The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Mar 26, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #4,112 of 4,317
  I wish I knew the microphonics on these were so bad before ordering them, makes them unusable.

I take it the white version with the rubber cable has no microphonics in comparison?

Can i wrap the cord in insulation tape or sellotape to stop microphonics?

Le sigh.  And I was just told that I should stop advertising the the white IEMs and its benefits...

Actually, there is one single comparison that has been done of the microphonics between the white 9963 IEMs and the black 9927 IEMs - that comparison wase done by myself because nobody else would do it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-new-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club/3855#post_9879825

(tl;dr - the white 9963 IEMs are better or equal to the black 9927 IEMs in every way)

I had hoped that my "review" would spur interest in the white IEMs and then cause other comparisons and reviews of the white 9963 IEMs to be made, but that never happened...

wouldn't recommend dipping in rubber

He's asking about the rubberized cable that the white 9963 IEMs have, not asking about dipping his fabric cable in rubber.

EDIT: Lolwut, I'm subscribed for daily updates; why the crap wasn't I sent an email about the last 7 posts until now?  The first of those 7 posts was made over 2 days ago, and there's nothing in my spam filters...

I'll switch my notification to "immediate" for now, since that seemed to work without issue the last time I tried it.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #4,113 of 4,317

Le sigh.  And I was just told that I should stop advertising the the white IEMs and its benefits...

Actually, there is one single comparison that has been done of the microphonics between the white 9963 IEMs and the black 9927 IEMs - that comparison wase done by myself because nobody else would do it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-new-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club/3855#post_9879825

(tl;dr - the white 9963 IEMs are better or equal to the black 9927 IEMs in every way)

I had hoped that my "review" would spur interest in the white IEMs and then cause other comparisons and reviews of the white 9963 IEMs to be made, but that never happened...

He's asking about the rubberized cable that the white 9963 IEMs have, not asking about dipping his fabric cable in rubber.

EDIT: Lolwut, I'm subscribed for daily updates; why the crap wasn't I sent an email about the last 7 posts until now?  The first of those 7 posts was made over 2 days ago, and there's nothing in my spam filters...

I'll switch my notification to "immediate" for now, since that seemed to work without issue the last time I tried it.

Thanks for your replies, sadly too late for me, but I took a risk with them being only £3.50, I assumed all of the models were the exact same and only the colour was different.

Apparently wearing them over ear which I have never done with any IEM will reduce or get rid of the microphonics, that shall be the next thing I try out.

I was actually talking about dipping them in rubber, there are 2 products here called plasti dip and rubber dip which basically will coat the cable in a thin layer of plastic or rubber. They are expensive though in comparison to the IEM's. I will try over ear and if that don't work, I cannot find a seller over here in the UK for the over ear guide some helpful person posted a few posts back so I shall just give these away to someone looking for IEM's.

I may even try wrapping the cord in black insulation tape or in clear sellotape.

I'm not good at DIY otherwise I would of tried re-cabling them, I know for a fact i will end up killing them and would rather not do that.

Thanks for your help but the OP should be updated with microphonics issues and that the white model are much better.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4,114 of 4,317
Thanks for your replies, sadly too late for me, but I took a risk with them being only £3.50, I assumed all of the models were the exact same and only the colour was different.

Apparently wearing them over ear which I have never done with any IEM will reduce or get rid of the microphonics, that shall be the next thing I try out.

I was actually talking about dipping them in rubber, there are 2 products here called plasti dip and rubber dip which basically will coat the cable in a thin layer of plastic or rubber. They are expensive though in comparison to the IEM's. I will try over ear and if that don't work, I cannot find a seller over here in the UK for the over ear guide some helpful person posted a few posts back so I shall just give these away to someone looking for IEM's.

I may even try wrapping the cord in black insulation tape or in clear sellotape.

I'm not good at DIY otherwise I would of tried re-cabling them, I know for a fact i will end up killing them and would rather not do that.

Thanks for your help but the OP should be updated with microphonics issues and that the white model are much better.

Wearing them over ear solves most of rhe microphonics problem. These must be worn over ear because of its design

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #4,115 of 4,317

Hmm, it would seem that, in the product descriptions on Monoprice, there is no mention of the fabric cord on the black 9927 IEMs.  However the fabric cord is indeed mentioned in the description of the silver 8320 IEMs

If you bought from Monoprice directly you may be able to contact them and let them know that it wasn't clear that there was a difference between the black 9927 IEMs and the white 9963 IEMs other than color.  Their customer support is widely regarded as being great, and I can attest to that myself (I'm actually on my second pair of 9963 IEMs, the first set had weaker bass in the right speaker and they sent me a new pair for free without me even having to send back the old pair).

