The McAlister Audio Massive Attack [56K warning]
Nov 15, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #46 of 58
I am glad you are enjoying your new amp.

I will have a dirty Martini in your, new amps honor
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
If you are looking for other tubes, take a look at the 6N6p. It is essentially the same tube as the 6H30. Some people like one a little better, some like the other, but because they were never used by BAT (or anyone else really), they can be found for cheap -- like $1 per tube new.

Better check with Peter if the 6n6p can be used without modification. I smoked some resistors in my Eddie Current EC01 by trying a couple of 6h30's in place of the 6n6p's in it!

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine has an EA-1 (more or less) in one of the EA-6 chasses. He was looking for a bit more low end impact with OII. I gave him some tubes to try, and the Raytheon 6FQ7/6CG7 was the one that provided the "punch" he was looking for. Note: I'm talking about the short-plate Japanese version (probably made by Toshiba), NOT the US-made long-plate Raytheons.

Several manufacturers have made claims that tube rolling won't affect the sound of their amps. I have yet to hear a tube amp where this was actually true.

Hirsch, you are a national treasure - those short-plate Raytheons sound pretty damn good in the EA-6 as well... thanks for the recommendation.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #49 of 58
Well, I am taking my amp to Peter's tomorrow and we are going to finish it up.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait!
340smile.gif

Also looking forward to listening to his elecrostatic speakers with crazy monoblocks and his Omega I and Gamma Pro headphones.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #50 of 58
Maybe you can have a listen to my EA-6, just as a checkpoint as well... _especially_ with some heavily distorted electric guitars... IFFFFFF the fix is in... por favor...
orphsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #51 of 58
Peter has a pretty sweet turntable (can't remember the make) as source. We listen to a scratchy “Modern Cool” Patricia Barber album one afternoon and it was an experience!
cool.gif
His Dynaco CDV tube CD player is no slouch either, it's heavily modded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately I've only seen his stat headphones. He never seems to have amp on hand when I visit. Once a build is completed, I guess it's quickly out door to the lucky new customer.

Best of luck tomorrow, hope your amp is only on the bench for a few hours and we're not taking about days.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #52 of 58
He seemed confidant that he could finish in one day. We'll see how it works out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pabbi - I will try to remember to ask him about your electrostatic amp.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #53 of 58
basshead.gif
Three months ago I suggested calling it 'Balance Beam' with a tiny girl gymnast as a logo! If any sight of this monster was available back then I'd surely go for 'Metropolis' after its looks.

Anyway, it's good to hear you're enjoying the new amp!

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basshead.gif
Three months ago I suggested calling it 'Balance Beam' with a tiny girl gymnast as a logo! If any sight of this monster was available back then I'd surely go for 'Metropolis' after its looks.

LOL, Metropolis isn't a bad name! I am happy with 'Massive Attack' though.
340smile.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He seemed confidant that he could finish in one day. We'll see how it works out.
smily_headphones1.gif

How does it sound?

I am having a tuff time finding the right tubes for the K340s with my new amp. Ballanced made the K340 sound brighter.

How does ballanced sound with the K340 on your new amp?

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #56 of 58
Well, he found some new caps that are alluminum and can be polished... unfortunately that meant leaving the amp. It should be done today and I have a friend [Pixel Pusher] who is picking up his amp and will take mine as well.

So no impressions on the sound of the finished device yet.

I've noticed more extension, but I wouldn't say they sound bright. Maybe a little at first before burn in. What tubes does your amp use?

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #57 of 58
Updated pictures here.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back