The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Dec 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #827 of 4,317
Not a big deal it ain't nothing special anyhow. Kinda generic box. Nothing worth keeping really. What matters is you got the good stuff..Give them a good listen. Let us know how you like em.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #828 of 4,317

Quote:
Just got my pair from Monoprice, they didn't include retail packaging, just a cheap plastic wrap.

I was under the impression that I'd get a nice looking box =\

It's not that nice. Trust me, you won't miss it.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #829 of 4,317
It's more of an OCD than anything else, I like to keep my packaging for all my stuff. 

Listening them at the moment but will reserve judgment until I have more hours on them.

The main thing I notice is that these are pretty open, I can hear the outside and do they leak a little bit. Perhaps it's because of the included tips but they are quite comfortable out the box.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #830 of 4,317
Quote:
To add to that, how exactly does the 75 ohm impedance adapter transform the ER4P to the ER4S, as it's said to?

The ER4P is not just the ER4S with the impedence lowered (and vica versa, the ER4S != ER4P + 75 ohms).  The ER4P is tuned slightly different than the ER4S.  Ety doesn't explain that slight difference in the tuning, but the above graph does show a slight increase in the bass response and a decrease in the 2K and up frequencies in order "give" the ER4P a bit more bass at the lower impedence.

For us lay men, when you add the 75 ohm impedence to the ER4P, you will need to increase the volume of your player to acheive volume levels you are used to, which means you are increasing the signal power to the ER4P, which helps the ER4P respond better than without the add 75 ohms. 

Back to the Monoprice 8320, it has become a very pleasant dynamic balance to my ER4P!  While it is obviously no equal to the ER4P, the difference is suprisingly forgivable and is causing the ER4P to share time with the 8320!

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #831 of 4,317
Where do you get these 75 ohm adapters you're talking about? I've never seen them. I have to turn my PC volume down to 1-5 out of 100 when I'm using most IEMs to be comfortable with the sound level, and for the MEELec A151 I just got even the lowest setting without being muted is a bit loud for my taste. Likewise, I like to plug my 360 directly into headphones  instead of using speakers, and it's too loud for IEMs. (These A151s are lovely, by the way. The 8230s are certainly a condender, though I have to admit I prefer the newer IEMs. Then again, I haven't "burned in" either, nor am I quite sure what that means @.@)

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #832 of 4,317
For $9 after shipping these are really good but they don't compare to the top dollar IEM's I've heard.  I will give them credit though they have a very solid over all sound and work well with edm, I can see these competing with the rest of the under $30 or $40 class.  I'll let them burn in awhile then give it another go but first impressions are good for a under $10 IEM.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #833 of 4,317
Where do you get these 75 ohm adapters you're talking about? I've never seen them. I have to turn my PC volume down to 1-5 out of 100 when I'm using most IEMs to be comfortable with the sound level, and for the MEELec A151 I just got even the lowest setting without being muted is a bit loud for my taste. Likewise, I like to plug my 360 directly into headphones  instead of using speakers, and it's too loud for IEMs. (These A151s are lovely, by the way. The 8230s are certainly a condender, though I have to admit I prefer the newer IEMs. Then again, I haven't "burned in" either, nor am I quite sure what that means @.@)

Im not really sure, but anyone know if splicing resistors into a cable would work? Im guessing a 75 ohm resistor on the ground connection would do it.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #835 of 4,317

Quote:
Im not really sure, but anyone know if splicing resistors into a cable would work? Im guessing a 75 ohm resistor on the ground connection would do it.

It'll work (it was a popular mod with the Altec Lansing iM716) but it won't be very elegant. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #836 of 4,317

Quote:
Can anyone shoot me a link of cheap tips I should purchase along with these??

Don't have any spare tips currently.

Also can you wear these over the ear?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323474575&sr=1-1  These Sony hybrid tips will work well on them. If you can find a spare earplug you can try that donut cut out mod I did on the beginning of the thread to help stiffen the tips.  The ones I am using now are the Monster tips. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTip-Sampler-Starter/dp/B003TFEHMA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323474575&sr=1-3  If you go for the monster tips you can order something else for $5 more and get free shipping..

Wow look at these.. I think if you use these Cheapo 1 cent tips with my donut cut out mod these would be the cheapest. http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Silicone-Creative-Sennheiser-Earphones/dp/B001G6NPRC/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323474575&sr=1-13  1 Cent.. Lol!!

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #837 of 4,317
I would like to thank foremost Dknuts first hand to introduce us to these cheap marvels.
Yes these are cheap
and marvels for the price.

For $7.11 they provide such good sound that now I am questioning my purchase of Klipsch X10 for $95 or the Triple Fi 10.
Of course the Monoprice are not as good as them, but it is about 80% of TFi, and 90% of X10s, 95% of x10s if used in a good music source with amp.
They really shine with the quality source. For $7, this is unbeatable.

Now I am wondering if I should return the X10s back to Amazon, and just keep the Monoprice and buy a few more when they have more in stock as subs.

Monoprice is a great reproducer of instruments, i like the sound signature very well. The main thing it seems to be lacking is the high vocals, it shows itself while I am listening to "One" by "Creed". In the chorus the vocals seem to be a bit muddy. But for the price, it is a must for any music listener.

And they are comfortable as well, very comfortable indeed, the microphonics of the cable can be a bothersome issue though.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #838 of 4,317
Hey thanks for the props man. You guys enjoy your new cheapo value laden MP 8320s.. For me I use my eq and it brings out that extra that is missing from the sound on these. You guys would be surprised at just how effective a bit of eQ does for these.. I know they aren't perfect but hey for the cost I am willing to put up with some of the negatives. Tangle problem/ cord noise..I don't know if it is the big drivers these have or what it is about them but they seem to take to eQ much better than your average earphone.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #839 of 4,317
trying these out on some more goa/psy these are proving more balanced by the day not as capable as my 900s but for the price im not complaining. Im looking to recable these over the holidays ill let you guys know how that turns out and stuffing the tips with ear plug foam helps the fit alot

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #840 of 4,317

Quote:

For $7.11 they provide such good sound that now I am questioning my purchase of Klipsch X10 for $95 or the Triple Fi 10.

I don't know about that my TF10's are still a lot better than these as they should be but for $9 though these are very capable IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back