The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3,901 of 4,317
Hey guys, I've had my 9927 (black) for 7 months now, and I have not listened to it since after the 100 hour burn in because of comfort issues. The earphone housing is too big and applies pressure on my ear making it unbearable after only a couple of minutes. Therefore it was stored in a clamshell case and tossed in the back of my earphone drawer. It sat there until today when I was reorganizing the drawer found it again.

I liked the sound, but just couldn't tolerate the fit. That was when I decided to use the double flange that came with my Meelectronics M-Duo (now equipped with plenty of different tips). The barrel size is big enough to fit the large nozzle of the 9927. Now, the double flange allows the housing to sit a little further away from my ear while still allowing a good seal. The triple flange makes the housing too far off the ear. I sacrifice isolation, but I intend to use this as work desk IEMs where I can hear equipment alarms or if my coworker is talking to me.

Now I have "rediscovered" how amazing these sound for chump change. I have purchased other IEMs within the last 7 months (GR07BE, VSD1 and the Limited Edition, Audeo PFE132, MEE M-Duo) along with headphones (UE6000 and M-80) and the 9927 rival those in terms of musical reproduction and enjoyment. Of course the pricier IEMs are more refined, but $8.00 vs $50-$130? Absurd!

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #3,903 of 4,317
  You could have done the fin-shaving mod. :p

I've seen lots of mods brought up here from custom molds to that fin shaving, but it was the size of the housing (the round part) that bothered me. Plus I didn't want to alter the IEMs (I have a tendency of messing something up).

The only mod I want to do is to replace the plug with a L-plug if and when that breaks (I'll look for someone with capable hands among my friends for this).

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #3,904 of 4,317
Even replacing the whole cable is pretty simple. Doing just the tip (lol) should be a piece of cake if one your friends has a soldering iron.

Bummer that they are too big for your ears.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #3,906 of 4,317
I mostly mean to replace the cable because it is terrible rather than because it stops working.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #3,907 of 4,317
  Hey guys, I've had my 9927 (black) for 7 months now, and I have not listened to it since after the 100 hour burn in because of comfort issues. The earphone housing is too big and applies pressure on my ear making it unbearable after only a couple of minutes. Therefore it was stored in a clamshell case and tossed in the back of my earphone drawer. It sat there until today when I was reorganizing the drawer found it again.

I liked the sound, but just couldn't tolerate the fit. That was when I decided to use the double flange that came with my Meelectronics M-Duo (now equipped with plenty of different tips). The barrel size is big enough to fit the large nozzle of the 9927. Now, the double flange allows the housing to sit a little further away from my ear while still allowing a good seal. The triple flange makes the housing too far off the ear. I sacrifice isolation, but I intend to use this as work desk IEMs where I can hear equipment alarms or if my coworker is talking to me.

Now I have "rediscovered" how amazing these sound for chump change. I have purchased other IEMs within the last 7 months (GR07BE, VSD1 and the Limited Edition, Audeo PFE132, MEE M-Duo) along with headphones (UE6000 and M-80) and the 9927 rival those in terms of musical reproduction and enjoyment. Of course the pricier IEMs are more refined, but $8.00 vs $50-$130? Absurd!

If you want refinement for your >$8...may i suggest something.   Actually I just bought 5 pair for 6.60 to do full Rin choi's for friends.  You can get almost 90% of the effect just with the filter mod.  The rest of redoing and resizing nozzles and doping drivers is just really a further 
subtle refinement in detail and high frequency extension.  The filters really do the work...that and good double flanges.  I personally like the hifiman large doubles, if you can fit them they are the best.  Medium doubles with a 4.5mm bore work quite nicely as well.  You can find 5 pair for about 5 bills at lostearbuds on ebay.

Anyway I have virtual equivalent material coming next week.  I have compared it to the rin filters that I was sent by a fellow headfier and I believe it is the same material.  I was able to source quite a bit at very reasonable price from amazon.  If you want a half sheet I will be 
happy to provide you one.  The sheets are in 9x 11'.  So a half is far more than you will ever need.  Just PM me your mailing address.

I am just so blown away by what happens to these earbuds when you do this, so I am happy to share.   

Happy listening

jgwtriode

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #3,908 of 4,317

If you want refinement for your >$8...may i suggest something.   Actually I just bought 5 pair for 6.60 to do full Rin choi's for friends.  You can get almost 90% of the effect just with the filter mod.  The rest of redoing and resizing nozzles and doping drivers is just really a further 
subtle refinement in detail and high frequency extension.  The filters really do the work...that and good double flanges.  I personally like the hifiman large doubles, if you can fit them they are the best.  Medium doubles with a 4.5mm bore work quite nicely as well.  You can find 5 pair for about 5 bills at lostearbuds on ebay.

Anyway I have virtual equivalent material coming next week.  I have compared it to the rin filters that I was sent by a fellow headfier and I believe it is the same material.  I was able to source quite a bit at very reasonable price from amazon.  If you want a half sheet I will be 
happy to provide you one.  The sheets are in 9x 11'.  So a half is far more than you will ever need.  Just PM me your mailing address.

I am just so blown away by what happens to these earbuds when you do this, so I am happy to share.   

Happy listening

jgwtriode

are those the lab grade sheets that was purchased in bulk? Would an oakley sunglass cleaning microfiber work? If those sheets work better I'll PM you my address.

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #3,909 of 4,317

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.  Or their dollar store equivalent.  Seriously, try them.  They're made of open cell melamine foam, same material used for acoustic dampening.

No need to run around buying bulk orders of specialty lab paper.

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,910 of 4,317
I will give that a try sounds interesting.   I'm open to anything that will improve the sound.

If your interested in trying the lab wipes just pm me and i will drop an envelope in the mail with
a sheet for you to try.  So you don't have to buy any to see what they will do.

