The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Mar 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #301 of 1,080
I gotta give it to Ronda. She talked some trash before the fight (so did Tate) and Ronda backed it up. Furthermore, I'm not feeling sorry for someone in an armbar who doesn't tap. I've always liked Tate, however, when she decides not to tap despite being in an obvious submission, she's bound to break her arm. As for the "headbutting" in the weigh-ins - that's just childish and straight up BS from Tate.

Jacaré was a genious as usual. I'm kind of hoping for him to go to UFC - he'd get far. He'd get a lot of fans with his style of fighting. Misaki impressed me as well..

Wow, I've not seen so many womens MMA fights, only at two-three events before this one. I've always been at least as excited by the fights as with many top men that bring it. Female MMA fighters are just .. animals. Anybody remember this?

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #302 of 1,080

Quote:
I gotta give it to Ronda. She talked some trash before the fight (so did Tate) and Ronda backed it up. Furthermore, I'm not feeling sorry for someone in an armbar who doesn't tap. I've always liked Tate, however, when she decides not to tap despite being in an obvious submission, she's bound to break her arm. As for the "headbutting" in the weigh-ins - that's just childish and straight up BS from Tate.

Jacaré was a genious as usual. I'm kind of hoping for him to go to UFC - he'd get far. He'd get a lot of fans with his style of fighting. Misaki impressed me as well..

Wow, I've not seen so many womens MMA fights, only at two-three events before this one. I've always been at least as excited by the fights as with many top men that bring it. Female MMA fighters are just .. animals. Anybody remember this?

Wow, why didn't they have mouth guards?  That is just brutal...

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #303 of 1,080
There was just something really cute about Sarah Kaufman's busted-face smiling during the Tate/Rousey bout.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #304 of 1,080

Quote:
Pretty good event. I was very happy about Kampmanns fight.

He really pulled off that submission nicely. Alves served it to him on a silver platter though, but I can only see that as a trait of a true top fighter: to be able to capitalize on a mistake that much.
A little bummed about the Bonavidez fight

I can't stand team alpha male, to be honest. :frowning2:
Perosh - Penner was a good fight too.

Kampmann deserved that win. I started watching with the impression Alves was going to get it but damn that was a beautiful submission. 

That aside, Johnson vs McCall was a great one too. I wasn't expecting too much there but that was an exciting fight. Can't wait for that rematch. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #305 of 1,080
Ow.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #308 of 1,080
Good lord that was brutal, and yes definately hot haha.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #309 of 1,080

Quote:

Kampmann deserved that win. I started watching with the impression Alves was going to get it but damn that was a beautiful submission. 

Yeah, that submission was really something.

As for womens MMA, what did you guys think of Kaufman vs Alexis? That was also a brutal, action packed and fun fight to watch.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #310 of 1,080
That was a good fight too, I really like that the women keep up a good pace through the whole fight.  I'd like to see more women's fights, with good one's like this it shouldn't be a problem getting popular.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #312 of 1,080
Sounds like a good fight.  Can't wait til GSP comes back from the injury.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #313 of 1,080

Quote:
That was a good fight too, I really like that the women keep up a good pace through the whole fight.  I'd like to see more women's fights, with good one's like this it shouldn't be a problem getting popular.

I agree. I think I read somewhere yesterday that they've got an all women organisation going right now. I can't remember the name, but I sure as hell will follow it if it gets uploaded "somewhere secret" *wink wink*.

I don't know, the womens fights that I have seen have shown that womens MMA is spectacular to watch, because they always bring it, kind of like the lighter weight classes in WEC/UFC. Makes for awesome matchups and so on. The biggest detractors of womens MMA will always have the argument that the talent pool isn't deep enough. I'd just want to add 'yet' because, with fights like Ronda vs Tate or Kaufman vs Alexis, it will soon become a lot bigger.

Quote:
Just saw the Tate-Ronda fight.......ouch!

on another subject, Mir is fighting Cain for the number 1 contender in the heavyweight. I think this will be a fun fight.

Fun fight yes, but I think we should go back to the "you lose the belt? fight a few fights first before you become a contender again.." system. Not saying Cain isn't worthy of a title shot, it's just that with all the rematches involving title fights, the divisions are becoming a little stale. LW - 3 title rematches the last 6 fights. At least Cain gets one contender fight first, and JDS get to defend it at least one time, but this would theoretically open up the option of seeing a Cain - JDS rematch in 2012. I'd like to see some other fighters fight for contender spots and so on.. Werdum for instance. I also think all these speedruns to title shots and rematches sends fighters all the bad signals: popularity before skill, and so on.

On another note: Have you seen the card for UFC 146 yet? It's ridiculously stacked..:

* Champ Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (for heavyweight title)
* Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez
* Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
* Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
* Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig
* Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
* C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller
* Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
* Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
* Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

I just hope noone gets injured..

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #314 of 1,080

Quote:

Fun fight yes, but I think we should go back to the "you lose the belt? fight a few fights first before you become a contender again.." system. Not saying Cain isn't worthy of a title shot, it's just that with all the rematches involving title fights, the divisions are becoming a little stale. LW - 3 title rematches the last 6 fights. At least Cain gets one contender fight first, and JDS get to defend it at least one time, but this would theoretically open up the option of seeing a Cain - JDS rematch in 2012. I'd like to see some other fighters fight for contender spots and so on.. Werdum for instance. I also think all these speedruns to title shots and rematches sends fighters all the bad signals: popularity before skill, and so on.

I 100% agree that fighters should work their way up, especially the way Cain lost....I'm mexican, and I root for him, but it is not fair to Mir or Werdum. I think the matchup should have been Cain vs Bigfoot and Mir vs Werdum for no 1 contender. I have to point out that I still don't see a lot of depth in the heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions.

Cornier and Barnett need to be in the ufc asap, and Roy should go down to 205
tongue.gif
....I lost 40 pounds last year with no excercise, I bet he could do it too...

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #315 of 1,080

Quote:
I 100% agree that fighters should work their way up, especially the way Cain lost....I'm mexican, and I root for him, but it is not fair to Mir or Werdum. I think the matchup should have been Cain vs Bigfoot and Mir vs Werdum for no 1 contender. I have to point out that I still don't see a lot of depth in the heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions.

Cornier and Barnett need to be in the ufc asap, and Roy should go down to 205
tongue.gif
....I lost 40 pounds last year with no excercise, I bet he could do it too...

Well, all he needs is 100k likes on facebook. :wink:

But yeah, the HW talent pool isn't so deep. It never has been, to be honest. But it's a fun weight class to watch regardless of it's talent pool depth. There's just something exciting about watching two huge guys go at it when you know that one punch could change the outcome of the fight ..

I also like the matchups you've given: Cain vs Bigfoot and Mir vs Werdum. I think I like them better than Mir vs Cain and Bigfoot vs Nelson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back