminded me of that really nice hardware I've read about lately. A sort of head-tracker that lets you look around in a cockpit in a very natural way. At least it's said to become very natural after some time. Here's a link to a review:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/t...kir3pro-1.html
Also make sure to check out the videos on page four:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/t...kir3pro-4.html
Looks fantastic how he tracked the enemy planes.
This thing must be very nice for racing sims, too.

Sep 11, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
All I can say is [size=xx-large]WOW![/size]

You can say that again.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan_01
if you got an xbox check out Forza Motersports. its the gran turismo killer!

Might want to wait until both Forza and GT4 are actually released before making that claim.

Up until this point, the only new racing game that I know I'll be getting is GT4. But GTR looks absolutely amazing... if that does indeed see the light of day in release form, I've no doubt I'll own a copy.

~KS

Sep 12, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 61
Sep 13, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #28 of 61
The best car games i ever played was this one from EA called motor city online. That was trulely one of the best games ive played in my life, it was that fun. The nascar series from papyrus/sierra was ok but nothing like MCO.

I like roadcorse tracks the best but with MCO you had classic cars, vintage and muscle! so many parts was great. It was a MMOG game you payed to play and i played it for a whole year before the decided to end it. It was more then just a racing game it had almost everything to do with cars. You could buy sell and trade and resell cars and parts and the rare parts. I miss that game, i wish there was somthing like it now with better graphics and tracks. It was kinda like ever quest or somthing you build up your persona with money and cars and stuff and can exchange things with other players.

Sep 13, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by becomethemould
GTR is a simulation. GT1/2/3/4 is not a simulation. it is an arcade game trying to be a simulation. anybody can play GT with a controller/keyboard. try playing GTR with a controller/keyboard.

GT is very much a simulation, just that it's only on PS2, more then 50% of gamers use controller, which is why all cars start off with street tires. put a pair of simulation tires on your car you will notice a big big difference. when you purches simulation tires, it warns you it would be very hard if you are using controller

can you tell me how to play GT with keyboard?
biggrin.gif

maybe because im not really interested in games that shows steering wheel on screen, IMO it's just an eye-candy, having a wheel in your hands and another on screen is just weird, i much perfer bumper view.

I know ill be getting GT4 and it's GT4 logitech wheel when the game comes out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back