The Modern Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread.
Jan 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #181 of 203

Quote:
Dont know if anyone has mentioned the band - CAN
try to get a hold of These Albums from this Krautrock Progressive band.....Tago Mago... Ege Bamyasi....... Future Days....&  Soon Over Babaluma. Great Band Great Albums.

I do remember seeing the original Can line-up live in a small club downtown LA about 12 years ago, they don't get to the States that much. I don't know if they play live anymore but it was great. The guitar player had a couple of effects pedals and a Cry Baby Wah pedal which he used to a perfect art. I only have a double vinyl greatest hits record from them. I have the Neu CDs. Some of it sounds old some never does.

Really there is nothing wrong with bringing up old prog in this thread. Why would it open a can of worms? I still play old Faust, and Zappa older Kraut-rock, if it still sounds fresh. All the musicians who play modern progressive rock listen to old prog, so I don't see why it would be bad to bring up old releases that are an influence.  

Zappa seems to still sound fantastic. Maybe Zappa will end up being timeless. That would be cool. I can't play 200 Motels anymore. Zoot Allures is great though. Apostrophe is fantastic.  

We were 13 year old pot smoking kids when this came out. This was the album that all the older brothers played and it garnished a ton of respect.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #183 of 203
Yes, this thread is for the prog rock that is being wrtten and on the go now with bands whose members are not old age pensioners!

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #185 of 203

Quote:

Umphrey's is a really interesting band.  Kind of Progressive Rock with a jam band ethos.  I have a buddy at work who is an old-time prog fan (early Genesis, Tull, ELP etc.), I let him borrow my copy of "Mantis" when it came out and he was hooked big time.  I agree that they are a better live band than studio band although Mantis is an *excellent* CD, it's pretty much permanently on my iPod.  Their original material is really good with lengthy compositions and shifting time signatures and such, and they use those to then launch into extended improvisational stretches.  They also have a knack for throwing in some interesting covers; King Crimson's "Red" and "Thela Hun Ginjeet with Belew sitting in, Pink Floyd's "Shine on..." (I especially like the one from  2/20/04 with Joshua Redman on sax for the whole 2nd set), a chunk of "Abbey Road" (from Mean Mr. Mustard through Carry That Weight), even Pat Metheny's "Last Train Home" to name a few.

They have over 100 podcasts up on their site, most with well over an hour each of excerpts from live shows, so it's easy to check the band out without putting out any cash - both the Red/Thela Hun Ginjeet (#51) and Last Train Home (#40) I mentioned are in podcasts, and another "Shine on..." with Joshua Redman sitting in is on #37.  They also allow taping of their shows so there is a ton of full live shows available on the Live Music Archive.  Many of the shows from early 2004 and prior are up there in sweet sbd/aud matrix mixes too.  They moved to selling those matrix mixes after that.

Sorry, had to quote that in full because every time someone around here mentions Umph I have to give it a massive "Hell yeah!" and hope that someone goes and buys some.

This thread was exactly what I was looking for today because I've got De-loused in the Comatorium playing (I've had it on my hard drive for nearly two years and I swear I've never got around to listening to it properly) and I'm ready for more along those lines.

(Speaking of which, no mention of Coheed and Cambria? How come?)

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #186 of 203

Quote:

(Speaking of which, no mention of Coheed and Cambria? How come?)

I like Coheed and Cambria and own all of their albums.  Really dug their sound after hearing a couple of tracks from Good Apollo Vol I get airplay on the radio here back when it was released.  The subject matter and Claudio's vocals may not be for everyone, but they do rock.  There's been a bit of upheaval with their band line up the past year but hopefully it doesn't affect their sound too much. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #187 of 203
I've found a lot of great and interesting new music from this thread so wanted to make my first contribution:

Influences and styles are quite varied from very Rush inspired guitar/drums/bass, to a bluesy sax infused number and a cover of Bowie.

Oh, and I know this isn't news to the world, but putting my plug in for MOG as the absolute best way to explore new music. Some bands are not to be found, but most of what I look for I find.

Enjoy.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #188 of 203
I'm back to recommend two albums, both released this year.

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet: Weird ass "heavy prog" saturated with sound effects and distortions, but I like it

Gazpacho - March of Ghosts: Gazpacho released a few weeks ago this new album. I really enjoy this one.

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #189 of 203

Quote:
I'm back to recommend two albums, both released this year.

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet: Weird ass "heavy prog" saturated with sound effects and distortions, but I like it

Gazpacho - March of Ghosts: Gazpacho released a few weeks ago this new album. I really enjoy this one.

Noctourniquet rocks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #193 of 203
Before subscribing to this thread, I like Porcupine Tree, Tool, Radiohead, Coldplay, Keane and Travis (sorry I guess some on this list are not really Prog Rock). Call me standard typical in terms of music preference. More suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Edit:
I have finished reading this thread and found the following bands that i like: Transatlantic, A Perfect Circle, Marillion and Dream Threater.
Somehow I am not too into Opeth and Symphony X. I guess I personally do not like too much Metal element (especially dark-sounding vocals) in Prog Rock.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #194 of 203
Holy ****, what a masterpiece! It's like listening to Grace for Drowning for the first time... I hope I listen to new shocking albums like this every year! Some might say it is not modern. The thing is, it's modern based on the 70's psychedelic prog rock aka Pink Floyd and stuff but it is modern. 

Astra - The Black Chord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back