The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #303 of 1,426
  White Lotus
Consider composition , more interesting if the subject is not dead centre
Background is a little cluttered
Art is more about negative spaces and angles what you have here is a nice descriptive presentation shot of a pair of headphones

Mate, I love most of your photos and I'm far from a photographic expert myself, but agree with Dogmatrix on the slightly cluttered background and placement of your subject in the centre. Some of the shots you've taken at our meets and when we caught up at Noisy Motel that day are really awesome so my suggestion would be to consider your background and place the emphasis off-centre (normally using the 1/3 rule of placing the subject in the top, bottom or side 1/3 of the shot)

Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated. 

How about this?

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #304 of 1,426
Much improved White Lotus
Focus is immediately on the subject without irrelevant distractions
Another way to deal with backgrounds is depth of field , by employing lower light levels (larger aperture) and higher zoom you can soften the background focus

Now I'll get nit picky , the angle you have chosen is interesting but you still have a 50/50 thing going on I would crop out half to two thirds of the white space . Remember Loquah's 1/3 rule , in design terms the golden ratio is basically 3 to 2 so 3 parts subject to 2 parts space

To art things up even further don't feel you need to show the complete headphone
Try changing you're angle of attack get up high and down low  
Look for interesting shapes , shadows and lines in the interaction between the elements of the subject and the stand , table and background

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #308 of 1,426
Aug 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #309 of 1,426

Looks like a long exposure shot with flame in the background.

@woodcans do tell please!

He'll never tell - he's like a silent optical assassin!
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back