The Members Lounge thank you to Tyll!
Apr 6, 2010 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

grawk

Itinerant Miscreant
You're the reason many of us got into this hobby, or even realized the hobby existed. I don't want to be limited in what I say to being friendly to the guys that took your baby, abused it, and kicked you out.

You're the reason headfi isn't about being alone in a room listening to music, isolating yourself. You and your van helped make meets fun. Then you and Aaron made the first national meet happen. It wasn't about making things just better for headroom, it wasn't about just pushing your products. It was making things better for everyone so that there'd be more for everyone. For that, I thank you. You're one of the best friends I've made on the internet, and you went against the grain, and instead of turning things into "what's in it for me" you made it "what can we do to make it better for everyone". THANKS!

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 56
Tyll was the first guy to sell me a set of high-end headphones, my trusty ER4P's. It was in direct response to the wealth of information on Headroom's site that I made the purchase and it's one I've never regretted.

So in that vein all I'm going to say is that I look forward to the things that Tyll has to say in the future. He's an amazing resource and I'm glad he's sticking around.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 56
I'm with Dan on this. While I am not on the inside but it seems to me that this was not a consciousn choice on Tyll's part to leave. Headroom was his baby and without him it is not the same place. There is no question of Tyll's commitment to this hobby. While increasing sales has to be important to any company, Tyll did by growing thie hobby which is good for all of us that believe this hobby is bigger than a bunch of companies selling stuff and a website promoting those companies. For me it has always been about the people.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 56
The measurements and writing Tyll did at HR was the reason I bought my first high end setup and the reason I bought the HD800s from them too (which may well be my last headphones). He's the good stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing where he goes next and if I can help him that's even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 56
I went to my first meet a few months after joining Head-Fi, and really did not know what to expect. Tyll was one of the very first people I met as he ran up in his Hawaiian shirt and asked me if I wanted to sign his surfboard/table even though he surely had no idea who I was and I had little idea who he was. I kinda figured out at that moment that headphone meets weren't as weird or geeky as I had imagined. As Dan said, Tyll made these meets about people and sharing and learning and laughing as opposed to a bunch of solitary figures isolating themselves from those around them. Of course, some people wish there were more of that at meets, but to each his own.
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 56
I met Tyll for the first time at the first (inter?)national meet, which also happened to be my first meet. I was listening to a bunch of stuff at the HR table and saying how awesome it was, etc. Next thing I know, Tyll is shoving a MicroStack into my hands and telling me to just go listen to it. And I did, and it was awesome. I couldn't believe that he trusted me with such great gear. It was as fine an introduction to a Head-Fi Meet as it was to HeadRoom's products.

So, here's to Tyll and his indelible stamp on this hobby and this community. I look forward to whatever he does next and I hope to be able to join him in celebrating it.

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 56
My first real entry to this hobby was because of Tyll and headroom.I bought my first iem from headroom,the ie8.And then I got the little beast the micro amp.
Thank you Tyll,without you I would still be listening to my previous skullcandy Titan.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 56
Tyll is the heart and soul of the high end headphone listening hobby. Truly a man with a vision and a clue who went out there on the ledge and made things happen. Tyll never lost sight of what it is all about, however, and always kept the fun and "people first" attitude in any business dealing.

Thanks for all you have done, Tyll, and thanks even more for being the friend and fun to be with person that we all know.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 56
I've never met Tyll in person but I have to send my appreciation out to him in what he has accomplished for the community. Thank you for introducing me to the Grado sound.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 56
I was going to let you guys have your say, but I just had to respond to these two:

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a damn shame to see Tyll go and with him the scientific approach when we need it more then ever to stem the tide of the nonsense that rules HF these days.

Oh ... dooood ... you are so wrong, I'm moving on exactly so that I can bring more meaningful evaluation of gear to the hobby. I worked for HeadRoom before; I work for you now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for introducing me to the Grado sound.

cheemo, you just made my day man.
thumb.gif

Oscar.gif

(I'm fairly well known not to like the Grado sound. nttawwt.)

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 56
I am glad you will still be involved with headphone matters Tyll and the very best of luck in your new venture. Long may you enjoy it.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh ... dooood ... you are so wrong, I'm moving on exactly so that I can bring more meaningful evaluation of gear to the hobby. I worked for HeadRoom before; I work for you now.[/IMG]

Glad to hear it.
beerchug.gif
Without good measurements we are stuck in a sea of subjective comments where the opinion of the loudest voice becomes fact. I for one would welcome testing of amps/sources/cans similar to what Stereophile and Hifi News are doing to prevent another Single Power (or insert any of the other HF scams at will) episode or to just stop manufacturers using shills to sell crappy product which is taking place here every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back