The McAlister Audio Massive Attack [56K warning]
Nov 12, 2006 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
For updated pictures, please visit this thread.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures... I really need to get a tripod.
frown.gif

McAlister Audio: www.mcalisteraudio.com

The meet was great tonight, but I'm glad to finally be home as I didn't get much of a chance to hear my amp there.

Front.JPG

Top.JPG

Corner.JPG

A few points:

- Yes, the 1/4" jacks are different. Yes, it will be fixed.
biggrin.gif

- The Power keystart switch failed and Peter had to bypass it... I'm glad this happened before he handed the amp over.
- The faceplate didnt really turn out as Peter and I wanted it. Neither of us payed anything for it though so no harm. Steve [swt61] should be able to remedy this for us in any case.
cool.gif

- The XLR jacks are way too close to the volume knobs... this is one of the things that we will try to remedy with the new faceplate.
- I believe Peter mentioned that there is some more exterior finishing that is still to be done.
- Will probably swap the blue LED for a green one. Though I suppose I need to consider what will look proper on a bloodwood and ebony faceplate.
biggrin.gif

- I'm thinking about trying to source the aluminum caps voodoochile used in his gorgeous amp as mine are tin. With aluminum I could polish them up nice and clear coat them.
cool.gif

- We will likely tweak the circuit some more, though at the moment my complaints are very minor.
- It's still burning in, so no impressions yet.

My attempt at a Lights Out shot without a tripod...

Lights%20Out.JPG

Renato enjoying himself...

Renato.JPG

The whole rack...

Rack.JPG

[I know, this is a terrible picture.]

Random decent shot I took of the E5 Sig...

CDP.JPG

Peace...

Peace.JPG

I'm listening to Theivery Corporation - Heaven's Gonna Burn Your Eyes at the moment, and I swear, it is.
340smile.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
- I'm thinking about trying to source the aluminum caps voodoochile used in his gorgeous amp as mine are tin. With aluminum I could polish them up nice and clear coat them.

I think they are ASC's. You can get them from Allied, Partsconnexion, Percy, and a few other places -- as well as ebay for cheap. Solen also makes a few caps in aluminum cans like that as do a few other manufacturers.

Nice looking amp. Is there a schematic?

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 58
Superpredator -
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
I think they are ASC's.

Thanks, I will look into that.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Nice looking amp. Is there a schematic?

Not as of yet, though I will be trying to get one off of Peter. I am sure with parts of the amp he will not want to divulge all of his secrets, but perhaps I can get a near complete schematic with a block diagram to fill in whatever he wants to keep to himself. We didn't get as much time to discuss the circuit as we had wanted since I had to rush off to the meet today right after the amp was delivered.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
What tubes does it use?

The 4 tubes at the front are 6H30's, though Peter says that he may want to try a different tube in place of them at some point. The 4 tubes directly behind them [without the silver rings] are 6GU7, which is similar to the 6CG7 except that it has 3dB less gain.

I forget which particular pentodes are being used, but have it written down somewhere. I do know that they are all dual pentodes. The center one [in front of the transformer] is for regulation and the other 4 are used mostly for Peter's tubed CCS, though I think some of them may be used in his unbalanced-balanced phase inversion circuit.

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 58
BLOODY HELL MAN!! What an amp!! From a first impression, does it sound like a real keeper? Either way, congrats on yet a further step to K340 nirvana!!

Aditya

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 58
That amplifier looks awesome. Enjoy!
lambda.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
From a first impression, does it sound like a real keeper?

Definately... I can tell that much already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 58
The Titanic!

That's a very nice looking amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a feeling that it sounds as good, too.
eek.gif
Does it still have that 'new amp smell'?

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Does it still have that 'new amp smell'?

I'm not sure if it is the transformer, tubes or the paint on the amp or what... but after it has been running a bit it does get a little stinky.
tongue.gif

I forgot to mention earlier, but there is a huge hand wound transformer under that cover. And Peter has said that it has 8 power supplies.
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
The turn key power is pretty cool, but is there a reason behind it?

Nothing special, I just liked the idea. Too bad that switch failed... hopefully I can find something better to replace it with.

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Nothing special, I just liked the idea. Too bad that switch failed... hopefully I can find something better to replace it with.

how about a import sports car feel with a key and a puch button
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back