The LOD needs to be renamed
Sep 27, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are people too busy with the troubles and issues of life to be troubled with researching and understanding what the LOD is. I have an advantage, I have been screwed out of my life and now have ample time for discovery.

Lets make it as easy on people as possible. Those who are grinding through the cogs of society need the soothing wonder of music in it's richest form. Lets allow them that with simplicity and help them discover how they can be richly rewarded with a line out rig.

Then just say Line out Cable. It's perfectly acceptable.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a dock though, by definition of the physical connector, it "docks" to the ipod/imod/X5/Zune/whatever. A Cable is the part between the connectors, or a generic term for anything using that conductor. At the specific level, the item we are discussing is clearly a "Dock".

A DAP dock normally locks into place, docking itself securely to the device. The nature of that interface is clearly a "dock", how can you redefine that?

Can you give me a one word definition for this item?:

black.jpg

A Line Out Cable would make sense if it did not use a "dock" to connect to the DAP.

And a canalphone and IEM are earbuds.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #33 of 69
I say the term for that type of connector is a "Dock Connector". This was probably eventually named "Line Out Dock".

I think it could have a better name, but LOD is fine. Nobody is going to be terribly misled by it.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 69
He's saying Apple refers to their proprietary connector as the "Dock Connector." They've done this since the first iPods that didn't bear a FireWire port directly on the chassis.

I'm assuming the rationale behind this was due to the fact that the connector can be used to interface the iPod with a docking station. But it can also be used for other things.

Amusing bit of information; when I had first obtained my third-gen Nano, I asked the Apple Store employee if they had a small dock connector with a line-out (I was trying to find a SendStation PocketDock). They had no idea what it was.

I'm inclined to agree with the rest of the populace here; the LOD as a term coined within the audiophile community is unlikely to change. And even if the terminology were to change, what makes you think the general populace will even notice or care?

For nearly all consumers who purchase an iPod, sound quality at the expense of all else is not a priority. For these consumers, music is a convenience, portable players and accessories are chosen on merits of fashion, and sound quality simply isn't a factor.

The short version: your average consumer will stare at you like you just turned into a giant spider. And then probably call you insane for spending more money on headphones than on the player itself. Then they'd ask if the large metal box affixed under your iPod is a battery pack.

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #37 of 69
Wouldn't an audiophile newbie also have no idea on op-amps, tube rolling, attenuators and other audio electronic electric parts / terms? Let's face it, if you're going to get interested and invest time and (oh so much) money with with audio fidelity equipment then you're going to have to learn some of the jargon as well. Don't dumb everything down because someone a bit of a thicko.

For quite a while I thought "tube rolling" meant to actually rolled the valve tube back and forth over a surface with your hand. I thought this loosened up the bits of wire inside so it would work better. Luckily I never ventured this opinion here and so no one pointed and laughed at me.

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Here's the dictionary definition of "dock". I don't see anything about the "connector" you pictured or anything electronics related.

dock definition |Dictionary.com

I see nothing about mp3 players there either sorry:

DAP definition |Dictionary.com

Did you find an answer to my questions? Another word the item I pictured?

smile_phones.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see nothing about mp3 players there either sorry:

DAP definition |Dictionary.com

Did you find an answer to my questions? Another word the item I pictured?

smile_phones.gif

Hmmm...lets see...it sure looks like a connector...but lets call it a cat! Yeah, that'll work, make people scratch the hair right off their heads!..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

And your attention is no longer needed...
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, trying to be all cutesy. At least you're getting attention, right? Starting all these threads we really don't need?

What you're essentially trying to do is re-invent the wheel, and good for you if you already brainwashed yourself, but you're obviously taking words too literally, and you're also assuming that "others" will not begin to grasp the concept of a LOD on the first try. Did anybody? Sure LOC may be a more accurate term, but you're splitting hairs for the hell of it at this rate, and your post history definitely shows that.

By the way, you calling both IEMs and canalphones as earbuds...I find that grouping amusing since you like taking words so literally.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your attention-whoring threads REALLY need to stop.

He he

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #44 of 69
Well, after being confused by someone else on the Pictures of your Portable Rig thread when I mentioned that I have a LOD (and no, the reply was, you have a Line Out Cable), and was What, I came to read this thread that I remembered seeing earlier and I thought I'd share what should be the perfect compromise for truthfully naming the "thing"... :

LODwaCTta1/8C

It is a line out dock connected with a cable terminated to a 1/8th connection.

Change 1/8C at the end to whatever connection you're using
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #45 of 69
Just call it a iLod and it will sell like hotcakes...who the hell came up with that phrase anyways? Exactly how well do hotcakes sell?

And I gotta go with the mule here, this thread and the arguments herein really do just look like a post count jacker. Nobody argues that much over semantics, especially ones having to do with something as trivial as an LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back