The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #3,916 of 4,317
I bought lostearbuds triflange and I cut the very top flange as recommended, however when I put them in, the bumps from the cut cause discomfort when I touches mg ear drums, can anybody recommend any mods to the buds thay would help solve my crisi?

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,917 of 4,317
I bought lostearbuds triflange and I cut the very top flange as recommended, however when I put them in, the bumps from the cut cause discomfort when I touches mg ear drums, can anybody recommend any mods to the buds thay would help solve my crisi?

Well, to begin, I seriously doubt that the buds are touching your eardrums.  You're just experiencing discomfort in your canal from the rough cut.  

The obvious answer here is to produce a better cut.  Use a razor blade or something, support the bore from the inside so that it doesn't collapse and cause an uneven cut.  Done.  

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3,918 of 4,317
Lolwut, I didn't get any email notification of replies over the last few days.  The weird part is that there's nothing at all - it's not in my spam, my "All Mail" archive, not even in the trash.

Anyway, I'm a bit late, but regarding replacing the cable on the 9927 IEMs, I again mention that the white 9963 IEMs have a rubberized cable which considerably reduces micro-phonics and is much less tangle-prone.

And speaking of after-market tips and the 9963 IEMs, I am again thinking about purchasing some tips purely for comfort reasons, but the issue is that all comparisons that people have made are against the 9927's tips, and the 9963 has different tips.  Is there nobody on head-fi with several after-market IEM tips that owns the 9963 IEMs?

I know I could go the custom-fit tips route, but I haven't even tried with any after-market tips, so it seems silly to go that far when even now my comfort issues aren't particularly problematic thanks to the seemingly-softer 9963 tips.  This is also why I don't want to just buy some tips blindly like I bought the 9963s blindly in hopes that the rubberized cable would reduce micro-phonics - the micro-phonics were easily being way too annoying and distracting since I use my headphones at quieter volumes with lots of speaking content.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #3,919 of 4,317
Watch movies with this sounds really awesome, maybe because movie compared to music have more natural sounds also more variation in distance sense perception created, which is monoprice wide soundstage really help create 3D sense in movie.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #3,920 of 4,317
The Sony hybrids seems to work for me...
The spacious depth of this 9927 is superb, ESP for quiet nights.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #3,921 of 4,317
  Watch movies with this sounds really awesome, maybe because movie compared to music have more natural sounds also more variation in distance sense perception created, which is monoprice wide soundstage really help create 3D sense in movie.

Excellent post.  I agree! I downloaded a torrent of the lone ranger a few nights ago on my computer.  The movie was okay but the sound through my dac, amp and my rin choi filter tweaked 9927 was outstanding.  The low frequency and dynamics, as well as the sense of size and space brought the movie to life.  It was much better than I would have anticipated while only watching on a 32" monitor. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #3,922 of 4,317
Well, to begin, I seriously doubt that the buds are touching your eardrums.  You're just experiencing discomfort in your canal from the rough cut.  

The obvious answer here is to produce a better cut.  Use a razor blade or something, support the bore from the inside so that it doesn't collapse and cause an uneven cut.  Done.  

Sennheiser double flange off eBay are readily available. Wide board and already double flange. They are comfortable and cheap without the work.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #3,923 of 4,317
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Awei-Blue-Replacement-Silicone-In-Ear-Tips-Eartips-Earbuds-Ear-Sleeves-M-Size-A1-/291010022088?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43c18c8ac8&_uhb=1

these are dirt cheap and they seal well for me and they come in diff colours just google awei replacement tips

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #3,924 of 4,317
  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Awei-Blue-Replacement-Silicone-In-Ear-Tips-Eartips-Earbuds-Ear-Sleeves-M-Size-A1-/291010022088?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43c18c8ac8&_uhb=1

these are dirt cheap and they seal well for me and they come in diff colours just google awei replacement tips

I like the color....just wish they were available in a good double flange.  The difference between a double and a single on the 9927's is substantial.  They smooth out, open up spatially, and the bass becomes more solid and extended.  I don't personally like the way they sound with single flanges.  I actually even prefer a good triple over singles...but compared to a double it's a bit too smooth.  Although there is a warm romance to the sound that can be quite addictive until you hear the added detail and life of a well designed double flange.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #3,925 of 4,317
I have 5 of these little beauties,sonically not visuallly...these are relatively nasty to look at, waiting for parts to fully tweak.   But in the meantime I have been burning a refrence pair with just the rin filters for the last 4 days on jlabs burn in app on line.  Awesome tool.   I come home from work around midnight having let them them burn while i was gone and then also while I'm sleeping.  Probably have 50+ solid hours of random pink, white, and general noise plus full range frequency sweeps up and down the range.   They just keep getting more relaxed and refined.
These are completely stock other than filter and modded hifiman double flange tips.  They are so good
I would take them at this over any of the buds i have owned or listened to and they are still improving.
The mods will began at the end of the week.  Fun! Fun! Fun!

Happy Listening,

Jgwtriode

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #3,926 of 4,317
  I have 5 of these little beauties,sonically not visuallly...these are relatively nasty to look at, waiting for parts to fully tweak.   But in the meantime I have been burning a refrence pair with just the rin filters for the last 4 days on jlabs burn in app on line.  Awesome tool.   I come home from work around midnight having let them them burn while i was gone and then also while I'm sleeping.  Probably have 50+ solid hours of random pink, white, and general noise plus full range frequency sweeps up and down the range.   They just keep getting more relaxed and refined.
These are completely stock other than filter and modded hifiman double flange tips.  They are so good
I would take them at this over any of the buds i have owned or listened to and they are still improving.
The mods will began at the end of the week.  Fun! Fun! Fun!

Happy Listening,

Jgwtriode

Try to alternate between the jlab loop and some bass-heavy songs from songza or other streaming radio.
I tend to use the jlab the first 40 hours to get the drivers warmed up then play bass heavy tracks on high volume for 60 hours to really get them to their potential.

Happy listening.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #3,928 of 4,317
Just got some 9927's and Comply T-400's in the mail. Not that any more verification is needed, these things really do sound incredible; especially for the price. I had concern that their bulky form-factor would really take a toll on comfort though, with the T-400's they're actually a pretty comfortable fit. The case doesn't agitate the ear even for relatively long listens, and stays secure through a good cardio workout without needing much (if any) adjustment. For $25 shipped (with the replacement tips), I'm pretty damn satisfied!

As awesome as they are, however, they still look like crap, and the cord has to go. That's not a complaint - For what they're charging, they can absolutely look terrible, and the cord could be wrapped in burlap. - But I really want to design and make a better looking bud using 3D printing that will also fit more comfortably, and basically transfer the internals (and rewiring in the process).

Do people do that? I know it's probably not viably worth the time or cost, but designing and tinkering is what I do (and I know I'm not the only one). I'll try to post pictures and tutorials if they turn out successfully.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,930 of 4,317
  You could have gotten the white 9963 IEMs, they have a rubberized cord.

I know that not everybody reads the last pages of a topic, but I still feel as if I've been speaking to a wall. :frowning2:  Would it be a crime if I made a new thread for the 9963s?

Yeah when I saw your post I wished I had seen it sooner. If it makes you feel any better I'll probably get the 9963's when I eventually need more. I kind of want to make a detachable cable like these anyway, but with a flat cable: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4002/lq1y.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back