The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Dec 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #3,961 of 4,317
thougt i would throw a quick note on here.

Life has kept me away...to much going on.   Anyway a fellow headfier's observations on a pair of my full modded 9927's that i sent him have made me revisit just how good stock 9927's are.

First thing forget filtering...even the Rin filter kill some of the vibrancy and drive of these babies.  Make sure they are absolutely sealed and break them in well and to really hear them at their best use
good equipment...not necessarily expensive just well balnced, musically neutral stuff.   Cyanoacrylate damping improves them even more in that regard but getting both sides equally doped is a challenge.  Larger bore noozles definetly improve the highs as do larger bore tips.  The lostearbud clear double flange available on ebay feel the best of anything.  My only issue is that I would like something with a longer length.  I am working on gluing together stacked double flanges to accomplish this.  But the lostears are soft and very compliant.  Even with medium canals you can probably fit a large and get a better seal.  That is a huge thing with the 9927's.   I still get the best sound with hifiman large double flanges.  But i have retrogressed(actually progressed back) to stock..  I prefer the feel of my tweaked foam sleeve version...but the stock one seal better.  This has made enough difference along with the doping that i have completely soured on any filtering with these.
Even the rin filters...which add a very pleasing warmth and liquid but sacrifice neutrality and vibrancy and bass punch.  A tight seal balances the sound so well that you really don't miss that but with filters the sound is duller and less involving despite the wonderful tonality and liquidity.   That makes these even more amazing in my opinion.  If your game do the rin mod cut off the noozles use 3/16" diameter pvc model tubing.  Try cyanoacrylate damping as well with calibrated droppers,available at hobby stores.  And no filtering.  Seal them in your ears as tight as you can stand.  They are amazing.   Otherwise go stock get an excellent seal and be happy. Nothing under  a couple hundred dollars rivals even that from my experience.

Happy Listening!

JGWTRIODE!

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #3,962 of 4,317
  thougt i would throw a quick note on here.

Life has kept me away...to much going on.   Anyway a fellow headfier's observations on a pair of my full modded 9927's that i sent him have made me revisit just how good stock 9927's are.

First thing forget filtering...even the Rin filter kill some of the vibrancy and drive of these babies.  Make sure they are absolutely sealed and break them in well and to really hear them at their best use
good equipment...not necessarily expensive just well balnced, musically neutral stuff.   Cyanoacrylate damping improves them even more in that regard but getting both sides equally doped is a challenge.  Larger bore noozles definetly improve the highs as do larger bore tips.  The lostearbud clear double flange available on ebay feel the best of anything.  My only issue is that I would like something with a longer length.  I am working on gluing together stacked double flanges to accomplish this.  But the lostears are soft and very compliant.  Even with medium canals you can probably fit a large and get a better seal.  That is a huge thing with the 9927's.   I still get the best sound with hifiman large double flanges.  But i have retrogressed(actually progressed back) to stock..  I prefer the feel of my tweaked foam sleeve version...but the stock one seal better.  This has made enough difference along with the doping that i have completely soured on any filtering with these.
Even the rin filters...which add a very pleasing warmth and liquid but sacrifice neutrality and vibrancy and bass punch.  A tight seal balances the sound so well that you really don't miss that but with filters the sound is duller and less involving despite the wonderful tonality and liquidity.   That makes these even more amazing in my opinion.  If your game do the rin mod cut off the noozles use 3/16" diameter pvc model tubing.  Try cyanoacrylate damping as well with calibrated droppers,available at hobby stores.  And no filtering.  Seal them in your ears as tight as you can stand.  They are amazing.   Otherwise go stock get an excellent seal and be happy. Nothing under  a couple hundred dollars rivals even that from my experience.

Happy Listening!

JGWTRIODE!

Interesting read.. Do you have any pictures?

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #3,963 of 4,317
 The lostearbud clear double flange available on ebay feel the best of anything.

He now sells black double-flange tips, and considering the apparent dislike of the white coloring of the 9963 IEMs from nearly everyone on here, I would imagine that said tips would be relevant to people's interests.

1x small, 1x medium, 1x large: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151177045984
3x small, 3x medium, 3x large: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151177058744

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #3,964 of 4,317

Not the best picture but okay here you go!

These are painted with purple metalic nail polish.  I just wanted to see them in another color and metalic.  Not the cleanest effort but I'm okay with it.

There is a rubber ring around the white pvc noozle to keep the tips from sliding down on the barrels.  I don't have any way to easily notch the barrels as you see on most standard noozles...so this was my solution.  I also do this on the stock version as well because the hifiman tips tend to slide past the notches because of their larger bore size.   The internal diameter is now 3/16".

