The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3,826 of 4,317
This guy is completly right. Hear Les Miserables soundtrack first, then read the book and watch the movie, hear the soundtrack back. For me it sounded completly different, I thought I had two soudtrack albums with diffent singers and with different audio qualities. It was an amazing experience for me. If you can picture the song, understand it and even identify your self with it, the head gear you use won´t matter.
And don´t kill me for my 2cents.

i disagree,,,,, when u become emotionally involved due to familiarity you then begin to pick out the subtle differences,,,,,, take BEETHOVENs 9th symphony,,, so many different variations to it.. and each one is noticeable... i have 4 different versions and i can tell the difference in each one.. from the instruments, timing,, placement, singers, background noises (pages turning, adjust,ments in seat, audience, ) ....... and with that said.. i get annoyed if i use one head gear over the other... due to the signature of the headgear...

if i misundderstood you then i apologize in advance...

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #3,827 of 4,317
I would say you're both right, but what n0str3ss refers to is actually something seperate from the musical and/or audio quality itself - it's emotional association.

The easiest case of this that demonstrates this for me is video games and/or visual novels.  Both will use specific songs in specific situations, and if you listen to such a song by itself, you will remember the situation where said song played and any/all feelings associated with that situation.

At least, that's how it seems to work with me.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3,828 of 4,317
I would say you're both right, but what n0str3ss refers to is actually something seperate from the musical and/or audio quality itself - it's emotional association.

The easiest case of this that demonstrates this for me is video games and/or visual novels.  Both will use specific songs in specific situations, and if you listen to such a song by itself, you will remember the situation where said song played and any/all feelings associated with that situation.

the MAN OF STEEL soundtrack has that same affect o me

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #3,829 of 4,317

the MAN OF STEEL soundtrack has that same affect o me

Spot on.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #3,831 of 4,317

This guy is completly right. Hear Les Miserables soundtrack first, then read the book and watch the movie, hear the soundtrack back. For me it sounded completly different, I thought I had two soudtrack albums with diffent singers and with different audio qualities. It was an amazing experience for me. If you can picture the song, understand it and even identify your self with it, the head gear you use won´t matter.

i disagree,,,,, when u become emotionally involved due to familiarity you then begin to pick out the subtle differences,,,,,, take BEETHOVENs 9th symphony,,, so many different variations to it.. and each one is noticeable... i have 4 different versions and i can tell the difference in each one.. from the instruments, timing,, placement, singers, background noises (pages turning, adjust,ments in seat, audience, ) ....... and with that said.. i get annoyed if i use one head gear over the other... due to the signature of the headgear...

if i misundderstood you then i apologize in advance...

For me different head gear are matter for each different subjective preference people had, if you have multiple head gear you can't help to like one over other. you can't help to liking or disliking some gear.. it depend on preference and process, and good headphone can't sound spectacular forever you need perfect mood and music for the best music experience..that's i get more blast and spend more time listen to music with monoprice compared to my previous random headphones.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,832 of 4,317

if i misundderstood you then i apologize in advance.

Beethoven's 9th is the perfect example because there isn't any hi fi gear ever capable of delivering anything but a poor imitation of a live performance. Keep in mind the piece goes from one soft violin to a loud full symphony accompanied by a corale. I love the 9th and have several recordings of it myself, but I've heard it live 3 times now and there is no comparison. Now if the piece is on as background I let it play as is, but when I want to touch it, feel it's searching power I can't help but fill in the blanks.

But you know, when I listen to any sound, like the toilet that is keeping running, or a dog bark in the distance, it seems a very natural process to use whatever means you can to identify what something is, and you don't do that from a vacuum of no experience, you do it from a mental library of what things sound like. Now I didn't say anything about using emotion to enhance recorded music appreciation, that was the other fellow, but that process is also natural else how could a song make you cry, or a poem make you feel connected, or a great movie make you feel overcome with wonder?

If I was forced to listen to music with it as a disconnected thing that must be accepted on as objective a basis as I could muster, I wouldn't bother to do it, what would be the point?

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #3,833 of 4,317

But it's arguable that video games and/or visual novels have more impact due to the fact that you were an active participant. (assuming it's not one of those modern movie-wannabe video game that is. :p)

I have a hypothesis that only people that can maintain an active fantasy of being on a reality TV show, can stand to watch them. To the rest of us these shows are nothing but the cheap, arbitrary, mindless, drivel they actually are. I know that may push the window of being a active participant but Buddhists claim that thoughts are actions, and how could anyone with the experience of the power of thoughts disagree?

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3,834 of 4,317
Speaking of that "emotion" we spoke of... this song:

Is it just me remembering how I feel when playing F-Zero X on Port Town, or does this song actually sound way better on these IEMs than it should seeing how it's from an N64 game with real-time synthesized music?

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #3,835 of 4,317
Anybody any idea how they compare to the Sennheiser HD 595s? I bought these Monoprices because I couldnt afford an expensive headphone and I understood these were very good (and they are!), but now I can get a HD 595 for around $70 used I might buy one.
If the differences arent that big I wont buy a Sennheiser, easy. Still a lot of money for me. I listen mostly classical music btw!

EDIT
A pity, sold for 100$.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,836 of 4,317
  Anybody any idea how they compare to the Sennheiser HD 595s? I bought these Monoprices because I couldnt afford an expensive headphone and I understood these were very good (and they are!), but now I can get a HD 595 for around $70 used I might buy one.
If the differences arent that big I wont buy a Sennheiser, easy. Still a lot of money for me. I listen mostly classical music btw!

EDIT
A pity, sold for 100$.

I love classical, acoustic, and jazz so I want the sound to be as real as possible without wacky tonal extensions for the hip hop set.
I have a pair of HD-580's and IMHO full sized cans sound so different from IEM's that it's like apples and oranges.  You really have to experience it!
I don't have any fancy IEM's but I can't believe that any of them are going to sound like the 580's or my beloved Grado SR-60's, that aren't as good as
the extended - effortless 580's but have the virtue of not revealing every little flaw in the source material that the 580's can't help but do.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,837 of 4,317
  Speaking of that "emotion" we spoke of... this song:

Is it just me remembering how I feel when playing F-Zero X on Port Town, or does this song actually sound way better on these IEMs than it should seeing how it's from an N64 game with real-time synthesized music?

I can't believe that anyone like game music in the first place, I may be dated in my thinking but isn't it rather repetitive?
For me I think that music would serve the same purpose as the Chinese Water Torture, granted an emotional response for sure!

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #3,838 of 4,317

I can't believe that anyone like game music in the first place, I may be dated in my thinking but isn't it rather repetitive?
For me I think that music would serve the same purpose as the Chinese Water Torture, granted an emotional response for sure!

You sure have a funny opinion. Who the hell doesn´t love some good old tetris theme song
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3,839 of 4,317

It's repetitive because the race track it plays on is only like 1-2 minutes long, and it'd just be silly to have somebody finishing a race before the entire song has played at least one time through.  As for the "Chinese Water Torture", note that the game it comes from is a "balls-to-the-wall" futuristic racer with a darker 90s-esque superhero-comic style presentation.

By comparison, take a gander at these - they're from a solitary, futuristic, first person adventure game with lots of "lost civilization" aspects and was noted for its excellent atmosphere, so the music is purely designed to enhance the feeling of the environment:

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3,840 of 4,317
has anyone listened to AMBER RUBARTH Sessions From The 17th Ward... its recorded by binaural head... soundds awesome..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back