The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Dec 27, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #3,977 of 4,317
   haha i already poked through that filter, i don't remember how it sounded prior

but it was one of those "F u moments!!!!!"

Yup!   I overdoped the drivers the first time and saturated that mesh filter.  So electrical tape and a punched hole.  Didn't really like the result.  I am now using calibrated one drop glue tips from the hobby shop.   

The venting system in these is quite elaborate.  back plate holes  in three spots and the venting throught the driver back plate and the vent above the nozzle and the mesh filter under the nozzle plate in front.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #3,978 of 4,317
Just finished adding a bit more nail polish to the body of these.  I did this after reading Jokerl's review. He talks about resonance from the plastic body of these. Although well made he seems to believe it may add a resonance or coloration.  Adding a number of layers of enamel has to have some damping effect I figure, so spent a couple of hours putting about three  more layers of nail polish on these.  I am an obsessive compulsive when it comes to sound quality.  I can tell you that the clarity and impact of the sound is enchanced with more subtle detailsshowing up and more immediacy to the sound, sound less like earbuds and more like loudspeakers.   When I first listen to changes I make I go for the smile factor.  Does it make me smile even more, and then the toe tapping.  I work my way throw songs I know listening for specific things I value.  Then I start breaking down the particulars, bass, mids, treble, soundstage, ambiance, pace, harmonic structure. Then tonal balance, warmth, liquidity, neutrality, sense of air.  On and on getting deeper into the layers of subjective experience.  How hard is it to stop listening.  On these babies it takes an act of sheer will to stop wanting to play with them and listen to everything I have.  

It is ridiculous how much potential these things have they just keep getting better with every tweak I throw at them.  With a little ingenuity and a few dollars the sky maybe the limit.   How can these things be so damn good!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3,980 of 4,317
dugg out my 8320s and after listening to the re400 and the gr07 theirs a lack of treble extension and the vocals seem a bit too thin while the bass as little depth past the mid bass (the midbass is rather punchy, i like i very much, wish there was more depth down there though)--> i did poke a hole with my lead pencil using some matte scotch tape, bigger hole than most ppl recommend on these forums but the sony hybrids compensated nicely

to correct this is used the treble extension eq on my iphone. wow these things are really eq friendly. its a bit overly bright imo but usually using eq from past experience with other iem like the philips she3590 the monster turbines

i would fix one part of the sound spectrum and mess up another

i didn't feel that way with the 8320 the treble booster really just extended the treble ( i think the 8320 has a lot of potential) i tried the same with a pair of sony i think their called xba 10 the really cheap 10-15$ and both have a more toned down treble but the 8320 performed better in the treble region > sony after the eq

i did have the bump the volume 1 click up because the mids were a bit recessed but 1 click in volume is a very minor adjustment

it also took some emphasis off the bass region now so its perfect in terms of quantity for me. quality thats another story, not that it was bad but i heard better 

i was very surprised these are $7. as stated before its a bit overly bright but the treble extended quite nicely, a bit unnatural but that can be because of the plastic housing causing some resonance.

mind you i was using the small sony hybrids (orange) to give it that extra mid bass bump)

i would say its about closer to the re400 maybe about 50-60% of the way there. but the 8320 are not gonna replace either the re400 or the gr07. it performs very well but those two are far far superior.

gonna update my youtube channel with a review of these guys, cause more ppl do need to know this especially students or anyone with a tight budget.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3,981 of 4,317
  gonna update my youtube channel with a review of these guys, cause more ppl do need to know this especially students or anyone with a tight budget.

Don't forget to say that the 8320's now come in 3 other colors, black (9927), white (9963), and pink (9960).

You may also want to mention that all 4 IEM colors now come with tips in 3 sizes and that the white and pink IEMs have rubberized cables and somewhat softer tips (other than color, the black 9927's are exactly the same as the 8320's).

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #3,982 of 4,317
Just thought I share my version of canibalized version of me Monoprice.

Version 1 - Orange cable with tape port hole and double silicone eartip with a smaller one on the outer Apple earbud from inside...if you know what I mean. Fin shaving...everything off. More balanced sound.

Version 2 - Black n Purplish cable with tape port hole and front grill also tape with cd liner material and coloured over and double silicone eartip with a smaller one on the outer Apple earbud from inside. Fin shaving is a must for better fit or else the nautilus shell is just too uncomfortable for long hours of usage. More sub bass for fun music.

