The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Sep 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2,476 of 4,317
While I did enjoy the sound of the 8320, the difficulty in getting them to fit made them pretty low-value to me. I've been so impressed with every aspect of the entire VSONIC lineup, that I think I'd sooner recommend the $20 GR99 over the 8320. Even if the 8320 has the potential for slightly higher quality, the fit and cabling issues negate that. Especially since I was only able to get that quality of sound twice even with hours of adjusting (not to mention the left-ear pain). And, the VSONICs come with oodles of tips and a case.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2,478 of 4,317
Which of the new Monoprice IEMs are everyone most interested in?  I'd be willing to try them for science but buying all three seems a bit silly, especially after hearing the extremely muddy discontinued Monoprice Sony-knock-offs from last year.

Sound quality promised by descriptions:
9398 - Punchy bass and mids and clear sustains?
9397 - Full (read: bloated) lows and mids.  Great for dubstep and jazz!
9396 - V-shaped goodness

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,479 of 4,317
Quote:
Which of the new Monoprice IEMs are everyone most interested in?  I'd be willing to try them for science but buying all three seems a bit silly, especially after hearing the extremely muddy discontinued Monoprice Sony-knock-offs from last year.

Sound quality promised by descriptions:
9398 - Punchy bass and mids and clear sustains?
9397 - Full (read: bloated) lows and mids.  Great for dubstep and jazz!
9396 - V-shaped goodness

Um why not buy all 3, no other way to find out how they sound...  Its not like they cost the earth anyway.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #2,480 of 4,317
Quote:
Can anyone comment on the sensitivity of these? For the moment 99% of my listening is thru my Samsung galaxy nexus and the power is somewhat underwhelming with that as the source. Not horrible but doesn't pump out that last 20 or so % of the volume I like to have when listening loud.

The Nexus S, yes? 

From what I can tell, your 8320s are not properly electrically damped by your phone (source). The Nexus S' output impedance, according to Golden Ears, is 13.63 Ohms, and the 8320s' impedance is, according to Monoprice, 32 Ohms. Generally speaking, a 13.63 Ohm source isn't that desirable for a 32 Ohm headphone/earphone. I have the same 'issue' (it's no issue) with my 8320s plugged to my laptop's headphone out. I don't know the output impedance of my laptop's soundcard, but it's probably not much lower than that of the Nexus S.

I'm no expert, so hopefully the next poster can answer your question better, in a more coherent manner.

GE = http://goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Mobile&page=2&document_srl=1734676
You have a fancy phone! Not to say I envy you, at all. 
biggrin.gif

edit = A snippet from GE's review (translated by the ever proficient Google Translate) :
"Does not test the strength of the signal does not reach the reference level range is one of the disadvantages of the RMAA. Because of this, if you do not load test maximum volume clipping from happening, and if you do not at least check the load test, omit the item."

The message is, RMAA doesn't perform load tests on impedance loads that are either too weak (in signal strength) or clipped. GE's RMAA load test results do not display impedance loads under 62 Ohms, meaning a 32 Ohm load output signal from the Nexus S is probably both weak, and (possibly badly) clipped. 

So yeah, don't listen to the 8320s plugged to your Nexus S, unless it's your only option.
But again, my laptop probably isn't any better. And I wouldn't invest in sources and amplifiers for something that I paid $7.11 for.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2,485 of 4,317
Quote:
Well, who knows? It could be that the 8320s are perpetually quite sounding.

I do feel that these lack the coziness of some headphones.

My iPhone 3G almost deafened me when I accidentally started a song at full volume. My normal listening volume is quite loud, and half volume on my iPhone is almost too much.

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #2,486 of 4,317
Does anyone know if theyre sold anywhere else than Monoprice's own site?
$38 including shipping costs is a bit too much if theyre only $7...

And, for you who own them. I have the XKDUN CP-700 (yes, those amazing focalprice in ears!) and Im wondering if the Monoprices are better (or much better) since the CP-700 cost only $5,50 with free shipping. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,487 of 4,317

And, for you who own them. I have the XKDUN CP-700 (yes, those amazing focalprice in ears!) and Im wondering if the Monoprices are better (or much better) since the CP-700 cost only $5,50 with free shipping. 

Contact this member, he sells them privately.

http://www.head-fi.org/u/47483/some1

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #2,488 of 4,317
Quote:

Amazon has them $8.55 shipped free.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Enhanced-Hi-Fi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B007VEQ2UU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349010223&sr=8-1&keywords=monoprice+8320

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #2,489 of 4,317
Thanks guys! 

Amazon ships them free in the US, but not to EU, and that's a pity. It is, however, cheaper than buying from Monoprice directly I see (+- $15) so Ill have a look at what I should do.
Im still not too sure about the differences between SQ of the XKDUN CP-700 and these beauties though.  

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2,490 of 4,317
Quote:
Thanks guys! 

Amazon ships them free in the US, but not to EU, and that's a pity. It is, however, cheaper than buying from Monoprice directly I see (+- $15) so Ill have a look at what I should do.
Im still not too sure about the differences between SQ of the XKDUN CP-700 and these beauties though.  

You'll be quite pleasantly surprised provided you get a proper seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back