The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Oct 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3,841 of 4,317
Received my 9927s a few days ago, I feel somewhat conflicted about them. Here are my thoughts:

• Stock tips blow.
  • Siblance is present and its annoying. Listen to "Pu$$y" by Iggy Azalea for example.
  • Mids are veiled, highs sound artificial on some tracks. Listen to "Cian't Hear It" by Elliphant for example.
  • Soundstage is small and sometimes muddled. Listen to any of Telemann's Trio Sonatas for example. Another example is "Battle Against Time" by Wintersun.

Grimes' "Oblivion" sounds fantastic, as does most of the female-vocal-poppy **** that's big now. Most rap sounds very good as well - Odd Future's record Radical is great. I haven't gotten much electronic though them yet.

All-in-all, I'd say they can definitely compete with the current $100 IEM offerings and there is no reason not to own a pair or four.

Can someone suggest tips that will tame the highs a bit?

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #3,842 of 4,317
Received my 9927s a few days ago, I feel somewhat conflicted about them. Here are my thoughts:

1. Stock tips blow.
  3. Siblance is present and its annoying. Listen to "Pu$$y" by Iggy Azalea for example.
  5. Mids are veiled, highs sound artificial on some tracks. Listen to "Cian't Hear It" by Elliphant for example.
  7. Soundstage is small and sometimes muddled. Listen to any of Telemann's Trio Sonatas for example. Another example is "Battle Against Time" by Wintersun.

Grimes' "Oblivion" sounds fantastic, as does most of the female-vocal-poppy **** that's big now. Most rap sounds very good as well - Odd Future's record Radical is great. I haven't gotten much electronic though them yet.

All-in-all, I'd say they can definitely compete with the current $100 IEM offerings and there is no reason not to own a pair or four.

Can someone suggest tips that will tame the highs a bit?

i'm surprised you said the soundstage is small... that conflicts with my findings as well as many others,

u probably have to play around with a lot of tips for them to open up

they need some burn in time

regarding your comment about competing with 100$ iems, i wouldn't go THAT FAR
the current sub $100 is magnificent, from the re400s, vsonic gr06, turbines, velodyne vpulse, shure se215, phillips fidelio s1 to name a few off the top of my head. I can vouch for at least 3 of the ones i listed for sure, but i seriously doubt the 8320s or the black versions can oust any of those on sound quality alone

bang for buck maybe

and maybe they would compete with 100$ 5-10 years back, without a doubt. its too competitive atm in the iem business

if you say they beat many sub 50$ you get my like!

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #3,843 of 4,317
Get melec triple flanges. Cut them to doubles if it smoothes them too much. Get eyeglasses microfiber cloth at Walmart. Pull out stock filters. Replace with ones cut from cloth....will blow your mind. Does 85 to 90% of all out Run choi mod which beats the hifiman really 400. Frankly I will take this version over my slightly tweaked 400s. The tweak is adding this cloth as a filtration. Fwiw

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3,845 of 4,317
When you say to pull out the stock filters, are you referencing the metal screen?  Do I secure the microfiber cloth in there at all, or just stick it in?  Does the cloth have to be flat, bunched, folded over, or what?  This part of Rin's mod has me miffed.  

I figure if I'm gonna pull the screen out, I might as well try the superglue mod to go with it.  I can always buy a new pair of 9927s if I screw up.  

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #3,846 of 4,317
Yeah doing the crazy glue is pretty extreme...and its not easy to do unless you are prepared to do the full nozzle replacement.  That is even more involved but not as hard as you would think.  Type Rin choi into your browser along with monoprice 9277 and you should find refrences
to his blog page discussing the 9927 and the full mod.   However doing the cloth and the double flange mod of the melecs is pretty darn close.

Just cut the clothes to replace the mesh.  If you want you can also cover the cloth with the mesh as well.  Tha'ts how i like it.   The crazy glue and the wider noozles improve the upper frequency detail a bit but don't substantially change the sound over just doing the tips and the cloth.

Try it in tripple first.  It's very warm and relaxed but a bit rolled of...somewhat like unto the BA 200's.  But cut down the sound is a bit more open as a double flange with a bit more detail and a little punchier bass.

Either way is a huge improvement over stock!

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3,847 of 4,317
  Yeah doing the crazy glue is pretty extreme...and its not easy to do unless you are prepared to do the full nozzle replacement.  That is even more involved but not as hard as you would think.  Type Rin choi into your browser along with monoprice 9277 and you should find refrences
to his blog page discussing the 9927 and the full mod.   However doing the cloth and the double flange mod of the melecs is pretty darn close.

Just cut the clothes to replace the mesh.  If you want you can also cover the cloth with the mesh as well.  Tha'ts how i like it.   The crazy glue and the wider noozles improve the upper frequency detail a bit but don't substantially change the sound over just doing the tips and the cloth.

Try it in tripple first.  It's very warm and relaxed but a bit rolled of...somewhat like unto the BA 200's.  But cut down the sound is a bit more open as a double flange with a bit more detail and a little punchier bass.

i would like to now are you just using the micro fibre cloth to act as a new screen and just put the tips over it?

of are you shoving the microfiber inside (like pluggin a pipe)

i tried doing that the first (covering the nozzle like hte metal screen before) it made the bass a bit boomy imooo but i'm using single flange maybe thats why

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3,848 of 4,317

it does help with taming down that peak for sure that i can't deny

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,850 of 4,317
Just a heads up, I'm actually finding the 9927's more comfortable if I don't loop the cord around my ear.  I've found that my left ear (again) seems to get a bit sore from the cord rubbing against the frontal-upper cartilage (this does not seem to happen on my right ear).  Not looping the wire around your ear however obviously increases the micro-phonics...