But seriously thanks for the suggestion I will compare.

Happy listening

James

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3,911 of 4,317
How does this stuff compare to the thin open cell foam they use as a top liner in couch cushions.  I suspect it is much like the foam that hifiman uses in the re 400's under the external filter. It damps resonsances nicely but tends to subtley muddy the highs extension and detail and their is a slight loss of air  compared to what I hear with the nonwoven poly/cellulose.  I have played with similar stuff.  Even cutting a little bit out of my wife's old cushions with holes
in them.  Stuff looks virtually identical to hifiman foam filters.  I retuned  ba 200's with and liked the results, but yanked it all out and used thin microfiber which still smoothed the resonance but improved the highs.  I also ended up prefering thin microfiber eyeglass wipes in my first iteration of the 9927's, which I destroyed in the process of learning how to do full Rin choi mod 9277.s   The 9927's are lively and dynamic, huge in soundstaging and properly tuned, neutral but surprisingly liquid and depending on tuning slightly sweet to subtley warm.  The bass is a little aggresive but with tuning and burn-in it has weight and extension that are very subwoofer like without any bloat or overhang.
Try the lab wipes and see and i will try out some magic eraser foam.

Happy Listening,
James

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #3,913 of 4,317
All truth passes through three stages.
 First, it is ridiculed.
 Second, it is violently opposed.
 Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."  ~Arthur Schopenhauer

AWESome quote!!!!!!!

I think so too.
Seems to be the case in just about every subject I know or participate in.

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #3,914 of 4,317
I think so too.
Seems to be the case in just about every subject I know or participate in.

Well I'm up late burning the midnight oil and my 9927's marveling that something so cheap can be so good!  There is a sense of that quote embody in these strange weirdly  dimensioned peices of reinforced plastic.  They are borderline ugly to look at and the metal backplate a bit ridiculous.  The venting is truely strange.  Having ripped three apart to learn their secrets and to understand how to build the Rin choi 9927 has been a process of moving from the ridiculous to the sublime.   And they are!  I am as I write this listening to $6.60. The hifiman large double flanges are almost that much by themselves. Mine are tweaked with ear plug foam and internally Rin's poly/cellulose lab wipe filters tapped down over the stock mesh with about 10 hours of burn and I can't take them off.  Every hour they sound better.   My computer setup is down.  My wife took hers back so I am left with out my Jplay audiostreamer setup,  I am working on putting togethe my music server in the next month which will scream.  I am not even using my super tweaky NOS 44k redbook standard dac built by Larry Moore of Ultra Fi.  I am am using the phenomenal Neco V3 driven by a QLS QA 350 V2 slightly tweaked.  I plan on Neco's bossfet when I put my streamer together. Just playing some Bob Culbertson on the acoustick. http://stickmusic.com/store.html   This is phenomanel stuff and there is so much going on with that instrument and I am hearing everything i heard when I heard Bob play it live in Arizona at an Art Festival a number of years ago.  

The QLS I got on sale on an ebay auction for a $160.00.  The Neco for about $200.   Neco Beyman is amazing in his own right.  and I have a slightly tweaky cable hardwired to my QLS.  I have owned crazy pricey systems when I was working in high-end audio.  Someday when the stars align and a sweet breeze blows my ship in the right direction I will get as close to that as I can, but I can tell you this is music and I feel like nothing is missing.

And I am feel like I am there listening to Bob front row center, watching him with my ears.   This is communicating that and it keeps getting better an$6.60 emsis not holding back anything.    There is something truely sublime in the fact that I can tell you truely I have heard  and owned systems costing thousands that don't sound this right!   Just wait until I have my audiostreamer running all out Jplay into my NOS dac with my Bossfet feeding either the
new OPPO planar magnetics, or maybe the Hifiman HE 500 or the Shure HD 600.   I can dream but right now in this moment I'm listenening to Bob play
like I remember on a warm afternoon in Cave Creek Arizona and I just don't care.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #3,915 of 4,317
One of the things that just blows my mind about the monoprice's is that they can just get out of the way of what's in front of them and just suck you into the flow and drive of the music.
They are like the best horn and triode systems in this regard.   That is what makes a well setup backloaded horn despite certain issues just make you forget it's specific flaws.  Give me a good
2A3 and a well loaded, tweaked Fostex, Lowther, or even better a Feastrex and leave the world behind.   The monoprice is not just tonally neutral, it is dynamically uncompressed, with slam, punch, and power.   On power rock and orchestral it can hammer home real resonance you can actually feel in your chest.  Tympani and Kick drums have authority and size.  But listen to it pull at your heart strings on celtic harp or well bowed cello.   It rolls of a bit above 15k or so which is why a large bored tip and sawing off the nozzle and mounting something with a slightly larger diameter give you just a bit more than it is otherwise capable of.   Thanks Rin.  The cyanoacrylate also helps a bit there by stiffening the driver, adding a touch more detail.   Tweaky stuff fascinates me and the Rin choi's scream tweaky.  But truth is this is so good that if I wan't compulsive and a bit ADD I could leave well enough alone and just burn them for 200 hours on random noise etc and wait for 
my headphones of choice.  

Hell, get a good source and a reasonably capable little amp and crank these baby's and then try to  go back to whatever bud you previously listened to.   Boring, sluggish, anemic,
compressed and no damn fun at all.  Package these in shapely metal container, hype the filter technology, emphasize the oversize driver, no crossover's and mold in a larger bore nozzle and
wire them up with 5 nines silver or plated copper with a fancy wood or metal slide and mark the price up.  Would that be as much fun....hmmmmmm!  Just Hummmm along and tap your foot and
thank the Lord for the small ocassional miracles that are available to everyone.

Happy Listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back