The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,781 of 4,317
Any advice on good tips with the MP 8320  that are comfortable and will not slip when running or lots of activity?  I tried the T400 foam tips and they fell apart in one month the fit was not good either.  Also, if there is no way to make the 8320 fit snug with no slipping what IEMs can be bought for that use that sound good and are priced well?  Last question for the people using Android devices to power there music what EQ or DSP app does everyone use?

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,783 of 4,317
Well, I'll admit, I do have an extra pair of tips, but I didn't mention them because they're no-names that came with some no-name IEMs that my father got on a flight for a business trip, and therefore I've absolutely no information on them, other than they're white and plasticy-rubbery. I've actually been using them since they seem to be as long as the large stock tips with a diameter of the medium tips but are thinner and less rigid, so can collapse down to a smaller diameter-size with less pressure.

Though, one thing I've actually been doing is using one white no-name tip for the left ear and using one stock small tip for the right ear. I'm one of those people "blessed" with differently shaped ears - my left ear has a bit of cartilage above my ear canal that sticks out somewhat noticeably farther than it does on my right ear, so the extra length of the white no-name tips help considerably with that, otherwise the small tips require the left IEM to be inserted farther in which exerts too much pressure on said cartilage and therefore will ache after a moderate amount of time (30 minutes to an hour if I remember correctly).

EDIT: Also according to my q-tip/cotton swap test, my left ear canal entrance is a teeny bit bigger than my right. In particular, while I couldn't fit a third q-tip/cotton swap, I was able to insert it a teeny bit and make it stay in place if I kept my head still. By comparison I couldn't get a third one to fit in my right ear canal entrance at all.

i only mentioned sony hybrids because they work for me.... its not just go to answer... it actually works.... and their comfortable and don't fall out..

IEMS could just not be for you if its that painful. try to demo a pair of klipsch s4 if those tips hurt you theres not much except foam and by foam i mean like comply foam or drug store foam, anything else would probably be too stiff for you

. if your going to question like that... it makes it hard to even recommend something... someones answering your question... if its not good enough clarify.... don't start bashing the entire community... i've met people like you, ungrateful and thinks they deserve the best. Well tough luck and go figure it out yourself if nothing works.  if your desperate read all 253 pages of the form

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3,784 of 4,317
  Any advice on good tips with the MP 8320  that are comfortable and will not slip when running or lots of activity?  I tried the T400 foam tips and they fell apart in one month the fit was not good either.  Also, if there is no way to make the 8320 fit snug with no slipping what IEMs can be bought for that use that sound good and are priced well?  Last question for the people using Android devices to power there music what EQ or DSP app does everyone use?

that sounds about right

well you could try the other monoprice iem 
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=9396&seq=1&format=2

for 6 bucks its worth a shot

you could try the phillips she 3590.. cheap and sounds good (needs lots of burn in 50 hours) not a lot but 

the two i mentioned above are not the same signature as the 8320s. both under 10$ or 15$ if you can't find it cheap online

both are v shaped signature, imo good for working out and exercising.

i only have personal experience with the phillips and use them with my sony hybrid eartips. they sorta mold better than other eartips and seal well and they warm the sound a bit

if your willing to spend more i could recommend some other but whats your budget

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #3,785 of 4,317

try filling down the ridges, after doing that it become a lot more comfortable and rarely ever slip out for me. doesn't look pretty but since they slip into my ear, most of its not visible.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #3,786 of 4,317

i only mentioned sony hybrids because they work for me.... its not just go to answer... it actually works.... and their comfortable and don't fall out..

Yeah, I understand that, but realizing that all of our ears are different, it's not exactly that definitive of an answer, you know?  That's why I really just wanted a size comparison between the small Ts-400 and the small stock tips since that'd be applicable to anyone that purchased the 9927.

So in your case, the question would be - how is the size and fit of the Sony Hybrids compared to the stock tips, particularly the small and medium stock tips?  I mean, I did read about those tips as well from this thread before purchasing the 9927 and in fact have those tips bookmarked (along with like 10 others)

EMS could just not be for you if its that painful. try to demo a pair of klipsch s4 if those tips hurt you theres not much except foam and by foam i mean like comply foam or drug store foam, anything else would probably be too stiff for you.

