The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Mar 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,636 of 4,317
I would like to order a few of these to keep as backups or gifts but unfortunately Monoprice does not seem to ship to Uruguay. Would any of you guys be willing to receive them and then send them my way? Payment for shipping could consist of buying a couple extra for you or a PayPal deposit.

As an aside, I only started reading the thread and so wanted to ask something before going through the whole of it: are there any worthwhile mods for these or a tip replacement suffice? If the latter, does Monoprice sell any of the recommended tips or would I have to buy them elsewhere?

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,637 of 4,317
I'm new to headphones. I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD448 and then decided to try some eaphones. I figured I'd try the Monoprice just to see if I'd like them. I have to say the 8320s sound just as good as the 448s which was a big surprise to me. Unfortunately they are really uncomfortable! I'll try some different tips to see if that helps. I want to try some other IEMs but really hope to find something comfortable enough to were for extended periods.

cubdog

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,638 of 4,317
I just received my Monoprice 8320's yesterday and been listening to them all day and I LOVE the sound!  MUCH better than the boomy MeElectronics M6P that I bought 2 weeks ago.  The sound is crisp and clear and the base doesn't overwhelm the music in low volumes like the M6P does.  The soundstage is wider than the M6P as well.  My only gripe so far is that the tips it came with don't isolate sound very well so I was hoping to get some recommendations of where to possibly get some good ones from you guys.  I like good isolation so I don't hear too much outside noise BUT I DON'T like when the seal constantly builds pressure in my ear.  These Monoprice tips oddly enough don't build pressure in my ears which I like!  The M6P double flanged tips build too much pressure with the seal and cause discomfort after some time.  I just want the tips to drown out the noise around me so I can listen to the music at lower levels, comfortably with no pressure.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,639 of 4,317
I personally find them to work best with double flanges or foamies, they help keep a seal despite the awkward shape/size of the housing and angle of the nozzle, and tend to isolate better as well.

http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Pro-Tips-replacement--ear/dp/B004GFD1FG/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1331355086&sr=8-29 (not sure if these will fit)

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-Double-Flange-Silicone/dp/B003TW926E/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1331355120&sr=8-20

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Double-Flange-Silicone-Medium/dp/B00134ZBQU/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1331355169&sr=8-64
Quote:
I just received my Monoprice 8320's yesterday and been listening to them all day and I LOVE the sound!  MUCH better than the boomy MeElectronics M6P that I bought 2 weeks ago.  The sound is crisp and clear and the base doesn't overwhelm the music in low volumes like the M6P does.  The soundstage is wider than the M6P as well.  My only gripe so far is that the tips it came with don't isolate sound very well so I was hoping to get some recommendations of where to possibly get some good ones from you guys.  I like good isolation so I don't hear too much outside noise BUT I DON'T like when the seal constantly builds pressure in my ear.  These tips don't build pressure in my ears which I like!  I just want the tips to drown out the noise around me so I can listen to the music at lower levels.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,640 of 4,317
Dsnuts, have you tried the CK-700 from focalprice? There's another large thread about those. Since they are only $6 they seem like they might be something worth comparing to these monoprice phones. I have the CK-700 (though I've only had about 10 minutes to listen to them) and thought they were surprisingly good, especially their sub-bass. I've yet to pick up the 8320s but thought thought you might want to try out the focalprice phones since you are the IEM bang-for-the-buck king. This suggestion is assuming you ever feel like putting down your CKS77s or CKM99s.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #1,641 of 4,317
Because these are vented, unfortunately you aren't going to be able to totally block outside noise with different tips.

