The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Dec 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #766 of 4,317

Quote:

They sound very similiar to the Grado SR325, I will write about them in more detail later.

Never heard those Grado's. Care to elaborate on what the sonic signature is like before I pull the trigger?

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #767 of 4,317

Well I'm listening to them now, okay they don't sound amazing or anything, actually they are pretty hazy and there is a 'cheapness' to the sound, damnit... but underneath the haze the have really good sound quality and they're very involving / unique sounding with ROCK music.

These are the opposite of 'crystal clarity', but yeah, there's just something special about the sound, it sounds like a really bad car radio, or like a guitar amplifier in a garage, they are just so cool, way better than all the other junk I've heard under $50.

These are my new 'garagerock' headphone recommendation, and the JVC FXC51 for goa trance.

I'm giving two away for christmas presents.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #768 of 4,317
Quote:
I went to an electronics outlet and listened to 46 headphones they had on display, my favorite was the Skullcandy Uprock ...

Quote:
These are the opposite of 'crystal clarity', but yeah, there's just something special about the sound, it sounds like a really bad car radio, or like a guitar amplifier in a garage, ...

Wait, lemme guess, the other 45 were .... Skullcandies?
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #769 of 4,317
Well guys, I can confirm that these Monoprice earphones that I just got in the mail are absolutely worth 899 pennies (including shipping).

I haven't read all 52 pages of this thread, but here are my findings after 5 minutes:

--Easily the sound for your buck that you're going to find. 
--These are the 2nd best sub $100 IEMs that I have heard.  The Hifiman RE0 are the best, but they are $79.  These are $7.9, or 10 x cheaper.
--The Sony earbuds that I'm used to like the EX500 are worse than the Monoprice ones.  I find Sonys to be muddy and kind of veiled and recessed but not these. The vocals are clear.
--The RE0s gave me a ohmygosh moment.  These Monoprice IEMs gave me no such moment. They were a pleasant surprise.  With the RE0s I felt they were among the best IEMs that I have ever heard regardless of price (build quality ruined the REO for me though)
--They do not have any weaknesses, nor any real strengths.
--Bass is not as tight as the RE0.
--I never understood the appeal of the Klipsch S4 sub $100 IEMs. I found them to be unclear, muddy, etc etc, but comfortable fitting. The Monoprices are better than the S4.
--These are big and fit in the ear--fully.  But I could never fit a Triplefi 10 in my ear.  I'm mildly concerned about long-term comfort.
--Construction is cheapish. But not worse than your $7 IEMs, in fact, better more likely. Cord is cheap, design is extremely ugly.

Conclusion: I can not see anyone returning these for any reason, period.  These will be great throwaway IEMs. I will not sweat it at all if I have to replace them 2 times a year. Debating whether to buy up a few extra pairs since they will undoubtedly be going up in price (my guess) based on the demand.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #770 of 4,317
Dec 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #771 of 4,317
Hey thanks for your initial impressions. I like how you put it that they have no weakness. I feel the same way. I would recommend you give them a nice burn and some time to adjust to your set up.. Keep listening to them and they do have a tendency to get better with more use.. Lets see how they turn out for you after about a weeks worth of time.. Try everything I mentioned.. Perhaps different tips if fit isn't an issue no need I suppose.  Try eqing a bit and and amp on them as well. Throw us an update.. Welcome to the $7.11 club.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #772 of 4,317
Just got two more pairs that I ordered post-restock.  This time they didn't come in the nice(-ish) retail box packaging, but in OEM clear plastic baggies.  I suspect they did this to expedite the order.  Doesn't bother me, but those thinking of these as cheap stocking-stuffers should be aware that they'll have to get creative with the wrapping.

Vaguely amusing:  the largest text on the adhesive label -- larger than the model; larger than the brand; larger than anything -- is the line, "Made in China".  As if we had any doubts whatsoever....

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #773 of 4,317
What's a good tip pack I can pick up? Everyone seems to like the Monster gels? I need to try something else and see if I can get the MEP-993 more comfy. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #774 of 4,317

Quote:
oooooh, why so? Me like myself some goa. 

Well I can tell you the FXC51s are a technical marvel. The detailing on these are something special and does trance well too. Another great budget IEM. They do need a big burn but I like the Micro HD drivers they use in them...These have the most sparkle in any earphone I have heard. In a good way.. Trance sound lovely on them too. $25 and completely worthy.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #775 of 4,317
Quote:
Wait, lemme guess, the other 45 were .... Skullcandies?
biggrin.gif

Pretty much all cheap plasticky headphones from Skullcandy, Monster, Sony, Kicker, Sennheiser, etc, and yes I thought these sounded better than the other Skullcandies, apart from the Aviator, however vocals are much better on the Uprock.

I am not crazy James, sure they sound bad, but very very good-bad, I took the earpads off and they do indeed have dual drivers, you know... a la Radius, FXT-90, hmmm can't think of anything else?!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
oooooh, why so? Me like myself some goa. 

Here I wrote my initial impressions of the JVC FXC51 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-latest-memoir-new-open-air-shure-srh1440-shure-srh1840-post-1046/315#post_7824412

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #776 of 4,317

Quote:
What's a good tip pack I can pick up? Everyone seems to like the Monster gels? I need to try something else and see if I can get the MEP-993 more comfy. 

I've settled on the comply foams that came with my tf10. I use them reversed, the top part of the tip goes on the nozzle. That way I get the seal of foamies without messing with the sound. And boy has the bass come out. I also taped over the vent. I use these on the loudness eq on my iphone.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #777 of 4,317

Quote:

I think the key to better comfort on these, well at least for me was making sure the tips stay on the tips and not on the shank. I am using the Monster foam tips. They stay on the tip and don't slide any further.. I think the main reason why I didn't like the stock tips is because not only are they flimsy not sealing right for me but they sat more on the shank part of the stem forcing you to stuff your ear with them which ended up not being too comfy. .

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #778 of 4,317
Gah, these need to get back in stock quickly. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #780 of 4,317

Quote:

Precisely, they only cost $17 on amazon including shipping (for americans), which is why I posted in this thread.

They sound very similiar to the Grado SR325, I will write about them in more detail later.

One interesting thing i should note, is it says "TWIN 40MM DRIVERS" on the box, which could possibly explain why I liked them better than all the other 40 or so cheap headphones I heard.

Am I crazy for liking a Skullcandy? Yes I am, but they have made the most profit in headphones second only to Sony, and put something like $1,000,000 into labs and R&D, so you'd think they should make at least one good sounding headphone sooner or later right? (not the Aviator).

Like, even the same level of detail and everything? Controversial claim bro.

I haven't heard the 325is by the way, I'm seriously asking.
tongue_smile.gif

And nah, you're not crazy. if they sound good to you, brand names be damned, even if they are almost universally reviled here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back