The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Mar 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #1,652 of 4,317
I got 2 pr of these shiny big guys about a weeks ago. I thought they sounded absolutely horrible at first. I realized then, that it is very difficult to get a seal (no bass) due to the size (like a very large ear-bud) and a very short nozzle. After rifling thru my entire tip supply, I finally settled on some triple flanges with the smallest flange cut off. I will also be adding the foam ring underneath. I have to admit, they sound really, really good for the money. They do have a slight peak in the high midrange low treble spectrum, but it surprisingly is not that offensive. I have to say, overall, these are a great buy. With the mid high emphasis, they are also really good for listening to audiobooks and podcasts.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #1,653 of 4,317
So what this needs is a medium or large tip, that mean that the replacement ones that came with my ProAlphas won't do much good...

I don't think I would like the feeling of foamtips like the Complys, what other alternatives do I have?

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #1,654 of 4,317

Quote:
So what this needs is a medium or large tip, that mean that the replacement ones that came with my ProAlphas won't do much good...

I don't think I would like the feeling of foamtips like the Complys, what other alternatives do I have?

What I needed was a very long tip to get all the way into my ear. Otherwise no seal, and no bass. Most of my regular tips weren't long enough for me. Not even the standard length comply foam tips. If you can find some tips that work for you, these IEMs can be very nice.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #1,655 of 4,317
I just read through the first 40 pages of this thread. We kinda laid it on thick back there 
biggrin.gif
 40 pages in less than a month...no one but Dsnuts.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #1,656 of 4,317
Yeah. 
rolleyes.gif

I read all the pages! And listened to all the tracks posted too. There's some good stuff here! Eventually I'll get a pair too, if for nothing other than experimenting on. I'm saving up already for a higher end AT IEM.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,657 of 4,317
Look what came today!
tongue.gif

I'm no audiophile but a bargain is a bargain!  Lets see how good they sound!

Edit:
Wow, these blew me away.  First song I listened to was Pendulum - The Island Pt 1

Insane!  I'll be ordering another pair soon.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,658 of 4,317
     Quote:
What I needed was a very long tip to get all the way into my ear. Otherwise no seal, and no bass. Most of my regular tips weren't long enough for me. Not even the standard length comply foam tips. If you can find some tips that work for you, these IEMs can be very nice.

What tips did you end up using?

ColdRush, are you using these right out of the box?

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,659 of 4,317
I ended up using the large triple flange tips from my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. They went way to deep, so I cut the smallest flange off and made them a dual flange. Then I did the foam ring around the base trick.

Like this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/383917/how-to-best-custom-tips-for-iems-ever-imho-with-pics/120#post_7480643

If you don't need to go that deep, you could use some silicone tips with the foam underneath.

I use this trick for all of my IEMs. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,660 of 4,317
I bought two pairs of these after someone on one of the car forums I frequent ranted about what a ridiculous value they are. I've been listening to them for about two weeks now, probably about 60 hours on them between a couple evenings worth of burn-in and listening to them on my iPod at work. I am fairly impressed by their performance for a measly $7.

As other people have mentioned, the stock tips are horrible. I had to cram them pretty far into my ears to get them to seal, and they were not only uncomfortable but also failed to stay put for more than 30 minutes at a time. These being my first foray into IEMs, I don't have a huge variety of tips to try out, but I have had good results using the small size tips that came with my ATH-CKM50s (yes, I have been reading up and purchased a few other bang-for-buck IEMs too
smile.gif
). Although they are a small tip size, they fit my medium-sized ears pretty well when crammed onto the large-ish nozzle of the 8320s. I can get a seal without having to stuff them into my ears as forcefully as I had to using the stock tips. They are reasonably comfortable and stay put until I intentionally remove them.

In stock form, the bass on these has decent extension but is lacking just a touch in weight IMO. I also noted that they were quite lively in the upper midrange. To address the bass I took the advice from another post in this thread and covered the little port near the nozzle with a ~4mm x 4mm piece of clear packing tape. That resulted in a tad too much bass, so I "tuned" them by putting a few small holes in the tape using a 27 ga needle. Regarding the upper midrange, it seems like the smaller hole in the CKM50 tips may have attenuated that a bit, though I haven't A/B'ed the tips to confirm that suspicion. Whether it was the change in tips, further burn-in, or simply me acclimating to their sonic signature, I don't find the upper midrange objectionable today like I did last week. I'm quite happy with these.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #1,664 of 4,317
I'd love to try these, but I know to Australia postage wll be thrice the price of the IEM. If anyone has a 2nd pair they would like to sell could you do a favour and maybe contact me? I'm happy to pay the postage cost. Just not shipping from the seller as it will be too much.

Please? Thanks.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,665 of 4,317
Hello,

This is my first post here, you guys have an amazing forum here. My brother got me a pair of these, and the highs and mids are amazing for IEMs of this price. The one thing that is missing is bass. There really isn't much lowend at all. What do you think is causing this, and how can I solve this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back