Well they aren't PAINFUL, it's just that they're not comfortable whether it be the feeling of "stuffed ears" or itchiness or whatnot..  For example, I just stuck the IEMs in my ears about two minutes ago with the small stock tips on both sides and within the last minute I can already feel both of my ears becoming itchy...and now I just took the IEMs out to itch my ears.

Oh, and I made a mistake - last night my 2-hour session was with my no-name white tips on BOTH the left and right.  From some quick and dirty testing I think the white tips, much like the medium stock tips, are more comfortable in the short term but interestingly enough, after removal, they make my ears considerably more itchy.

if your going to question like that... it makes it hard to even recommend something... someones answering your question... if its not good enough clarify.... don't start bashing the entire community... i've met people like you, ungrateful and thinks they deserve the best. Well tough luck and go figure it out yourself if nothing works.  if your desperate read all 253 pages of the form

I stated that I already read over 100 pages of this thread.  Perhaps you thought I was exaggerating?  I wasn't - ok I counted wrong, it's 86 pages.  I've read the first 76 pages and the 10 most recent pages, and yes I read every single post on those pages.  This was the majority of my research that I did that convinced me to purchase the 9927.

As for feeling ungrateful and deserving the best, I apologize if I came off that way - again, coming from a scientific and technical background, my posts are typically lacking of emotion and are very "matter of fact" since not doing that usually results in causing drama, backlash, etc - I've had multiple cases of a bad history with times I've become emotive and/or overly-enthusiastic.  Even in real life, social interaction has been my number one weakness.

Now admittedly, your post was indeed very level-headed and brought to my attention several of the details that I had originally included in my originally-typed post but I had forgotten to mention in the re-typed post, so I'm partially at fault for that.  For one thing, you and jgwtriode had posted only 5 minutes apart, so I ended up kind of shmooshing together my reply to both of you into the same post, when in reality you two were saying quite different things.  In particular it irked me a bit to see someone suggesting things on how to "make em really sing" when all I had asked was about size & comfort, and that "irked"-ness kind of overflowed into the rest of my post/s...I guess that could be a pet-peave of mine now that I think about it: assuming things, which admittedly I'm guilty of myself and may be partially why it does annoy me so - it pains me to see other people replicating my faults.

Think we can both start this over and try again?

EDIT: I must say though, I did kind of laugh at the part where you assumed that I thought I deserved the best - you should totally check out what the specs of my main desktop PC are then. :p
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/2530299

In other news, how can I set it to use the manual BBcode post entry form thing?  I'm getting quite annoyed by when I type the corresponding bbcode and it doesn't actually do anything...

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3,787 of 4,317
Another example of budget cans the Chinese reprice to what they compete with.

This IEM is $38 on taobao, not $7.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,788 of 4,317
So I was reading through the amazon reviews for the Sony Hybrids and one person said that they don't even have the slight itchiness you'd get with foam tips.  Now I don't have any foam tips, but I DO have foam earplugs, and sure enough said earplugs do cause some itchiness.

However, I get the in-ear itchiness even with the stock Monoprice tips, and they certainly aren't foam... Though now that I think of it, my no-name white tips may not cause said in-ear itchiness, but they do definitely cause post-IEM-removal ear itchiness.

Also there are apparently some much cheaper "clones" of the Sony Hybrid tips on ebay.  The follow tips were posted in this here thread, and I'm wondering if these are the Sony Hybrid "clones" in question:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151016674505

EDIT: Ok now this is wonky.  When I have the IEMs w/ stock tips in my ears but no audio is playing, the itchiness will occur within a minute or so and I can feel pressure on the sides of my ear canal.  As soon as I start to play some sound through the IEMs, both the itchiness and the pressure start to go away or at least decrease.  My guess is that the ear canal starts to open up up due to the presence of sound.  Alternatively, the presence of sound distracts the nerves in my ears away from the physical feeling of the tips in my ears.

EDIT 2: Not sure what to make of this, but if I'm listening/watching something humorous, when I grin or laugh I feel considerably more pressure from the stock tips in my ear canals.  It's almost as if the muscles for making a smile cause the ear canal to compress and/or tighten somewhat.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #3,789 of 4,317
You likely have a slight sensitivity to the rubber compound used in a lot of tips.  When you're listening to music you don't focus on it so you don't notice it.

