The Mini³ v2 is out!
Jul 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #31 of 50

amb

Member of the Trade: AMB Laboratories
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
4,933
Likes
41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must be joking. A discrete buffer sounds great, but at this size? NOT!


Especially when the inside is largely taken up by the battery, input/output and DC power jacks, and volume pot!

C2832.jpg
 
Jul 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #32 of 50

beer

Head-Fier
Joined
May 7, 2006
Posts
65
Likes
11
Wow!!! I can't wait to build it
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #33 of 50

Sinwerm

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Posts
298
Likes
10
Fantastic design and the looks are wonderfull in that Hammond case. Been following the "Main" thread at the other site and can't wait for the boards to come to be available. Also gonna sign up for the group buy of custom face-plates. I have most of my problems makeing even spaced plates with DIY things this just makes it to easy and sharp to boot. Great job AMB !!
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #34 of 50

j4cbo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 13, 2006
Posts
118
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better than a DIY portable of this size? (Note: that's a credit card!)

You must be joking. A discrete buffer sounds great, but at this size? NOT!



It'd be possible. You can fit a lot in a 1455C801...
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #35 of 50

MusicallySilent

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 11, 2007
Posts
837
Likes
0
I am very highly contemplating building this as one of my first projects (after making a couple RCA interconnects for the old stereo, a mini to mini interconnect for an amp (both short for portable and long for pc use (3foot and 8inch or so) and a 10foot or so headphone extension cord.

Might look for some local electronics shops for equipment otherwise I am gonna order some cable and a good but inexpensive iron (probably weller or circuit specialists) online with it and have it shipped
biggrin.gif
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #36 of 50

Sinwerm

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Posts
298
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very highly contemplating building this as one of my first projects (after making a couple RCA interconnects for the old stereo, a mini to mini interconnect for an amp (both short for portable and long for pc use (3foot and 8inch or so) and a 10foot or so headphone extension cord.

Might look for some local electronics shops for equipment otherwise I am gonna order some cable and a good but inexpensive iron (probably weller or circuit specialists) online with it and have it shipped
biggrin.gif



The nice thing about a build like this is many , many others will be doing it at the same time and will be online to help or have ideas to make it sound better , or a work-around if there is a problem.
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #37 of 50

MusicallySilent

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 11, 2007
Posts
837
Likes
0
Yea... I am probably gonna make my interconnects in the next week or so... might place an order on Monday for cable... I might pick up my solder (63-37) and braid at the RadioS... I am lost on what to do for and iron... Sears has some cheap craftsman probably like RadioS there is a 40 watt weller at home depot or I might just order a cheap 30 dollar soldering station by circuit specialists... I might as well because I will probably find some use for it at some point... soldering is helpful for lots of things such as headphone repairs... then I also need a multimeter
frown.gif


Yea everyone working together and helping each other out though i am a novice to electronics might be good... (I might need some idiot speak)
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #38 of 50

tomb

Member of the Trade: Beezar.com
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Posts
10,539
Likes
762
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nice thing about a build like this is many , many others will be doing it at the same time and will be online to help or have ideas to make it sound better , or a work-around if there is a problem.


Hmm ... this exsts for every major design. Most are "officially" supported by the designer over on Headwize. I'm not aware of any major DIY design that's not still completely supported by the designer even today. Most design/build threads are even stickied over there - Amb's are for sure. If you post, you'll get help and an answer.

The Mini3 is not unique in that respect.
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #39 of 50

khbaur330162

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 5, 2006
Posts
1,891
Likes
146
Is this to an M^3 what the PPAS was to the PPA?
 
Jul 13, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #40 of 50

amb

Member of the Trade: AMB Laboratories
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
4,933
Likes
41
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this to an M^3 what the PPAS was to the PPA?


Not exactly. The PPAS was almost all-SMD, while Mini³ is all through-hole except for the two SOIC-8 opamps. PPAS stayed fairly close to the PPA in design except some minor simplification and difference choice of parts. Mini³ is only similar to the M³ in that both are 3-channel active ground designs, but is otherwise very different. Finally, perhaps a minor point, both Mini³ and M³ are from me and Morsel, whereas PPA was from tangent and other members of Team PPA, but PPAS was not related in any way to the Team PPA.
 
Jul 16, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #41 of 50

Sinwerm

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Posts
298
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm ... this exsts for every major design. Most are "officially" supported by the designer over on Headwize. I'm not aware of any major DIY design that's not still completely supported by the designer even today. Most design/build threads are even stickied over there - Amb's are for sure. If you post, you'll get help and an answer.

The Mini3 is not unique in that respect.



Yes great place it is , (lurker for awhile). Im more refering to the community feel that is gotten when building while so many will also be doing the same.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top