The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #3,931 of 4,317
Hey, question regarding double and triple-flange tips.  I've never used anything but single-flanges so I gotta ask:

Do multi-flange tips have worse comfort?

The main positive things that everyone seems to say regarding multi-flange tips are their seal and audio quality, but nothing much about the comfort.  Meanwhile one of the main things people seem to mention regarding the various single-flange tips is their comfort.  Therefore, I'm getting the impression that multi-flange tips are for better isolation while single-flange tips are for better comfort - is there any truth to this?

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #3,932 of 4,317
Comfort is subjective.  Most people find triple flange tips intrusive at first but you get used to wearing them pretty quick.  If you have steeply angled ear canals it can be difficult, however.  Double-flanges aren't much different from single flange tips provided you can find a properly-sized pair.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3,933 of 4,317
So basically if comfort is the primary concern and you're OK with the sound quality and isolation provided by the stock (9963 in this case) tips, it would probably still be safer to go with a single-flange.

Just wanted to make sure.

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #3,934 of 4,317
Hey, question regarding double and triple-flange tips.  I've never used anything but single-flanges so I gotta ask:

Do multi-flange tips have worse comfort?

The main positive things that everyone seems to say regarding multi-flange tips are their seal and audio quality, but nothing much about the comfort.  Meanwhile one of the main things people seem to mention regarding the various single-flange tips is their comfort.  Therefore, I'm getting the impression that multi-flange tips are for better isolation while single-flange tips are for better comfort - is there any truth to this?

Double and triple flange tips extend the the nozzle about 1/8 inch, making it more comfortable for some. . I think comply T400 tips work the best out of all the tips. They make a perfect seal add bass, tame a little of the harshness, but shrink e sound stage a bit.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #3,935 of 4,317
Quote:
Double and triple flange tips extend the the nozzle about 1/8 inch, making it more comfortable for some.

But wouldn't that only apply to when the IEM housing itself is causing discomfort?  I mean the tips only.

I think comply T400 tips work the best out of all the tips. They make a perfect seal add bass, tame a little of the harshness, but shrink e sound stage a bit.

I'm already very aware of the various single-flange tips that are recommended in this thread, which is why I wanted to ask for some clarification on the benefits (other than isolation) of multi-flange tips.

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3,937 of 4,317
Ok. Tried to post some pictures but I guess my account doesn't have those privileges. I went ahead and rewired my 9927's with the cord from some HTC HS-S260 earbuds - $6 - Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DEF4QKS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I ordered them because of their super low cost, flat/tangle-free cord, and the in line mic/button which I use with the JAYS Headset control app to control my music through click sequences. I also have always liked the build quality of HTC's products and these, despite the low cost, still have a pretty premium feel to them.

I followed the rewiring instructions on page 1 for disassembling the MEP's. I did wreck the seam a little bit while prying them apart, so it's a good idea to be careful during that part if that'll bug you. I think that the 99-- models are probably a little bit harder to get apart than the 8320's because of the matte finish (which the glue better adheres to).

The HTC's were very easy to disassemble. I used a knife, but easily could have peeled off the soft rubber from the front of the earbud off with a finger nail, revealing the driver. This literally took about 7 seconds.

Getting a flat cord through the strain resists in the MEP's seems impossible, but I cut the rubber a little bit shorter and used some sharp narrow scissors to hold the hole open and get the rubber of the wire through. Needless to say, those cords aren't going to move a bit.

Again following instructions from page 1, soldered all the wires back and glued the cases back together (I had never soldered before today).

The final result is really great. Fabric cords have no place in my home, and to my surprise the mic and button control both work really well. Since I now still have 2 sets of 9927's, I'll probably mod them in other ways and report back. Links to pictures are below.

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/1928/qnnq.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img132/415/dhe6.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img42/903/36ft.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img31/4726/5eec.jpg

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #3,938 of 4,317
  Ok. Tried to post some pictures but I guess my account doesn't have those privileges. I went ahead and rewired my 9927's with the cord from some HTC HS-S260 earbuds - $6 - Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DEF4QKS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I ordered them because of their super low cost, flat/tangle-free cord, and the in line mic/button which I use with the JAYS Headset control app to control my music through click sequences. I also have always liked the build quality of HTC's products and these, despite the low cost, still have a pretty premium feel to them.