Both version - cable braided with Chinese staircase bracelet style to avoid cable tangle/microphonic noise and ear shell painted over with felt tip marker pen permanent paint No needle poking into the tape.

Thats all ...feel free to comment. :popcorn:

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #3,983 of 4,317
Just thought I share my version of canibalized version of me Monoprice.

Version 1 - Orange cable with tape port hole and double silicone eartip with a smaller one on the outer Apple earbud from inside...if you know what I mean. Fin shaving...everything off. More balanced sound.

Version 2 - Black n Purplish cable with tape port hole and front grill also tape with cd liner material and coloured over and double silicone eartip with a smaller one on the outer Apple earbud from inside. Fin shaving is a must for better fit or else the nautilus shell is just too uncomfortable for long hours of usage. More sub bass for fun music.

Both version - cable braided with Chinese staircase bracelet style to avoid cable tangle/microphonic noise and ear shell painted over with felt tip marker pen permanent paint No needle poking into the tape.

Thats all ...feel free to comment.
popcorn.gif

very interesting with that thick cable, how is it looping around the ear, i would imagine it would be diffucult.

i never tried covering the front face plate hm.... buti agree with the fin shaving, that helps immensely with comfort but it makes it look really bad =( not that it looked nice in the first place 

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #3,984 of 4,317
very interesting with that thick cable, how is it looping around the ear, i would imagine it would be diffucult.

i never tried covering the front face plate hm.... buti agree with the fin shaving, that helps immensely with comfort but it makes it look really bad =( not that it looked nice in the first place 

The upside is no more tangle cable , no microphonic noise and still can wear it over the ear but I wear it down but I just reverse the the L to R and vice versa. The fin shaved of these huge shell actually makes it more comfortable to wear over or down and I get a good fit. This is also because it is shaved according to my shape of my inner ears ....and not just shaving the sharp edges.

Friends have asked me what the hell is in your ears ...and I said me Frankenstein iem.... It ia an acquired taste ...but i love me Frankenstein ...all patched up but ugly ...mmmmmm like Susan Boyle.

Well ...no harm trying incovering the front face plate ...more detailed bass more punchy imo...less bright.

Cheers. :cool:

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3,985 of 4,317
The upside is no more tangle cable , no microphonic noise and still can wear it over the ear but I wear it down but I just reverse the the L to R and vice versa. The fin shaved of these huge shell actually makes it more comfortable to wear over or down and I get a good fit. This is also because it is shaved according to my shape of my inner ears ....and not just shaving the sharp edges.

Friends have asked me what the hell is in your ears ...and I said me Frankenstein iem.... It ia an acquired taste ...but i love me Frankenstein ...all patched up but ugly ...mmmmmm like Susan Boyle.

Well ...no harm trying incovering the front face plate ...more detailed bass more punchy imo...less bright.

Cheers.
cool.gif

what? you put the right side of the 8320 into your left and you put the left side of the iem into your right? as in you flipped everything? thats so weird, i can never do that thats messes up the entire placement of vocals instruments and etc 

but as long as it works for you, i find the 8320 impractical in the outside setting imo. unless you want the lack of isolation for situational awareness. for example running, i can see myself using these for running around my neighbourhood, can't use something like the monster isport ( or anything like the shure se215 ) too isolating and too dangerous

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3,987 of 4,317
  Yup!   I overdoped the drivers the first time and saturated that mesh filter.  So electrical tape and a punched hole.  Didn't really like the result.  I am now using calibrated one drop glue tips from the hobby shop.   

The venting system in these is quite elaborate.  back plate holes  in three spots and the venting throught the driver back plate and the vent above the nozzle and the mesh filter under the nozzle plate in front.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

I may be missing a page or two when I looked, but did you have pics of the mod? I'd like to see how/where you added the nail polish, so I can get a better understanding of how to mod my second set.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #3,989 of 4,317
I may be missing a page or two when I looked, but did you have pics of the mod? I'd like to see how/where you added the nail polish, so I can get a better understanding of how to mod my second set.

Back on the previous page. The nail polish is on the entire body of them! About 7 layers. I just wanted purple metallic and then I found out about the plastic body resonances g from jokerl's review and added more layers for damping so. Also bored out the very end of my modded
nozzles to 1/4" just to smooth air transition a bit. Slightly clearer smoother sound...With a bit more space.

Happy listening,

Jgwtriode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back