However considering you're using British pounds I would imagine that you didn't buy directly from Monoprice, otherwise I figure your shipping cost would probably be more than the product itself.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #4,116 of 4,317
EDIT: DANG IT this was supposed to be an edit, not a double-post.  OY VEY. >_<

Quote:
Wearing them over ear solves most of rhe microphonics problem. These must be worn over ear because of its design

I find that when worn over the ear, the fabric cord of my (no longer used) black 9927 IEMs would actually hurt the upper-frontal cartilidge of my outer ear due to the cord not being smooth.

By comparison the rubberized cord of the white 9963 IEMs doesn't hurt at all because, well, it's smooth!

(and of course I don't even feel the need to wear my white 9963 IEMs over-the-ear due to the considerably reduced microphonics)

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #4,118 of 4,317
Anyone else tried the vmoda bliss 3.0 fittings tips on the 8320's?

http://v-moda.com/bliss-3-0-fittings/

I've been loving these tips on various iems since I got them, and I thought they might do wonders to with the 8320's. They do. Bass is present. Highs are tamed. Huge soundstage and detailed sound is preserved. Pretty friggin impressive for $8 iems I must say.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #4,119 of 4,317
Anyone else tried the vmoda bliss 3.0 fittings tips on the 8320's?

http://v-moda.com/bliss-3-0-fittings/

I've been loving these tips on various iems since I got them, and I thought they might do wonders to with the 8320's. They do. Bass is present. Highs are tamed. Huge soundstage and detailed sound is preserved. Pretty friggin impressive for $8 iems I must say.

Was going to give them a try, but all out of medium?

How's the sizing. I'm between a small and medium so I usually do medium for the seal. If they run larger, I'll pick up the smalls.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #4,120 of 4,317
Uhh, here's something weird I just discovered.  I've been experiencing it for a while now but it's only until now that I can pin-point what exactly is happening.

Is it normal to feel bass differently between the left and right ears?  Not the IEM earpieces, but my human ears (reversing the ear pieces doesn't make the effect switch ears).  I don't seem to hear bass differently between the two ears, just feel it differently.  In my left ear it's more centralized and in the ear itself, while the right ear it's more dispersed and almost more in the back of the right side of the forehead.

Perhaps it's related to the fact that my ears, particularly the area around my outer ear canals, are somewhat unsymmetrical? (the non-symmetry is to the point that I'll usually use two different kinds of tips in my ears, though I didn't when testing the issue in question)  That would also explain why I didn't notice this left-right ear bass discrepancy when I used my sister's over-the-ear cans...

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,121 of 4,317
The sizing is normal. But they are very comfy, so i would recommemd getting the mediums for you (they would provide a good seal but also be comfy). That's my experience with the large clear tips.

I'm actually being somewhat blown away at the moment actually. Do the newer 8320's with rubber coating sound as good?

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #4,122 of 4,317
I'm actually being somewhat blown away at the moment actually. Do the newer 8320's with rubber coating sound as good?

They arguably sound "better" because of reduced microphonics. 
tongue.gif
  But musically I did not hear any difference between my white 9963 IEMs with a rubber cord and my black 9927 IEMs with a fabric cord (both IEMs have about 2 months of use).

EDIT: Doing a comparison right now I think my black 9927 IEMs are a bit more "v-shaped" than my white 9963 IEMs - the bass seems a bit stronger and the highs seem to have a bit more sparkle.  However, considering how inexpensive these IEMs are I wouldn't be surprised if this little difference is just a case of variations within the manufacturing.

EDIT 2: Yeah, my white 9963 IEMs actually seem to be more neutral-sounding, the midrange in particular seems to come through more clearly.   Perhaps I've used my white 9963 IEMs more frequently and therefore they have been "burned in" more due to said more frequent use?  I say this because, in an un-burned-in state, the bass and treble on the Monoprice IEMs are known to be a bit too much, and will settle down after being burned in.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #4,123 of 4,317
Hey folks!

Just want to let you know that the monoprice 9927's are surprisingly a lot like the Paradox Slants in overall sound quality...especially when they are fully tweaked.   I would say they are about 75% there.  This is mainly overall tonality and neutrality and surprisingly soundstaging as well.  None of the other buds I have tried are that close.  Having said that it's hard to go back to in ears after listening to the slants.  Pricey yes but oh my gosh.   They don't sound like sealed cans. Staging is huge, bass is massive when in the recording, detail and resolution like planar and electrostatic loudspeakers, tonlity like the best horns on triodes.    Honestly they are like wearing very very good loudspeakers.   Had to do it.  Spent my half of the tax return on them.  Worth every penny and Luis is awesome.   Look like a very well finished t50rp...sound like something else.....hehehehahaha!   After hearing these I'm bout ready to throw every bud in the trash except for the 9927's.   Just letting those of you wondering bout them. 9927's can be amazing.    Last buds I will ever own, unless monoprice comes up with an enhanced version,  now that would be something.

