The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Sep 20, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #3,796 of 4,317
I accidentally let my 9927's get too close to my PortaPros tonight while I was doing some cleaning.  Big mistake.  The 9927's attacked the PortaPros with a vengeance.  Wrapping its cord around the poor helpless Koss headphones.  Before I knew what happened, the Pro was in a death grip from the Monoprice.  It was touch and go for a while, but after 20 minutes I was able to finally pull the 9927 off of the PortaPro.

Crazy how fast they can tangle.  Still love them though, even though you never know when they will attack.

Hilarious! They are rather anaconda like in their penchant for constricting and strangulating. NEED TO KEEP THEN SEPERATED FROM ALL OTHERS FORMS OF CABLING! They are not well socialized or pretty or stylish but with some extra effort and some consideration for their idiosyncrasies they can still be quite delightful. Just don't let them out unsupervised!

You have been warned.....LOL!

Happy listening and LAUGHING!

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3,797 of 4,317
Geez, am I the only one that doesn't have much of an issue with the tangling?  As long as it's not near any other cords then it doesn't really tangle much more than anything else... in fact while it tangles up more frequently the actual tightness of the tangle seems to be considerably less.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #3,798 of 4,317
I'm new to Head-fi.

Saw someone making a big deal about these, so I got them off Amazon. I replaced the tips with some others I had and the sound quality is pretty great!

And as others have mentioned, these tangle like nobody's business. Whenever I take them out of my pockets I might spend a good 10-20 minutes untangling them on some days. That is the ONLY thing I dislike about these headphones. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,799 of 4,317
I'm new to Head-fi.

Saw someone making a big deal about these, so I got them off Amazon. I replaced the tips with some others I had and the sound quality is pretty great!

And as others have mentioned, these tangle like nobody's business. Whenever I take them out of my pockets I might spend a good 10-20 minutes untangling them on some days. That is the ONLY thing I dislike about these headphones. 

I roll mine up carefully and use a wire tie. (When I have time and remember to). It does help them to not get "as" tangled.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,800 of 4,317
Do you guys cut your finger nails really short or something?  Seriously, other than the actual frequency of tangling I have very minimal issue untangling them... or maybe it's all my experience from working with computer cords and game controller cords. :p

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3,801 of 4,317
  Yeah, I understand that, but realizing that all of our ears are different, it's not exactly that definitive of an answer, you know?  That's why I really just wanted a size comparison between the small Ts-400 and the small stock tips since that'd be applicable to anyone that purchased the 9927.

So in your case, the question would be - how is the size and fit of the Sony Hybrids compared to the stock tips, particularly the small and medium stock tips?  I mean, I did read about those tips as well from this thread before purchasing the 9927 and in fact have those tips bookmarked (along with like 10 others)

Well they aren't PAINFUL, it's just that they're not comfortable whether it be the feeling of "stuffed ears" or itchiness or whatnot..  For example, I just stuck the IEMs in my ears about two minutes ago with the small stock tips on both sides and within the last minute I can already feel both of my ears becoming itchy...and now I just took the IEMs out to itch my ears.

Oh, and I made a mistake - last night my 2-hour session was with my no-name white tips on BOTH the left and right.  From some quick and dirty testing I think the white tips, much like the medium stock tips, are more comfortable in the short term but interestingly enough, after removal, they make my ears considerably more itchy.

I stated that I already read over 100 pages of this thread.  Perhaps you thought I was exaggerating?  I wasn't - ok I counted wrong, it's 86 pages.  I've read the first 76 pages and the 10 most recent pages, and yes I read every single post on those pages.  This was the majority of my research that I did that convinced me to purchase the 9927.

As for feeling ungrateful and deserving the best, I apologize if I came off that way - again, coming from a scientific and technical background, my posts are typically lacking of emotion and are very "matter of fact" since not doing that usually results in causing drama, backlash, etc - I've had multiple cases of a bad history with times I've become emotive and/or overly-enthusiastic.  Even in real life, social interaction has been my number one weakness.

