the most real racing game ever!!!!!
Sep 13, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #32 of 61
I'm a huge fan of racing games. It's about the only video game I play.

I played GT3 for countless hours, and once I beat the normal game 100%, I started making drifting videos. Loved that game.

GT4 looks impressive, but they didn't have a good booth at E3 this year... so they jury is still out.

I played Forza (at the same booth someone posted a pic of earlier) at E3 this year and I can say WOW!

The physics were dumbed down for the public, but I later convinced one of the booth guys to play with the settings. Man it was a great feel. I drove laguna seca, and it felt as close to the real thing as a screen could give you. The reactions felt perfect. The chassis weight shift wasn't that detectable, but understandibly. Either way, I was impressed, and as much as I race in real life (not as much as tuberoller hehe), that's saying something.

This game looks pretty damn impressive as well... I can't wait to try it out, and own you punks on online play!
biggrin.gif

Been following this game for a while, but never saw anyone post that demo link before. Pretty odd considering the amount of racing sites I visit and how many times this game has come up. Thanks a ton man! Downloading the demo as soon as I get home today... I'll post impressions later.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
i will buy a wheel (the momo feedback) when this game comes out....the keyboard is to hard, i know i can turn better with a wheel

You will not only be able to turn better - you will be able to drive down the straights better.

The racing line is VERY important when you are trying to make a pass. Giving the opponent a yard or two more than necessary will down your chances of a successful pass by 50%.

With a wheel you have more control on the straights. You can plant the car EXACTLY where you want (pressurizing the other driver when you are side by side and forcing him to the inside/outside depending on the type of pass) and you can take turns with just that little dab of countersteer to catch the slide.

here is a video of a pass. Simple slipstreaming really but the pass would have been impossible with a keyboard.

Why?

The keyboard is ON-OFF no intermediate positions. I would have been jiggling the wheel just to keep straight and the fastest way around a circuit is when the wheels are straight. The key to a fast lap is : The guy who keeps his brake-throttle modulation at the right level, keeps the wheel as straight as possible, keeps his wheels on the black stuff - will be fastest.

Download the video here :-

Monza Racing Video

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
You will not only be able to turn better - you will be able to drive down the straights better.

The racing line is VERY important when you are trying to make a pass. Giving the opponent a yard or two more than necessary will down your chances of a successful pass by 50%.

With a wheel you have more control on the straights. You can plant the car EXACTLY where you want (pressurizing the other driver when you are side by side and forcing him to the inside/outside depending on the type of pass) and you can take turns with just that little dab of countersteer to catch the slide.

here is a video of a pass. Simple slipstreaming really but the pass would have been impossible with a keyboard.

Why?

The keyboard is ON-OFF no intermediate positions. I would have been jiggling the wheel just to keep straight and the fastest way around a circuit is when the wheels are straight. The key to a fast lap is : The guy who keeps his brake-throttle modulation at the right level, keeps the wheel as straight as possible, keeps his wheels on the black stuff - will be fastest.

Download the video here :-

Monza Racing Video

in the turns I am turning to hard or to light, and my other fingures are worring about the brakes and down shifts...ahhh to much. i need peedles and a wheel I tell you...lol

my arms do the turning, my thumbs do the shifting and my feet do the gas/brake....yayyyyy

lol
is the momo logitech the best out there? its the only one that pops up the most..as far as top of the top

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
is the momo logitech the best out there? its the only one that pops up the most..as far as top of the top

I am aware of one wheel which is better but is very hard to find. I cant even find it on google now...but it is there.

This is a replica of an F1 steering wheel with brake bias, traction control, Launch control, engine rich/lean, radio...everything on the wheel. Leather and Magnesium Aluminum Alloy parts. Digital tracking with force feedback and no dead zone.

The wheel is near impossible to find. Good luck
wink.gif

Anything above the momo will be overkill. The momo itself is overkill with nice thick runner grips, no dead zone, superb tracking, nice feel to the pedals and shifters and LOADS of buttons...

Get the momo from newegg (best price from a reliable source) and have fun...