And yes, it's common knowledge that jaw movement changes the shape of the ear canal.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #3,790 of 4,317
@nintendo maniac

if you are having excessive issues with in-ear phones maybe you should be looking for on ear or over ear headphones. no need to make yourself uncomfortable for listening to music. there are various alternatives that can be found.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #3,791 of 4,317
Well good news, but it's wacky.

So I was just comparing the stock small tips and my no-name white tips again, and now neither of them seem to be causing the in-ear itching.  The main thing I did differently was that, instead of itching or scratching my ear canals, I just "rubbed" them a bit with my finger tips.  I think what was happening, at least partially, was that it was the scratching causing irritation which was causing the long-term itchiness.  When the irritation wasn't completely "soothed", the action of inserting or removing the tips caused the itchy irritation to "reignite", where the insertion resulting in "in-ear itchiness" and removal resulted in "post-IEM-removal itchiness".

This is mainly my fault - I usually keep my fingernails a bit long since they help a TON when working with smaller computer parts, and poking around inside a computer with pliers and/or flat-head screwdriver is NOT a good idea. :p

Of course, the general "there's something stuffed in my ears" feeling is still there.

I'll try that for a bit and report back.

EDIT: I do think extended use of the tips do cause some itchiness however, and it was when I tried to itch said itchiness that I caused irritation, and from then on I'd get the itchiness just from inserting and removing the tips.

Perhaps that would actually be something that q-tips could be useful for, just rubbing and soothing the ear canal entrance if you have long-ish finger nails which prevent you from just using your fingers?

EDIT 2: Dang it, I haven't worn the IEMs for like 4 hours but in the last hour it's been feeling like my right ear is starting to try to swell itself shut much like my left ear did on Sunday.  I did notice however that, back 4 hours ago, during the 30 minutes or so that I wore the IEMs that the small stock tip in my left ear had a better seal than the white no-name tip in my left ear, but also felt "harder" or "less collapsable" than the white no-name tip in my left ear and therefore it felt like there was more pressure being exerted on the walls of my ear canal.

Perhaps this "hardness" and lack of deformation in the stock tips is what people are talking about when they say the stock tips are crap?  In that case I may try to use the white no-name tips in both ears again, but with a not-as-deep fit since that seems to help the comfort quite a bit in my case with either tip. (this compares to the 2-hour session I had previously with the white tips in both ears, but that was before I discovered the improved long-term comfort from not putting them in as deep)

Just to make sure, I've stuck all the stock tips and my white no-name tips in a plastic bag and will leave them in the freezer overnight to disinfect.  I also did this after my left-ear swelling incident on Sunday.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3,792 of 4,317
I used them for over a month about four days a week. They started to fall apart and are useless. The fit was not snug nor comfortable. At the price they were going for,10$ I'd say they were a rip off. Any ways I like the sound of iems and how small they are over using over the ear head phones which ate usually bulky. Any suggestions appreciated, what about the meelectronics ? I tried the mee over the east hooks but the mono price would still slip out after sweating and running

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #3,794 of 4,317
Yeah I did see that... I honestly hadn't considered it, but I am pretty handy with hardware (I'm currently 4 for 4 with CPU IHS removals, and that's via the classic razor method, not the modern vice + block & hammer method).

In other news the pain in my right ear subsided a couple hours ago.  Looks like it wasn't a swelling after all and was just soreness or something.

Considering I haven't gotten any sleep yet (I plan to do so very soon), my tips are still "disinfecting" in the freezer since I was going to do that overnight, and so I still haven't varified my hypothesis of using the white no-name tips with a shallower fit.  The seal won't be as good, but honestly I don't care that much since I'm not a basshead and my environment is quiet enough - heck the noise floor of my kind of old sound card is louder than my Trinitron CRT monitor, and my CRT is louder than my PC actually is (read: SSD + 120mm PSU fan @ 560rpm and 140mm CPU fan @ 0rpm to 300rpm, and that's not a typo)

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3,795 of 4,317
I accidentally let my 9927's get too close to my PortaPros tonight while I was doing some cleaning.  Big mistake.  The 9927's attacked the PortaPros with a vengeance.  Wrapping its cord around the poor helpless Koss headphones.  Before I knew what happened, the Pro was in a death grip from the Monoprice.  It was touch and go for a while, but after 20 minutes I was able to finally pull the 9927 off of the PortaPro.

Crazy how fast they can tangle.  Still love them though, even though you never know when they will attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back