The McAlister Audio Massive Attack [56K warning]
Nov 13, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Without going into too much detail about the sound yet, can you tell us more about the power this amp has, and if you're sufficiently sattisfied that you're driving the 340's to the point you desired?

It can drive the K340's to levels which would likely damage your hearing. Seems to be supplying more than enough current and voltage swing for them. I'm not noticing any of the issues that arise from them being underdriven.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Jay, has a night of burn-in opened the low-end up at all?

It seems to have enough oomph as far as I'm concerned, but could use a bit more extension I think. I'll have to try some test tracks to be sure about this.

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
It seems to have enough oomph as far as I'm concerned, but could use a bit more extension I think. I'll have to try some test tracks to be sure about this.

This could change in the near future with burn in, since you have the one and only you'll have to chart those waters yourself. Also Jay remember how much bass slam the Zapfilter MkII added to my source, in case you're still planning on adding it to your E-Sound soon. I think they're back in stock. I'd want to hear the source change before tweaking the amp too much. Just a thought.

I still have to wonder if tube rolling could still help too, even if Peter doesn't tend to think so.

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #33 of 58
That is a beast of an amp Jay. Hopefully i'll get to hear it one of these days
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #34 of 58
I think you don't want the current to increase as the impedance falls when you have a reactive load (or vice-versa). You want it to be stable in the face of a reactive (capactive) load. Very reactive electrostatic loud (not head) speakers like the Quad '57s can be driven well by very stable, low power amps, in the 10-25 W range.

I don't know anything about the efficiency of electrostatic head phones.

Of course McAlister knows this and designs his headphone stuff accordingly.

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
What tubes does it use?

the question is what tubes DOESN'T it use? my gosh, it looks like that point to point Nixie Clock shot! is it really called the Massive Attack? very appropriate lol!

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Also Jay remember how much bass slam the Zapfilter MkII added to my source, in case you're still planning on adding it to your E-Sound soon. I think they're back in stock. I'd want to hear the source change before tweaking the amp too much. Just a thought.

True, and I am looking forward to the ZapFilter, but I doubt it will make a difference with bass extension. Quote:

I still have to wonder if tube rolling could still help too, even if Peter doesn't tend to think so.

You'd better believe I will be giving it a try regardless of what Peter says.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x
That is a beast of an amp Jay. Hopefully i'll get to hear it one of these days.

You're welcome to come down whenever you want Matt, but I'm sure we will have another Hamilton meet in a month or so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89
I think you don't want the current to increase as the impedance falls when you have a reactive load (or vice-versa). You want it to be stable in the face of a reactive (capactive) load. Very reactive electrostatic loud (not head) speakers like the Quad '57s can be driven well by very stable, low power amps, in the 10-25 W range.

Not sure I follow what you are saying, but I can pass it along to Peter if you'd like. Remember that though there is a pair of electrets in the K340's, they are still for all intents and purposes dynamic headphones. Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
the question is what tubes DOESN'T it use? my gosh, it looks like that point to point Nixie Clock shot! is it really called the Massive Attack? very appropriate lol!

biggrin.gif

Thanks James.
wink.gif

He let me have naming priviledges, and though thundercougarfalconbird won in the poll, I decided to go with Massive Attack.
340smile.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

A friend of mine has an EA-1 (more or less) in one of the EA-6 chasses. He was looking for a bit more low end impact with OII. I gave him some tubes to try, and the Raytheon 6FQ7/6CG7 was the one that provided the "punch" he was looking for. Note: I'm talking about the short-plate Japanese version (probably made by Toshiba), NOT the US-made long-plate Raytheons.

Several manufacturers have made claims that tube rolling won't affect the sound of their amps. I have yet to hear a tube amp where this was actually true.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #38 of 58
Did this friend find that they made a difference?

The theory behind them sounding the same in Peter's amps is sound, with his tubed CCS and negative power supplies many of the differences between tubes are made so insignificant as to have no effect.

I am still going to give it a go of course...
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #39 of 58
Me also, especially in the EA-6... completely retubing as we speak...

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #41 of 58
I'm the friend of Hirsch's with the EA-1. Hirsch is correct that the Raytheon did clean up some of the low end compression I was hearing and added some impact.

I have to say that Hirsch is really amazingly accurate with his recommendations and we are lucky to have him, along with all the other tube experts here, to help us find the right tube choices. I, for one, appreciate it.

I am talking to Peter about increasing the capacitance to add some bass as well. Overall the amp is great and I am really happy with it.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave1
I have to say that Hirsch is really amazingly accurate with his recommendations and we are lucky to have him, along with all the other tube experts here, to help us find the right tube choices. I, for one, appreciate it.

I agree, I hope my post didn't make it seem like I thought otherwise.

All I was trying to say is that there is a good scientific grounding to why Peter believes tube rolling has no effect on his amps.
wink.gif

As for increasing capacitance to add some bass, does that work the same way with electrostatic amps? [I know nothing about how they work.
redface.gif
]

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #43 of 58
Something strange has happened... all of a sudden I like classical music.
cool.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Something strange has happened... all of a sudden I like classical music.
cool.gif

Try some HD650s on your new amp and I bet you'd say you like them too!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Try some HD650s on your new amp and I bet you'd say you like them too!

Well, I don't know if I would go that far... though I am curious as quite a few people loved the Senns on it at the Toronto meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back