Im getting back to my racing now
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #38 of 61
the best mass market wheel is the logitech momo force feedback wheel. that one is discontinued now, it had full leather stitching and aluminium on the 'dash'. i think it was around 200-300US when new. logitech have replaced that wheel with the logitech momo racing force feedback which is not leather or aluminum but all plastic. it's still pretty solid though. that wheel is the one i linked with the ebay auction.

i think the more hardcore guys use the logitech wheel with act labs pedals which has a clutch pedal.

anyway if you are serious about simulation racing head over to here: http://www.rscnet.org/

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #39 of 61
Post your lap times from the GTR Demo
eggosmile.gif

I did a few flying laps in the Lister GT on the Spa Francorchamps circuit using the default Setup-1.

I was getting 2:30 laps and I was quite surprised...then I realized that unlike F1 the start finish line is after the La Source hairpin
rolleyes.gif

I rattled off a few more laps with the following times (accurate to the second)

2:40
2:39
2:23
2:22
2:17
2:19
2:14
2:13
2:14
2:13

The high 2:13's was the best I could manage. Im going to try some more after tweaking the setup...

Guys - post your times
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #40 of 61
If I can get a job, I'm definitely getting a MOMO. It's been on my list for quite some time. Although I dunno, I've been looking ACT labs offerings, and that would be scwheet indeedy...

Once I get that demo, and a wheel, I'll post my times. Maybe we can start a Team Head-Fi racing, eh?
biggrin.gif

The most realistic racing game I ever saw was Ferrari F355 Challenge. One car (F355), but an insane number of options, tracks, controls... BTW, ignore that first picture on the linked page. I'm talking about the second one, with three screens. The graphics are a bit old (I think it was a port from a Dreamcast game, or perhaps vice versa... Dreamcast-era, anyway), but the gameplay was incredible. I saw this at a truck stop in Missouri, oddly enough. Not the place you'd expect to find something like that.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Post your lap times from the GTR Demo
eggosmile.gif

10:57 is my personal best. I know, I'm so awesome. You're all welcome to touch me.

Don't blame my lack of skills, blame the fact that I cannot play this game on the keyboard, as well as I could not find how to turn off the Pit Limiter until 4 minutes into playing. XD

Sep 14, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyena
10:57 is my personal best. I know, I'm so awesome. You're all welcome to touch me.

Don't blame my lack of skills, blame the fact that I cannot play this game on the keyboard, as well as I could not find how to turn off the Pit Limiter until 4 minutes into playing. XD

Yeah - I had that problem too...stupid L key...its usually the space bar
rolleyes.gif

And then there was the problem with understanding what the stupid demo was about really. I was hoping there would be a race or more than one car on the track...I hate driving alone
tongue.gif

I played it for a few minutes and back to F1-2002
wink.gif

I'll wait for the finished version.

BTW - the assists (brakes, steering, lock) etc. must be turned off if you want to be able to wring the car around and drift it a bit...keep the brake assist on if you like...

I drive with wheelspin control set at low.

Aah the luxuries of the Logitech Momo
cool.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Ouch that game has problems. The load times are bad, the graphics are mediocre at best. The physics are buggy it seems and not even that good. That game pales in comparision to Gt3 in both physics and graphics. Obviously since GT4 is a big improvment on 3 then...this game is gonna bomb.

I think you forgot to read the fine print.
rolleyes.gif

OVERVIEW OF PRESS DEMO:
=======================
This is a work-in-progress demo, and does not reflect the quality of the final product.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #44 of 61
I just played the demo and while the graphics were maybe not the best (it is only a demo), everything else was very realistic. I agree that Ferrari 355 was very realistic also. The braking in Gran Turismo doesn't even come close to the realism that the GTR demo or 355 does. I had a lot of difficulty playing on the keyboard though.

Sep 14, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 61
i am thinking of buying ferrari f355 challenge at home. 10k for the 3 monitor arcade machine
biggrin.gif

i've found that driving the lister is easier than driving the morgan. also with these configurations to the momo settings, i've found the driving to be easier, not as sketchy (easy to loose control):

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=151074

btw my best time with the morgan is just under 2:30. i can't string together decent laps before smashing into the walls
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back