Since I'm going to have to get at least an optical cable from monoprice soon, I may just get a pair of the white 9963 IEMs as well - in particular I had seen several people asking about if the rubberized cord on the 9963 reduced micro-phonics but I didn't see any body even say they owned the white 9963s...

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #3,851 of 4,317
  Just a heads up, I'm actually finding the 9927's more comfortable if I don't loop the cord around my ear.  I've found that my left ear (again) seems to get a bit sore from the cord rubbing against the frontal-upper cartilage (this does not seem to happen on my right ear).  Not looping the wire around your ear however obviously increases the micro-phonics...

Since I'm going to have to get at least an optical cable from monoprice soon, I may just get a pair of the white 9963 IEMs as well - in particular I had seen several people asking about if the rubberized cord on the 9963 reduced micro-phonics but I didn't see any body even say they owned the white 9963s...

let me know what happens i was gonna do that,i was gonna get the white/pink to test the microphonics

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3,852 of 4,317

let me know what happens i was gonna do that,i was gonna get the white/pink to test the microphonics

Well, was a bit wrong on my statement - I mean "may" have to get an optical cable from Monoprice.  Depends whether my father uses his frequent flier miles to get a new receiver or not - the main issue is that all the recievers he can get has either phono OR HDMI, not both.)

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #3,853 of 4,317
I find the best thing is to cut the clothe to the exact size of the nozzle...maybe just a hint wider and then seat it as a filter.  This is after you have removed the 
mesh.   Dont jam it in just seat it.  You can also lightly tamp it with the back of 3/16" drill bit or something of similar diameter.  you could glue it  but you don't have
to.  I find it just a hint smoother putting the mesh back over the microfiber.  It will all stay in...althought when you pull your tips off or change them the filters may come
out.  I just reseat them if they do...not a big deal.  Don't like the idea of glueing something in the nozzles.  Who knows I might want to tinker again sometime.

Tom22 am I correct assuming you have those singleajammed all the way down to the top of the nozzle?   If you have them in the nozzles that's exactly it.  Nice clean cutting there.  They appear to be seated nicely.  The monoprice need some length to the tip to properly develop the bass and smooth some of the resonnance.  Double flanges' work really well after doing the filter change.  I used to do a triple melec which kills the resonance develops the bass and unfortunately dulls the highs a bit.  Properly seated you should find the microfiber balance the mids, add a little punch to the bass...and only slightly soften the highs while subtley fleshing out and sweeting the sound just a hint.  You should notice a blacker background and better focus than stock as well.  Either use lostearbuds from ebay or melecs.  Both are clear.  The lostearbudsare a bit more opaque looking and just a hint softer...I slightly prefer them.

FWIW, Happy Listening!

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3,854 of 4,317
  When you say to pull out the stock filters, are you referencing the metal screen?  Do I secure the microfiber cloth in there at all, or just stick it in?  Does the cloth have to be flat, bunched, folded over, or what?  This part of Rin's mod has me miffed.  

I figure if I'm gonna pull the screen out, I might as well try the superglue mod to go with it.  I can always buy a new pair of 9927s if I screw up.  

Just a single layer seated at the tip of the nozzle...that's all.  Nothing else other than double or triple flange neccessary.  My recommendation is melec or lostearbuds cut down to a double...but listen to a triple,..it creates a wonderfully warm slightly lower midrange predominant ambiance that is very pleasing...almost romantic to listen too.

But in the end the doubles are more detailed and involving and don't seem to lose anything in the bottom...you may actually find them to have a bit more punch.

Happy Listening!

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,855 of 4,317
  I find the best thing is to cut the clothe to the exact size of the nozzle...maybe just a hint wider and then seat it as a filter.  This is after you have removed the 
mesh.   Dont jam it in just seat it.  You can also lightly tamp it with the back of 3/16" drill bit or something of similar diameter.  you could glue it  but you don't have
to.  I find it just a hint smoother putting the mesh back over the microfiber.  It will all stay in...althought when you pull your tips off or change them the filters may come
out.  I just reseat them if they do...not a big deal.  Don't like the idea of glueing something in the nozzles.  Who knows I might want to tinker again sometime.

Tom22 am I correct assuming you have those singleajammed all the way down to the top of the nozzle?   If you have them in the nozzles that's exactly it.  Nice clean cutting there.  They appear to be seated nicely.  The monoprice need some length to the tip to properly develop the bass and smooth some of the resonnance.  Double flanges' work really well after doing the filter change.  I used to do a triple melec which kills the resonance develops the bass and unfortunately dulls the highs a bit.  Properly seated you should find the microfiber balance the mids, add a little punch to the bass...and only slightly soften the highs while subtley fleshing out and sweeting the sound just a hint.  You should notice a blacker background and better focus than stock as well.  Either use lostearbuds from ebay or melecs.  Both are clear.  The lostearbudsare a bit more opaque looking and just a hint softer...I slightly prefer them.

FWIW, Happy Listening!

if what you mean is just covering the top of the nozzle with the cloth, yes thats what i did, its just 1 layer of cloth over the nozzle.

i did notice it smoothed out the reasonance, bumped the mid bass up a bit (id rather bump the subbass but i digress) the treble does suffer sadly,( the treble was pretty low on sparkle to begin with

but yes it did get rid of that nasty mid-treble peak--> on that note very pleasing to listen to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back