The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #2,086 of 2,143
e.g.: Flex Precision Regulator KIT +5V Ultra Low Noise Fast - eBay, Other, Amplifiers, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 06-jun-09 14:11:09 CEST) ?
Or better?

Flex Precision Regulator KIT +5V Ultra Low Noise Fast (DIY KIT)

• Multi-Stage Design – 3 STEPS regulator structure
• +5V Output (Setup by fix value resistors to enhance the long-term reliablility)
• Ultra Low Noise & Output Impedance
• Output Currnt MAX. 1000mA
• Hi-End audio grade components - TI Burr-Brown / RIFA / SANYO OS-CON / NICHICON MUSE / VISHAY-DALE
• Easy to install and flexible application
• Extremely Wide Frequency Response

The circuit diagram of Flex Precision Regulator KIT ( http://www.diyzone.net/images2/5VSCH0621.pdf )

Who can give advice for the best solution for clean 5V for the Zhaolu DAC board?

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #2,087 of 2,143
How to find out if the DAC board really has two 5V feeds? Simply measure DC resistance between both 5V feeds?
Also: how to decouple two feeds if the DAC board really needs two 5V feeds?

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #2,089 of 2,143
Isn't the sigma22 a bit overkill?
Also I'd like it to be fully built. I could bear two of the ebay boards (they do 1A each...).

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #2,090 of 2,143
yes its may its said to be an upgrade to the tread. I think only one sigma22 is required, though its going to cost $100.
The existing R toroidal give off 18v according to the sticker. I believe there are two 18v lines. To confirm im thinking of measuring by placing one probe on the case for ground and sticking the other into the pins. I think that should work.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #2,091 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by udo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the sigma22 a bit overkill?
Also I'd like it to be fully built. I could bear two of the ebay boards (they do 1A each...).

Overkill is the name of the game
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes its may its said to be an upgrade to the tread. I think only one sigma22 is required, though its going to cost $100.
The existing R toroidal give off 18v according to the sticker. I believe there are two 18v lines. To confirm im thinking of measuring by placing one probe on the case for ground and sticking the other into the pins. I think that should work.

If you need two +5V supplies, you would need to use two (2) sigma11s. The sigma22 will output +/-5V but not two +5V outputs.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #2,092 of 2,143
eh, $200 bucks not sure if its worth it. Im also looking at the Tangent Young-Jung power supply but they are also $100 a board and 5v havent been tested.

However, I found one mod that is worth it. I added a pulse transformer on the input of the coax for $4 it had made some impact. I also switched the jamicon caps on the zapfilter power board to Nichion Muse 1k 50v caps. This seemed to increase bass response maybe little too much maybe with time they may settle down. I also got some 10k Nichion KZ caps but they are much bigger then I thought and not sure if I want to try them. Ill probably add pulse transformer on the transport coax side.
Mouser: 673-PE-65612

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #2,094 of 2,143
I picked up a used 2.5A (I think) yesterday. The DAC board still has the AD1852 but the PS has the AD-08 and the output stage has the LT-1057s. So I am a bit confused as to if it is indeed a 2.5A or a 2.5C without the CS4398 upgraded board. Anyway, after reading 100+ pages I did the 4 cap block and removed the headphone amp from the signal chain as well. I am very impressed with the way this DAC sounds before and after the mod. I do have a few questions about opamps though. I read people are rolling 3 opamps, is that including the 2 in the output and the one in the power supply board? I see the list is quite long as to what people are rolling as far as opamps go. Is there a definitive list for the ps and output stage to try and roll? I am trying to get ahold of the CS4398 board to swap out with the AD1852. How much of a difference will that make?
Other than some opamp rolling I think I will replace the stock rca's and coax input as well. Perhaps a Zapfilter if I can muster up the soldering skills and some coaxing from Ori and others.
wink_face.gif
Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Dan

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #2,095 of 2,143
How are you progressing with the zapfilter?

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #2,097 of 2,143
Order from the source, then? Or ask them for a dealer locally?

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #2,098 of 2,143
Yeah I have been trying to track down a zapfilter as well and have no luck.

I have been told its out of production and no longer being manufactured.

Emailed LC Audio directly and haven't got a response.

Please let me know if you find someone who still has stock.

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #2,099 of 2,143
Yes, zapfilter does seem to be NLA. The former designer of the Zapfilter Mk2, Lars Clausen, has started a new company (NewClassD). He designed another linestage - "GOLD"
NewClassD GOLD

I have this hooked up to a heavily modified Zhaolu DAC 2.5A board, and the sound is even better than Zapfilter, which i had previously there. The sound is very musical and detailed without being harsh at all. This is audio heaven!

I can definitely recommend this product for all seeking the best sound out of Zhaolu, even if it seems a bit expensive to use.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #2,100 of 2,143
Interesting!
Did anyone here A/B between Zapfilter and Gold?
What about the 780x/7980x used in the Gold?
In other words: what is the technical explanation for the improvements heard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back