And my favorite color Nintendo is purple, metalic.   I wish they would do some in that color. %-)_,!!!!!!

Muhaha!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #4,124 of 4,317

They arguably sound "better" because of reduced microphonics. 
tongue.gif
  But musically I did not hear any difference between my white 9963 IEMs with a rubber cord and my black 9927 IEMs with a fabric cord (both IEMs have about 2 months of use).

EDIT: Doing a comparison right now I think my black 9927 IEMs are a bit more "v-shaped" than my white 9963 IEMs - the bass seems a bit stronger and the highs seem to have a bit more sparkle.  However, considering how inexpensive these IEMs are I wouldn't be surprised if this little difference is just a case of variations within the manufacturing.

EDIT 2: Yeah, my white 9963 IEMs actually seem to be more neutral-sounding, the midrange in particular seems to come through more clearly.   Perhaps I've used my white 9963 IEMs more frequently and therefore they have been "burned in" more due to said more frequent use?  I say this because, in an un-burned-in state, the bass and treble on the Monoprice IEMs are known to be a bit too much, and will settle down after being burned in.

I heard every single ear bud I tried shift the sound stage to my left for about a month and half.  I tried shims to try to very the depth of insertion to compensate...did slightly but not enough.  Used to drive me nuts and then after not listening for a week it simply went away.  I was doing ear drop and cotton tips and all kinds of things.  My right ear does build up a bit more  wax than my left.

But nothing helped and I was freaking out.  Initially I thought it was screwed up doping of one driver vs another on when I first heard it.  Was testing a pair of my tweaked 9927's that were done
for my son.  But it did the same on eveything i tried.  What was weird is I would hold the earbuds equidistant about a foot in front of me and they sounded equally loud on both sides with the
vocals dead centered.  Very weird.    I have lost the upper few k of my hearing.  At 23 i could hear clearly out to 20k.  I might be lucky to get 13 or 14k now.   No biggie.

So yeah ear problems suck, really suck.  

You could go see an audiologist and have him check for you!

Good Luck and,

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #4,125 of 4,317
  Hey folks!

Just want to let you know that the monoprice 9927's are surprisingly a lot like the Paradox Slants in overall sound quality...especially when they are fully tweaked.   I would say they are about 75% there.  This is mainly overall tonality and neutrality and surprisingly soundstaging as well.  None of the other buds I have tried are that close.  Having said that it's hard to go back to in ears after listening to the slants.  Pricey yes but oh my gosh.   They don't sound like sealed cans. Staging is huge, bass is massive when in the recording, detail and resolution like planar and electrostatic loudspeakers, tonlity like the best horns on triodes.    Honestly they are like wearing very very good loudspeakers.   Had to do it.  Spent my half of the tax return on them.  Worth every penny and Luis is awesome.   Look like a very well finished t50rp...sound like something else.....hehehehahaha!   After hearing these I'm bout ready to throw every bud in the trash except for the 9927's.   Just letting those of you wondering bout them. 9927's can be amazing.    Last buds I will ever own, unless monoprice comes up with an enhanced version,  now that would be something.

And my favorite color Nintendo is purple, metalic.   I wish they would do some in that color. %-)_,!!!!!!

Muhaha!

Happy Listening,

jgwtri

Uhh, here's something weird I just discovered.  I've been experiencing it for a while now but it's only until now that I can pin-point what exactly is happening.

Is it normal to feel bass differently between the left and right ears?  Not the IEM earpieces, but my human ears (reversing the ear pieces doesn't make the effect switch ears).  I don't seem to hear bass differently between the two ears, just feel it differently.  In my left ear it's more centralized and in the ear itself, while the right ear it's more dispersed and almost more in the back of the right side of the forehead.

Perhaps it's related to the fact that my ears, particularly the area around my outer ear canals, are somewhat unsymmetrical? (the non-symmetry is to the point that I'll usually use two different kinds of tips in my ears, though I didn't when testing the issue in question)  That would also explain why I didn't notice this left-right ear bass discrepancy when I used my sister's over-the-ear cans...

Meant to comment on this post!.....oooppppsss!     Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back