The Modern Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread.
Jan 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #166 of 203

Quote:
Quote:
so i guess you guys aren't big zappa fans? 
tongue.gif

Zappa made lot's of music. I personally hate his comedy stuff, but some of his other experimental works are absolutely genius.

Do you have any album suggestions for some of his more serious work?  One of my buddies played me a few tracks from Sheik Yerbouti, and I have to say I really didn't enjoy them lol.  I know that as a fan of progressive music I should have nothing but love for the guy, but I just don't dig the goofy comedy stuff - at least not for repeated listens. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #167 of 203
Do you have any album suggestions for some of his more serious work?  One of my buddies played me a few tracks from Sheik Yerbouti, and I have to say I really didn't enjoy them lol.  I know that as a fan of progressive music I should have nothing but love for the guy, but I just don't dig the goofy comedy stuff - at least not for repeated listens. 

Hot Rats.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #169 of 203
oh!  although not everyone's cup of tea, i really dig 'Jazz From Hell'.  iirc Frank recorded this himself using only (or mostly?) a synclavier.  very interesting stuff indeed.  ymmv though...

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #172 of 203
Dont know if anyone has mentioned the band - CAN
try to get a hold of These Albums from this Krautrock Progressive band.....Tago Mago... Ege Bamyasi....... Future Days....&  Soon Over Babaluma. Great Band Great Albums.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #173 of 203
I want to make a complaint about this thread!

You're costing me a small fortune in new music 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, thanks guys, there have been some great suggestions and I have only investigated as far as page 4 so far.

Looking forward to discovering the rest of the suggestions.

ksc75smile.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #174 of 203
try to get a hold of These Albums from this Krautrock Progressive band.....Tago Mago... Ege Bamyasi....... Future Days....&  Soon Over Babaluma. Great Band Great Albums.

They're not exactly modern. I find them closer to mundane than Brian Eno (to be fair I love Eno). Be sure to check out NEU!. There's some more krautrock for you. They have a former member of Kraftwerk, from what I remember. Porcupine tree also pseudo-covered Hallo Gallo by them and it became PT's Signify.

Going back to the 70s for prog opens up a can of awesome worms though.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #175 of 203

They're not exactly modern. I find them closer to mundane than Brian Eno (to be fair I love Eno). Be sure to check out NEU!. There's some more krautrock for you. They have a former member of Kraftwerk, from what I remember. Porcupine tree also pseudo-covered Hallo Gallo by them and it became PT's Signify.

Going back to the 70s for prog opens up a can of awesome worms though.

Imo the 70's stuff is far better than the modern stuff. To be honest, I'd actually call it a different genre as I have never heard any modern stuff that even remotely resembles the style of my favorite 70's artists. (Camel, ELP, Focus, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Yes)

If there is modern stuff similar to that, then please tell me. I'd love to hear it.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #176 of 203

Quote:
Imo the 70's stuff is far better than the modern stuff. To be honest, I'd actually call it a different genre as I have never heard any modern stuff that even remotely resembles the style of my favorite 70's artists. (Camel, ELP, Focus, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Yes)
If there is modern stuff similar to that, then please tell me. I'd love to hear it.

You want this thread then

http://www.head-fi.org/t/462606/the-nordic-prog-rock-appreciation-thread

as the Nordic music scene is full of bands who have been heavily influenced by English traditional prog rock. Start off with the likes of The Flower Kings (Yes), Anekdoten (King Crimson 1970s) and Wobbler (Genesis).

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #177 of 203

Quote:

Big Big Train is firmly in the 70s Genesis mold, Underfall Yard is a great CD so you might check that one out and if you like it move on from there.  Sky Architect from Rotterdam is clearly influenced by 70s prog, the title track from their excellent 2010 debut Excavations of the Mind has moments that strike me as very Camel-like, and the guitarist practically channels Andy Latimer with some of his guitar work on that song.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #178 of 203
Top recommendation, thanks eric

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #179 of 203

Your favourites are close to mine. I don't find many other Gentle Giant or Camel fans.
I think it is better than the modern stuff overall too.

I doubt you'll find much, if anything, akin to 70s rock that has been made recently. Most keep the sentiment that progressive means constantly changing and staying relevant.
Yes, Uriah Heep and a few other still making music that sounds nothing like they where once (maybe not so much with uriah heep).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back