Now admittedly, your post was indeed very level-headed and brought to my attention several of the details that I had originally included in my originally-typed post but I had forgotten to mention in the re-typed post, so I'm partially at fault for that.  For one thing, you and jgwtriode had posted only 5 minutes apart, so I ended up kind of shmooshing together my reply to both of you into the same post, when in reality you two were saying quite different things.  In particular it irked me a bit to see someone suggesting things on how to "make em really sing" when all I had asked was about size & comfort, and that "irked"-ness kind of overflowed into the rest of my post/s...I guess that could be a pet-peave of mine now that I think about it: assuming things, which admittedly I'm guilty of myself and may be partially why it does annoy me so - it pains me to see other people replicating my faults.

Think we can both start this over and try again?

EDIT: I must say though, I did kind of laugh at the part where you assumed that I thought I deserved the best - you should totally check out what the specs of my main desktop PC are then. :p
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/2530299

In other news, how can I set it to use the manual BBcode post entry form thing?  I'm getting quite annoyed by when I type the corresponding bbcode and it doesn't actually do anything...

its fine, i appreciate the post above. I acted too rashly and misinterpreted your words. i would agree with another post on make custom molds using hte radian ear mold putty. Its plenty more comfortable, ugly looking afterwards but since their molded to your ear it should be fine

the 10 minutes might feel like agony to you when your molding but remember to not take them out if you decide to mold it. I kept them in a good 15 minute each and remember to keep your mouth open but putting somethign inbetween your teeth like in a real ear mold impression something like a the cap of your highlighter or something.

you look like a idoit doing it but the they isolate well afterwards but they do change the sound a bit.

another tip.. before doing it 

take off the tips ofc and tape up the nozzle covering it over with tape, just enough so the putty wont enter the nozzle and also tape up the port near the nozzle, i had some putty go into both the first time i did and was not able to salvage my 8320 afterwards.

use only 1/3-1/2 of the putty when making 1 PAIR OF impressions the 8320s take up a lot of space anyway so too much putty becomes wasted.

likely the first time you won't get the the result you wanted. i didn't push them far in enough the first time so the distance between the nozzle and my eardrum increased altering the sound again. so you'll have to play with how hard to insert them while its molding ( you'll have to hold them in place while its molding for at least 5 minutes before it starts hardening

modding is annoying but fun at the same time but if the custom molds don't work, foams are your only choice left for iems

if you need any help or questions for molding feel free to ask. but i think i already told you pretty much everything thats not on the instruction sheet haha

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #3,802 of 4,317
I just discovered something that's extremely practical about these IEMs - the drivers are large enough that the IEMs can double as miniture portable speakers in a not-particularly-loud environment!  This works great for cases on when you just want to quickly watch a 2 minute video or something, and even works just fine for extended use when the audio isn't much more than talking.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3,804 of 4,317
Use longer tips and/or don't insert them as deep?

Alternatively, try rotating them around so that the "prong" sticks out at a different angle.

Another option is to try to actually use the left IEM in the right ear and vice-versa.  If you're concerned about the left & right channels being swapped and you don't have any software solution to reverse the channels, you can use these two inexpensive 6" adapters together as a hardware solution to swapping the right & left channels via plugging the white into the red and vice-versa:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5611
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5612

It's not exactly the most mobile solution, but TBH it's probably smaller than some of the smartphones with huge screens that are out there nowadays. :p

OFF-TOPIC EDIT: How come my avatar isn't shown if I'm not logged it?

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,806 of 4,317
  These really hurt my outer left ear due to very large, unusually designed case. Any recommendations for improved comfort?
The seal is fine though. I use foamies.

shave down the edges with a nail file

did it with mine and it works wonders! i can wear them all day without discomfort now

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,808 of 4,317
First time posting..

Just got my 9927's a few days ago after reading through this thread and I love the sound but hated the constant tangle.
So I took the cloth cord and dragged it across a candle several times to stiffen it up- lo and behold- the tangle is
virtually gone! I'm sure it will have to be retrained every once in a while; but I'm smiling!

The wax made the cable a bit more rigid and cut out the static electircity.

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,809 of 4,317
I took the cloth cord and dragged it across a candle several times to stiffen it up- lo and behold- the tangle is virtually gone! I'm sure it will have to be retrained every once in a while; but I'm smiling!

When you say a candle, are you referring to the wax when it's cold, the wax when it's hot and the wick is lit, or the flame itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back