The most forgiving headphone around $150
Jun 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

HariBhushan

100+ Head-Fier
sup head-fi.

I was wondering if you guys know pair of full size cans that are very forgiving. Because i have loads of badly encoded  mp3 files that i just can't listen to on the Senn HD650's or the beyer 880/990's because it reveals every bit of hiss, pops and spikes that is just uncomfortable to listen to with high end headphones.

any suggestions? I've thought about the ATH-m50's, but i have heard those can be too revealiing. So anything decent with a fun, clubby,  bassy(but not too much bass)  in the $150 price range?

thx head-fi !

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 38
In my definition, mate, clubs have waayy too much bass. 
biggrin.gif
 A nitpick, sure, but I thought it was funny you said clubby but not too much.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 38
I don't think he can. It is someone else encoding then him downloading. I think that he wants these headphone just to listen and evaluate the files that are the lower quality. I think JVC HARX headphones might do well? I don't honestly know, i've never heard such a question.

Quote:
How about you encode your MP3 files better?
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 38

Quote:
I think JVC HARX headphones might do well? I don't honestly know, i've never heard such a question.

When i use the JVC's i still hear the popping and hissing coming from music. IMO is not a headphone problem. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 38
I feel your pain...

I'm working on a solution for that, using a cascade of tubes.  I just picked up an Indeed G2, locally, and I'm going to try it out from the tube out of my Maverick Tube Magic DAC/amp combo for double the tube-y warmth on SNES soundtracks.  I also want to try out the Sony XB700s for that purpose.  They look like a 'guilty pleasure' kind of 'phone.

While not full size, you may want to consider the Koss KSC75 or the Porta Pros.  They are both very good for the money, and may suit your other needs.  I just got a pair of KSC75s to sleep in, for $14 from amazon, and I'll probably put a review sooner or later.  Haven't listened to them a whole lot yet, but the seem to have just the right amount detail for that kind of thing.  Not smeared together, nor revealing of every last flaw in your source.  I believe some of the full size Koss 'phones use the same, or similar drivers, so you might want to check them out.

I don't think I'd bother spending that much money on 'phones you plan to use to hide details.  I'd give comfort, fit, price, and other factors more consideration, and that way you're likely to end up with something that's resolutely lo-fi, but with a fun sound.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 38
The Sennheiser PX100 might be just the ticket.  They are warm and bassy, comfortable and surprisingly forgiving.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 38
Ditch your mp3's. If you need cd quality albums for cheap sign up for magnatune.com, $45 for 3 months of full download access to over 1000 independent musician albums.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 38
Sony XBx00? 

EDIT: They might be too much bass 
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 38

Quote:
wink.gif

Quote:
Ditch your mp3's. If you need cd quality albums for cheap sign up for magnatune.com, $45 for 3 months of full download access to over 1000 independent musician albums.

I actually buy all my albums from Amazon/Itunes/FiXT,  but it's physically impossible to find each and every song that was recommended to you/ something you liked from a youtube video - - to be in 320kbps/flac quality.... you just can't.  So you have to resort to downloading them from limewire or something [which sucks for mid to high end cans since each and every mistakes of badly encoded recording rises up to the surface; making it a pain to get through the finish line without flinching in sheer agonizing pain.

The HD650's can be forgiving and revealing at the same time, but the sharp tone/tune/mistakes/whatever you want to call it from terrible recording still make their way heard. I was looking for something a notch or 2 below my Senn's or Beyer's, but now I have to settle with something that's 10 levels below? 20 dollar KossPorta Pro or the Koss KSC75; which are 10 dollars is what i have to settle for? Honestly? (LMAO)

c'mon head-fi. you can do better than that. There has to be a semi-decent fun, balanced & forgiving headphone out there in the $100 to $150 range that will suit my needs. 
cool.gif

@ Joelpearce/Sp]Wild Hmmmm, PX100's eh? They're only 40 bucks or so, But are they trustworthy? The build seems very fragile to me, although people do give them a good name on Amazon.  This might actually be the ticket, but if I'm willing to juice out another 100 bucks for better S.Q and better construction, shouldn't i wait a little longer to get some other recommendations? 

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 38
I've had my PX100s for about 6 years now.  They are in great shape.  I haven't put them through hell, but they've been well used.  They are so light that as long as you're careful with them, they will last.

You could do better for 150, but as you get better, you get more revealing, and you get punished for those crappy files.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:
wink.gif

Quote:

If you can find everything you'd like to listen to in good quality, then good for you, but neither the op nor I can.  Not just because we don't want to pay for it, (have you seen the prices on imported Jpop CDs!!) but because it doesn't even exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back