No filters at all.   May try some hifiman black filters just for a bit of slight smoothing later.

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3,966 of 4,317
All the different MEP-933 colors are on sale for $6.12: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10909&cs_id=1090901&p_id=9963&seq=1&format=2

The original 8320's are not on sale and the other 3 never went out of sale in the first place.  I posted this two weeks ago:
  Apologies for double-posting, but the white, black, and pink IEMs are on sale at Monoprice.  Remember, the white and pink IEMs have a rubberized cord for reduced microphonics and minimal tangling and more comfortable stock tips.

White: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9963

Black: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9927

Pink: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9960

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3,967 of 4,317
So, I joined here just to thank you guys. I'm a musician ( drums, acoustic guitar, bass ) and a FOH Tech, and I've been looking for a better IEM solution than my cheap-o $20 Sony headphones that everyone likes, and after reading some reviews over on Engadget, I was sent here to read up on the 8320's and the 9927's. After reading 200+ pages on this thread, ( more than plenty to convince me ) I bought myself a couple pairs or the 9927's for myself for Christmas, and I couldn't agree with you guys more. After some good breaking in time ( ? hours of FLAC audio, ranging from Country, Praise, to techno and dubstep ) these things sound amazing, and only get better. The low end is insane for 6 dollar IEM's, far better than what I'm used to. These things are insanely good. Do a little eq'ing on your output device and they get even better. First couple songs were alright, but nothing to write home about. But after a few more songs, and admittedly, a little dubstep, turned up to help move the break-in process along ( I'm impatient ), these things are insane. Definitely not what anybody'd expect for spending 6 bucks on a pair of earbuds. Geeze, 6 bucks on earbuds normally you'd buy from a local grocery store, they'd sound terrible, and would break in a day. These things I can foresee will last me quite some time, and while they might not make my drumming any better, I'll definitely be using these over my over-ear headphones.

Thanks guys!

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #3,968 of 4,317
  So, I joined here just to thank you guys. I'm a musician ( drums, acoustic guitar, bass ) and a FOH Tech, and I've been looking for a better IEM solution than my cheap-o $20 Sony headphones that everyone likes, and after reading some reviews over on Engadget, I was sent here to read up on the 8320's and the 9927's. After reading 200+ pages on this thread, ( more than plenty to convince me ) I bought myself a couple pairs or the 9927's for myself for Christmas, and I couldn't agree with you guys more. After some good breaking in time ( ? hours of FLAC audio, ranging from Country, Praise, to techno and dubstep ) these things sound amazing, and only get better. The low end is insane for 6 dollar IEM's, far better than what I'm used to. These things are insanely good. Do a little eq'ing on your output device and they get even better. First couple songs were alright, but nothing to write home about. But after a few more songs, and admittedly, a little dubstep, turned up to help move the break-in process along ( I'm impatient ), these things are insane. Definitely not what anybody'd expect for spending 6 bucks on a pair of earbuds. Geeze, 6 bucks on earbuds normally you'd buy from a local grocery store, they'd sound terrible, and would break in a day. These things I can foresee will last me quite some time, and while they might not make my drumming any better, I'll definitely be using these over my over-ear headphones.

Thanks guys!

If you find that you want more bass response, tape the port and use a pin to poke a hole in the tape.  That's how I prefer mine - I use duct tape.  

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,971 of 4,317
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm kinda imagining a bit of a flatter response than say, masking tape. Duct tape is pretty stiff, and doesn't allow for much bend and flex, whereas masking tape seems ( to me anyway ) a little less rigid. Idk, could just be imagination though. I'll have to try with both.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3,972 of 4,317
Be careful with that hole punching...you got about 1/8" before you hit the diaphragm of the driver. I know from having modded a few of these and having torn one apart. So poke lightly. The filter underlying the port is a very fine mesh. Poking through it with pin will approximately double the size of the hole in the mesh, depending on how far you insert the pin tip.

Good luck and happy listening,

Jgwtriode

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3,973 of 4,317
Be careful with that hole punching...you got about 1/8" before you hit the diaphragm of the driver. I know from having modded a few of these and having torn one apart. So poke lightly. The filter underlying the port is a very fine mesh. Poking through it with pin will approximately double the size of the hole in the mesh, depending on how far you insert the pin tip.

Good luck and happy listening,

Jgwtriode

haha i already poked through that filter, i don't remember how it sounded prior

but it was one of those "F u moments!!!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back