I followed the rewiring instructions on page 1 for disassembling the MEP's. I did wreck the seam a little bit while prying them apart, so it's a good idea to be careful during that part if that'll bug you. I think that the 99-- models are probably a little bit harder to get apart than the 8320's because of the matte finish (which the glue better adheres to).

The HTC's were very easy to disassemble. I used a knife, but easily could have peeled off the soft rubber from the front of the earbud off with a finger nail, revealing the driver. This literally took about 7 seconds.

Getting a flat cord through the strain resists in the MEP's seems impossible, but I cut the rubber a little bit shorter and used some sharp narrow scissors to hold the hole open and get the rubber of the wire through. Needless to say, those cords aren't going to move a bit.

Again following instructions from page 1, soldered all the wires back and glued the cases back together (I had never soldered before today).

The final result is really great. Fabric cords have no place in my home, and to my surprise the mic and button control both work really well. Since I now still have 2 sets of 9927's, I'll probably mod them in other ways and report back. Links to pictures are below.

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/1928/qnnq.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img132/415/dhe6.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img42/903/36ft.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img31/4726/5eec.jpg

bravo sir! looks great! i do see a little opening on the first picture but looks good regardless!

looks like a completely new iem! 

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3,939 of 4,317
  bravo sir! looks great! i do see a little opening on the first picture but looks good regardless!

looks like a completely new iem! 

Thanks! Glad you like them. That little opening is where I screwed up the seam a little. The casing is closed but the outer plastic is damaged from prying. Not going to lie, stuff like that does bug me so I may fill it with some resin and smooth it all out. I want to take a dremel to the outside of the case to get rid of the little extrusions and improve comfort and aesthetics.. So that's stuff I'll probably do sometime soon.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3,942 of 4,317
Monoprice better put the 9963s on sale next, it's like they're trying to troll me by only putting the IEMs with the fabric cable on sale. >_>

(for reference the 9927s were on sale at Halloween)

I just keep hoping someone with a bunch of tips to try out the stock 9963 tips...I'm just paranoid of side-grading (rather than upgrading), that's all.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3,943 of 4,317
  Monoprice better put the 9963s on sale next, it's like they're trying to troll me by only putting the IEMs with the fabric cable on sale. >_>

(for reference the 9927s were on sale at Halloween)

I just keep hoping someone with a bunch of tips to try out the stock 9963 tips...I'm just paranoid of side-grading (rather than upgrading), that's all.

The 9963 tips appear to be roughly the same size and shape as those on the others, only made using clear silicone rather than pigmented. The problem for most people seems to be that, because the unit is so large, the included tips (which on my 9927's aren't bad, just average) can't go far enough into the ear to create a decent seal. The aftermarket tips of choice, the Comply T400's are much longer and are made of memory foam akin to that used in ear plugs. They will typically create a better seal and possibly allow the bulbous casing to sit more comfortably, as you're not having to hammer it into the side of your head. SO I'd say if you feel like: you're not getting a very good seal between your inner ear and the outside world, acquiring a good seal positions the unit uncomfortably in your ear, or you just can't even fit the thing in your ear - yes. Aftermarket tips will be a terrific buy! Even if you feel like they fit fine, no discomfort, T400's feel nicer and more secure than silicone tips (especially for long listens and listening while being active).

If you're having discomfort though due to the sharp extrusions on the outer casing, it's unlikely that aftermarket tips will solve this problem. I have this problem and am probably going to take some sandpaper to them soon.

Also I don't think anyone is trying to troll you. I think most people just don't want these in white or don't care about the cord.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3,944 of 4,317

The 9963 tips appear to be roughly the same size and shape as those on the others, only made using clear silicone rather than pigmented.

I own both the 9927 and 9963 IEMs and I can definitely attest that the 9963's tips are more comfortable than the 9927's.  Seal has not been an issue and comfort hasn't really been much of an issue, but I can still feel that they're in my ears, so I'd still like even better comfort if I can.

If you're having discomfort though due to the sharp extrusions on the outer casing, it's unlikely that aftermarket tips will help. I have this problem and am probably going to take some sandpaper to them soon.

The casing comfort has been fine ever since I did the fin-shaving mod.

Also I don't think anyone is trying to troll you. I think most people just don't want these in white or don't care about the cord.

I meant that Monoprice is trolling me. :p

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #3,945 of 4,317
Apologies for the double post, but I just noticed that LostEarBuds on Ebay has double-flange tips available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160991944211

This seems like a much easier and elegent solution than buying triple-flange tips and sef-modding them into double-flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back