the most real racing game ever!!!!!
Sep 14, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #46 of 61
Holy crap!

there are guys out there doing 2:10 second laps!!
eek.gif

Of course they have figured out how to make a few changes to the *.plr files and their own setups...

Im gonna try their setups and see what i can do
cool.gif

If I cant beat the 2:10 (or at least equal it) then I am ashamed that I was once in the racing business
rolleyes.gif

of course...sims are VERy different from real life...but hey
mad.gif
LOL
600smile.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #48 of 61
I did a 2:10:400 lap
cool.gif

I had to use some of the mods listed here :-

Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Settings

I was doing 2:12's and 2:11's but no chance of a 2:10 with those settings...

Did a few more tweaks in windows to the wheel settings and changed a few FFB settings to get it the way I like it.

Ended up with the 2:10:400 lap which I think can be bettered but I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

I expect lap times to drop to 2:08 and 2:09 in the near future with a little bit of tweaking in the force feedback settings. I havent tried this but I suspect driving without force feedback could very well yield those times.

But this is an exercise for tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers yall
eggosmile.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #49 of 61
For f355, get it on dreamcast and give it a whirl. It's pretty good even with the dream cast controller, but tough, of course. I don't know if any good wheels are available but the game and system are dirt cheap.

I've put the sensitivity of the controller all the way down for my gamepad and it's still way too sensitive. For whatever reason, I achieve full lock half way though the action of my controller. Leadfoots need not apply for these HP monsters
rolleyes.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
So you guys got me to order a logitech momo wheel set. Now, what's a good racing game to get for pc?

If you want a bit of classic racing with emphasis on technique (Braking points, apex, weight transfer etc.) Then get the following :-

* EA Sports F1-2002 or newer version
* EA Sports Nascar 2004
* Grand Prix Legends (a new one is around the corner...better to wait)

For a bit of fun get the following :-

* Need for speed underground
* NFS Porsche Unleashed (Older but classy game...loads of fun)

There are several other games out there but these are the ones I have played
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #52 of 61
Ok,you guys suck. You made me buy a Momo kit and I can't get any work done.

best lap time so far

1:57

a tip:

do not brake with throttle lifted. Brake under part throttle and ease out of the throttle as the brakes are applied when taking those two long sweepers. That is where you make time. If you find yourself taking that first long sweeper under full throttle you went in much too slow. There is at least five seconds off your lap times right there.

this game is all about braking just like a real race car. keep up speed where you can while working on braking points entering and throttle application exiting turns.

The feedback from the Momo is a bit harsh and it was hard to stay smooth until I got a feel for the wheel movements. I think this game deserves a more positive wheel. Throttle app and brake force seem to be very good with the Momo but the wheel feedback is kinda goofy. is there some type of hack available to mod this wheel at all?

I noticed righ after my fast lap a message came up and said my lap was "captured". what does that mean?

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #54 of 61
Captured? You did a 1:57 ?!?!?!?
eek.gif

I must seriously SUCK.

What setup did you use? Did you download the setups online? Thats almost 15 seconds faster than my time...unbelievable
frown.gif

Back to the drawing board...just when I though no one could go any faster.

You can tweak the Force Feedback Settings using the link I provided a few threads up
wink.gif

Cheers!
cool.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #55 of 61
Tubey - A Formula One car does a lap of Spa Francorchamps in 1:50 (ferrari) and 1:54 (Minardi).

I cannot believe that a sports car - no matter how well tuned - is capable of a sub 2:00 minute lap.

If this is the case then the game has some serious physics problems and is NOWHERE close to being realistic.

I refute it thus (stubs toe against brake pedal
tongue.gif
)

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #56 of 61
I just did a bit of research.

the 1:57 lap is IMPOSSIBLE...sorry.

Can you please post your replay file (its a *.Vcr file which you can find in the games folder) for us to see...

For example :-

My Replay File : a 2:10 lap around the circuit

Not my best lap ever but plenty of room for improvement. You can see the mistakes into Pouhon (Fast double left hander or Turn 6 and 7), Bus Stop Chicane and La Source.

I have a graphics glitch which paints black polygons on the screen when I get to the main concourse (Bus stop, la source, eau rouge) and blinds me...see how I am feeling my way around there...like a blind man...

Definitely NOT fast.

But I still managed a 2:10:993 and I am sure I can make a 2:09 or even a 2:08 lap with a bit of luck.

Best

gs

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #57 of 61
I can't see your run(replay file) and I'm not able to see my run either. I have no idea what the problem is and I got no idea what research you did. The 1:57 lap is legit. When I get this wheel hacked good I bet I can go faster. Note that I have not been able to duplicate that lap(perhaps a fluke) and my best time since has been a 2:04 with most runs around the 2:07-2:12 area.

I won't be by my main computer for the next few days but I'll try to set up the Momo in my Rv with the laptop.

Sep 16, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #58 of 61
You have to put the *.Vcr file into the folder following this path :-

Game folder (where you installed the game) - this folder is usually called SimBin

SimBin -> GTR Demo -> Replay Data

put the file there and when you startup the game - dont click anything - there is OPTIONS - CONTROLLER - REPLAY - ....

Click on replay and select whichever file you want to see.

Here you can analyze your racing line, see what mistakes you are making...and try to do a better lap.

The fastest time so far is a 2:09:928 without making any illegal moves. I am still half a second slower than that
eek.gif

Can you send me those *.Vcr files of yours with the 2:07 and 2:04 laps?

That will be sweet...hard to believe but if you can prove it - i'll bite
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
If you want a bit of classic racing with emphasis on technique (Braking points, apex, weight transfer etc.) Then get the following :-

* EA Sports F1-2002 or newer version

Ick. Quote:

* EA Sports Nascar 2004

Eww. Quote:

* Grand Prix Legends (a new one is around the corner...better to wait)

Mmm...yum.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #60 of 61
What about the clutch? Any of you guys have a three-pedal set-up? I tried to map the clutch onto one of the buttoms, but it just doesn't feel right.

Tuberoller, that hint about braking without lifting gas sounds intriguing. According to your description it seems to have the same effect as heel-and-toe, but is it the case in real life? I've never driven a car with automatic clutch (e.g. VW's DMG or Alfa's Selespeed) so I don't know how it responds to actions like this.

My best time is 2:35 with the GT-spec car, and 2:44 with the NGT-spec one. Not very good I know, but I played without any assistance (ABS and TC is on high tho). I'm going to try again tonight with Tuberoller's hint, hopefully I can take another 10 secs off that.
biggrin.gif

Also, on my M$ Sidewinder Wheel forcefeedback, the wheel always turn to one side before I start. It's not really a big deal but I'm wondering if it's a general issue.

P.S. gsferrari: How do you make a Vcr file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back