The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Sep 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3,817 of 4,317
dunno if anyones curious but here is my first custom molds.. messed up, they tore after a week of use, far too thin in some areas

my second ones are still fine after 3 months,

but now i prefer the sound of it without the molds, the molds cover the bassport (not as much as as with tape) with the tape its completely bloated to me. with this the mid bass is emphasized ( its subbass is almost non existent anyway so little texture and , covered bass port or not)--> kills soundstage

i currently use just single flange with no tape or anything but i rarely use it now that i have the re400s which to my ears is many leagues above 

imo i don't hate, i think the 8320 are like amateur or rec league in sports and the re400 is pro level

they both are fairly neutral ( re400s more neutral) but re400s are just more articulate and precise when imaging, you can tell where some electro synths pop up and they fade out quickly like magic  and centres the sound more. sound stage is not as vast as the 8320s though of course its soo airy (its best feature)

the treble on the re400 is so much better, more sparkles and delicate without siblance ( my ears are fairly sensitive to siblance)--> its close to siblant but not yet

the 8320s treble is rolled off but its perfect for the treble sensitive so its good in that aspect

the mids their both clear but the 8320s are just too thin for my tastes, the mid bass bleeds in a bit taking away detail

the bass ( the re400s extends farther and to some is too bass light ) i find them a bit bass light but it images so well, its okay for me!

the bass on the 8320s are punchy and very good for electronic music, and since its sound stage is soo vast it feels like a mini club. if you wanna take it step farther you can put the tape on (maybe poke a small hole with a needle ) but this kills the soundstage

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,818 of 4,317
I am a happy member of the $7.11 club, so I gotta share my findings right?!! Well, I happened to snag the Audyssey app (yes, that Audyssey) for iphone a few months back when it was free, and it had a pretty nice selection of 'phones, no Monoprice though (ya, shocking huh?). The audyssey app supposedly calibrates to your particular headphone, but has basic bass and treble tweaks too. Sooooo, they added the MP8320 to the newest update!! (I did suggest it afterall :wink:) And I gotta say, it is nice!! If it's still free, you gotta try it! I'm curious to see what others think....

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,819 of 4,317
Just did the shaved-off mod and that was the easiest filing job I've ever done, only took me maybe 30 minutes total.  I used the same metal file that I use on the hard plastic used in various electronics and it just totally ate through the rubberized-plastic that's on the 9927.  By comparison, I've spent hours cutting/filing/otherwise modifying other hard-plastic electronics such as game controllers and AMD CPU mounting brackets.

But beware that you don't blow or are very careful of blowing the shavings that are left over!  You don't want to end up like this guy and damage your IEMs:

Quote:
  Warning: lucky I bought two pair of these, as I put my lips around the back of these and lightly blew into the back of one of them, just to see if they were open back, and ruined the thing. Don't be a dope like me and do this, they don't seem able to take even a .1 psi difference in pressure and made a death rattle, they are open backed, trust me. The ear piece I blew in still works but it lacks any treble. Doh!

EDIT: Wow, that shaving mod helped the long-term comfort a lot!  I'm currently in the middle of a music-listening marathon since, with this mod + my no-name white tips w/ a slightly shallower fit, this is the most comfortable I've ever been with the 9927s.  Currently I've found that the music from the original Unreal Tournament sounds awesome on these.  Then again, Unreal Tournament's music is awesome period. :p

Interestingly enough, Touhou music doesn't seem to sound that much better - it's clearer than what I had before, but that's about it.  All the extra clarity seems to have done is make it more obvious that it's synthesized - it sounds a bit too flat, a bit too lifeless, and a bit too artificial compared to other synthesized music, such as the music from the Clannad and Fate/stay night visual novels. lol imma derp, it was the tips and/or the seal.  Re-testing with the stock tips from the white 9963 Monoprice IEMs results in considerably less flat-ness.

EDIT 2: Surprisingly Clannad's music seems to be some of the best-sounding stuff on these IEMs; I did not expect that at all!

I personally was expecting Metroid Prime to sound great, but it doesn't seem to be anything amazing, though the songs did indeed sound very crisp and clear.  It seemed to me that the more treble-heavy and ambiant ones were the best, while it was the more-midrange songs that seemed to be nothing spactacular.  Meanwhile, that extra clarity helped out Super Metroid quite a bit since, being a Super Nintendo game, the music isn't incredibly crisp. Again, imma derp lawl.  I'll retest some time with the 9963 tips.

EDIT 3: Interestingly enough, Mario Kart 64 is another that sounds amazingly good even though its music is only 26807Hz.  Oddly enough that, is something regarding the song for Rainbow Road - there's a remastered version that's been rendered natively at 44.1KHz.  However, much like Touhou, with all that extra clarity the lesser-quality synthesizer starts to sound too artificial compared to the original 26807Hz version.  I never had this issue of synthesized music sounding too artificial until these IEMs; in a way it's kind of like the uncanny valley, but for audio. More stuff I'll have to re-test with the better 9963 IEM tips.

It would seem that IEMs very good at sounds in the upper-midrange to the lower-highs, even more-so with more ambient sounds.  This would explain why Mario Kart 64 (the lower sample rate give a bit of ambiance) and especially why Clannad sound so good!

EDIT 4: Got another one, add F-Zero GX to the "made of win" list.  Not surprising since its musical style is pretty similar to Unreal Tournament, but with more ambiance.

And I'll leave it at that, I'm going to bed.

NM64's 9927 (WIP) List of Musical WIN
  1. Clannad
  2. F-Zero GX
  3. Mario Kart 64
  4. Unreal Tournament

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3,820 of 4,317
dunno if anyones curious but here is my first custom molds.. messed up, they tore after a week of use, far too thin in some areas

;

try not using so much mold... use in conjuction with a single or double flanged tip ,, i have tutorials on how i did mine somewhere in here

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #3,821 of 4,317
It's amazing how much effort is going into making these pretty good cheap iem's into something better. But you do know that you can use your brain to fill in, increase reality, and get much closer to the music regardless of the hardware. I took my wife to a long wait time medical facility and the crappy sound system was playing a very low volume facsimile of some Rossini Overtures, and armed only with my love of the Thieving Magpie I was able to recreate the highs, the lows, the fidelity, and the performance and appreciate that brilliant music. I'm not saying this process isn't easier with a truer signal, but IMHO for a tenth of the effort people are putting into modding these IEM's they could make a far more critical improvement that can be universally applied to listening in general. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #3,822 of 4,317
  It's amazing how much effort is going into making these pretty good cheap iem's into something better. But you do know that you can use your brain to fill in, increase reality, and get much closer to the music regardless of the hardware. I took my wife to a long wait time medical facility and the crappy sound system was playing a very low volume facsimile of some Rossini Overtures, and armed only with my love of the Thieving Magpie I was able to recreate the highs, the lows, the fidelity, and the performance and appreciate that brilliant music. I'm not saying this process isn't easier with a truer signal, but IMHO for a tenth of the effort people are putting into modding these IEM's they could make a far more critical improvement that can be universally applied to listening in general. 

This guy is completly right. Hear Les Miserables soundtrack first, then read the book and watch the movie, hear the soundtrack back. For me it sounded completly different, I thought I had two soudtrack albums with diffent singers and with different audio qualities. It was an amazing experience for me. If you can picture the song, understand it and even identify your self with it, the head gear you use won´t matter.
And don´t kill me for my 2cents.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #3,824 of 4,317
  But what about when a modification is done for comfort? :p

Yeah, that's different
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back