The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #4,096 of 4,317

These are still holding up and can be worn for hours with no fatigue and I'm only using a double flange as the inner tube.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #4,097 of 4,317
I have another question or two:

(1) I was feeling like the treble on the 9927s was kind of piercing, but it occurred to me that I just had the volume too high - maybe I was getting a bad seal, turning the volume up to compensate for the bad seal, and the "piercing" or "bright" was actually just the volume being too high with a bad seal. Does that make sense?

(2) These odd-shaped gels came with a Nokia bluetooth headset that I had. Their shape makes it look like they're supposed to sit on the outside of your ear canal, not go in it. However, the small ones do fit in my ear canal - tightly - and provide a pretty good seal. Any concerns about the shape of these being damaging to the ear canal? They don't compress like dome-shaped gels do.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #4,100 of 4,317

That is what I was thinking. The fit is tight, and it doesn't "give" like a dome-shaped gel would. 

agreed plus in response to your earlier post i think you have a bad seal try single flange tips first all the sizes and then move to double flanges if that doesn't work out and then triple flange if you have to

the treble on these things shouldn't be piercing at all it is actually imo a rather subdue treble it rolls of pretty quick (now this is stock with just single flanges) the treble is quite laid back imo its alright but not the most revealing but not piercing or siblant at all

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,101 of 4,317
the treble on these things shouldn't be piercing at all it is actually imo a rather subdue treble it rolls of pretty quick (now this is stock with just single flanges) the treble is quite laid back imo its alright but not the most revealing but not piercing or siblant at all

okay, maybe i was right - it's not that the treble is painful, it's that i'm just getting a bad seal and overcompensating by making the volume too loud.

I am experimenting with some Shure tips that I have - I really don't like foam. Next step is the double flanges.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #4,102 of 4,317
okay, maybe i was right - it's not that the treble is painful, it's that i'm just getting a bad seal and overcompensating by making the volume too loud.

I am experimenting with some Shure tips that I have - I really don't like foam. Next step is the double flanges.

The flex sleeves i didt like really small bore tips , on the especially large nozzles on the 8320s overly warm sound made the highs seem recesseed made bass bloated

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4,103 of 4,317
I have the Comply T-400 tips and they are starting to hurt my ear canal within an hour of putting them in. Makes me not want to use the buds.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #4,104 of 4,317
Great news guys, I no longer have much reason to actively advertise the white 9963 IEMs.

Why is that you say?  Take a look yourself:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=8320

That's right, Monoprice now includes a link to the alternate colors right on the product page.

Oddly enough, only the description for the silver 8320 IEMs mentions the fabric cord even though the black 9927 IEMs has it too.  I kind of disagree with their mentioning of it being high quality considering the microphonics it causes, but they're most likely just referring to the physical construction and not the overall characteristics of the cord.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the Comply T-400 tips and they are starting to hurt my ear canal within an hour of putting them in. Makes me not want to use the buds.

I dislike foam tips for a similar reason as well, but I kind of expected it considering that I have a hard time sleeping with earplugs for similar discomfort reasons.  Of course my only experience with foam tips was with those from the below-linked sample pack, so I don't really know how similar or different Comply's foam tips would feel.

I personally use a medium single flange (left ear) and a medium double flange (right ear) from the following sample pack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151168006538

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #4,105 of 4,317
I wish I knew the microphonics on these were so bad before ordering them, makes them unusable.

I take it the white version with the rubber cable has no microphonics in comparison?

Can i wrap the cord in insulation tape or sellotape to stop microphonics?

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #4,107 of 4,317
I am terrible at DIY, I would just end up destroying them. So ideas on modding the cord as is, would wrapping the full thing in insulation tape work?

There is also products called plasti dip and rubber dip which would allow me to coat the cord in a thin layer of rubber/plastic but they are expensive for a tub/can.

Using sellotape would cost me less than £1. I only paid £3.50 for them, so I'm not overly bothered but wished the microphonics had been made a lot clearer, people are only focusing on the pro's and not the major con in these IEM's.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4,109 of 4,317
  I am terrible at DIY, I would just end up destroying them. So ideas on modding the cord as is, would wrapping the full thing in insulation tape work?

There is also products called plasti dip and rubber dip which would allow me to coat the cord in a thin layer of rubber/plastic but they are expensive for a tub/can.

Using sellotape would cost me less than £1. I only paid £3.50 for them, so I'm not overly bothered but wished the microphonics had been made a lot clearer, people are only focusing on the pro's and not the major con in these IEM's.

But then again, if you do destroy them, they were only £3.50. And you get some experience with DIY projects. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #4,110 of 4,317
I wish I knew the microphonics on these were so bad before ordering them, makes them unusable.

I take it the white version with the rubber cable has no microphonics in comparison?

Can i wrap the cord in insulation tape or sellotape to stop microphonics?

these have worked out great for me.. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Over_the_Ear_Cable_Guides_p/ep-cableguide-bk.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back