Doesn't affect the music really at all, but it's kind of interesting if you put these in and listen to the world around you with the music off. Only high-pitched sounds get through, so everything sounds chirpy.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #1,643 of 4,317
Take a small bit of tape and cover the vent in the housing below the nozzle and they are not vented anymore  :)

Quote:
Because these are vented, unfortunately you aren't going to be able to totally block outside noise with different tips.
Doesn't affect the music really at all, but it's kind of interesting if you put these in and listen to the world around you with the music off. Only high-pitched sounds get through, so everything sounds chirpy.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #1,645 of 4,317
Deezy I'm using these as my every day pair now that my ASG-1 are cleaned and packed for shipping, and I have to say...I mean, they aren't anywhere close in terms of clarity and detail, all of the finer points are missing, but for an IEM less than $60-80, the soundstage and dynamics are fantastic with the 8320, the timbre is reasonably realistic, no really noticeable flaws, dips or spikes in the spectrum, extension on both ends is respectable (bass is a bit doofy but still reasonably extended, down to about 30hz from my youtube frequency sweep tests)...granted, the build (especially the cable) is crap, but every time I stick these things in my ears, I am absolutely floored that these babies retail for less than $50, let alone less than $10. It's really unbelievable. Truth be told they lack the fullness of details and realism that something worth $100 like my old SE215 will generally have, but man...$7.11? 
eek.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,646 of 4,317
And "lacking fullness" isn't so much a flaw as it is a preferential thing. But I agree, every time I listen to these I'm impressed all over again by how good they sound for seven bucks.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,649 of 4,317
While looking for some decent IEMs to replace the cheap buds that came with my Samsung phone, I ran across this thread.  I'm a huge Monoprice fan, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

The 8320s arrived on Friday and I immediately grabbed all thee pairs of my IEMs to compare.  The vast majority of my IEM listening is podcasts, but every once in a while I want to listen to some tunes without having to drag out my big phones.  The two other phones I used as a comparison were: the stock set of buds that came with my Samsung Galaxy S phone as well as a set of Phillips active noise cancelling/amping IEMs that I got at Walmart on clearance a few years ago for around 20 bucks (SHN2500).  

I'll admit, the first time I listened to them, I was totally underwhelmed.  They certainly sounded better than the Samsungs, but not good enough that I wanted to put up with the awkward size and lack of comfort.  In comparison to the SHN2500s, they lacked the 'fullness' I expected from such a large driver.  The SHN2500 go way into the ear canal, so they have that natural bass bump.  I tossed them in the chair next to me and thought to myself "No big loss.  They're less than 10 bucks."

The following day, I decide to go messing around on Soundcloud as I often do.  I grab the 8320s and start listening... AND I GOT IT.  It all made sense.  I was hearing things that I usually wouldn't unless I'm using my ATH-M50 big cans.  The bass that I thought was missing was really not missing, just more flat and natural.  Snares sounded natural and had snap.  Cymbals were individual crashes, not just mushy splashes.  The 8320s are the budget IEM monitors, not headphones.  I think that's why they respond to equalization so well.  

So, in short, thanks for the recommendation head-fi.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,650 of 4,317
Ok so I think these headphones offer an amazing price to performance ratio when it comes to sound quality. The bass has nice impact and extension, good rhythm, good timbre, and was fairly tight and snappy. The bass was solid and strong but didn't really intrude on the mids, and it could be tame with recordings that call for it. I felt the bass was accurate to the recording while being just slightly boosted. The mids sound upfront without being harsh and provide a natural sounding response, and rich timbre. Their is some haziness to the mids but underneath the haze voices will sound warm and rich. Not the most accurate mids but quite pleasing and natural to the ears. The highs are a little weaker then Id like but it is actually pretty good if your used to speakers or live performances where treble energy has space to dissipate. The highs are nothing special but never bother me at least. The soundstage and imaging is very very good for an IEM and makes these bad boys suprisingly detailed until the high treble. They offer tons of depth and space, and show details decaying.

They are really musical and its easy to follow along with the music. You can put the details together easily in your head. Very psycho acoustically correct sounding. Just really organic and fun while being correctly balanced (not flat but natural) at the same time. I personally like a more clinical and flat sound, but the sound is very nicely tuned for their purpose. 

The only complaint I have sound wise is they start to sound cheap and harsh if you try to crank the volume. You can hear the chamber resonances and hollow type sound. But at normal or even high volumes they are good. They tend to sound bad at super high volumes but its not a big deal.

Whoever designed these headphones is very talented and Id love to see more products like this from mono price. Cheap, no nonsense, simple, but great technical performance. And Cheap. There are many high end plastic headphones that probably don't cost much to make material and labor wise. The price on these things blow away the competition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back