The LOD needs to be renamed
Sep 26, 2008 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

lewislink

Banned
The biggest part of holding the line out capability of audio output from becoming more mainstream and bigger in use is the name, LOD. Yes, LOD tells a newcomer to the audiophile world absolutely nothing and while they are overwhelmed about all the choices of canalphones, DAPs and amps as well as interconnects and such, and which is best and what will they expect...basically where to even start to begin their audiophile hobby or just update their current setup, they aren't going to bother digging into what LOD means unless they are more industrious as the rest of us are. Most newcomers will probably wonder what LOD means but never decide to find out. And when those who will ask find out that it mean "Line Out Dock", What on Earth! They'll likely say they don't need a dock, they want something mobile to carry around with them.

Regardless if people take the time to understand what it means and what it can do for sound quality, most people won't go that far. If it were obvious right out front about what it means and what it can do, most people will dig right into it, furthering the concept and making it grow so much so the DAP companies take notice and begin to find it viable to start producing DAPs with audiophile features like a line out. But as it is, the name alone is keeping it from growing.

If the concept is going to grow, lets rename it to something that is easily identifiable.

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 69
In Singapore, the government once funded a multimillion dollar effort by an agency to rename Marina Bay (it's near the central business district, where parts of the Singapore Grand Prix will pass through tomorrow), a few months and a few million dollars later, Marina Bay was renamed Marina Bay, with reasons of familiarity, affection, etc. cited.

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 69
the outlet is a 'dock'

the wire is 'line out'

ufortunately these terms have been around since the the invention of stereo

portable players arnt made for hi fidelity. R&D / manufacturing will never make a hifidelity player. Marketing departments will never market a hi fidelity player or accessories there off because the demographic isnt large enough to be profitable. LOD will never be mainstream.

Sep 26, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 69
And unfortunately most people relate "dock" to something stationary, like a dock at sea, where a boat ties up to. A DAP dock is no different, people will reference it as something non-mobile and, if they are wanting purely mobile related equipment, will pass it by.

Just consider how people relate DAPs...all brands...to iPod. Or how people relate a weed trimmer to a "Weed Eater", which is a brand. Or how they relate a cotton swab to a "Q-Tip", which is a brand. Consider what people used to refer to a paper copy as a Xerox.

A fatalistic attitude will gain nothing and there is no sentimentality of the name, LOD, in the majority because the majority know nothing of an LOD to begin with.

How much accessories are made for other DAPs beside the iPod? The industry will make anything if there is a large enough market for it. If LOD were renamed something easily identifiable and with a name that's self explanatory, the feature would take off and grow and the industry would begin to recognize it and start marketing for it. To say the industry won't make something no matter the appeal and desire for it is foolish and short sited and that isn't how the market works.

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 69
I'm not convinced it needs a rename. Anyone who would possibly want one already knows what it is. The same people who 'don't want a dock, they want something mobile' also don't want to be carrying around an amp in their pocket.

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just consider how people relate DAPs...all brands...to iPod.

What's a DAP?
icon10.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And unfortunately most people relate "dock" to something stationary, like a dock at sea, where a boat ties up to. A DAP dock is no different, people will reference it as something non-mobile and, if they are wanting purely mobile related equipment, will pass it by.

Just consider how people relate DAPs...all brands...to iPod. Or how people relate a weed trimmer to a "Weed Eater", which is a brand. Or how they relate a cotton swab to a "Q-Tip", which is a brand. Consider what people used to refer to a paper copy as a Xerox.

A fatalistic attitude will gain nothing and there is no sentimentality of the name, LOD, in the majority because the majority know nothing of an LOD to begin with.

How much accessories are made for other DAPs beside the iPod? The industry will make anything if there is a large enough market for it. If LOD were renamed something easily identifiable and with a name that's self explanatory, the feature would take off and grow and the industry would begin to recognize it and start marketing for it. To say the industry won't make something no matter the appeal and desire for it is foolish and short sited and that isn't how the market works.

Ahh, but nothing is stationary. Ref: Einsteins general theory of relativity.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 69
That's okay, I'll just do my part for the cause and from this point on refer to it what it actually is, a line out cable...LOC. I'll try to assist the newcomers as much as possible since I'll be doing this alone.

And for reference, when I got here, I knew nothing of an LOD and wasn't looking for one. I didn't know I needed one and didn't really even care to research. Now that I have it, though, I'm going to keep it and make it flourish as much as possible.
Most people will come here, see LOD and wonder what it is. But some will most likely never ask for fear of appearing ignorant.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 69
I figured it out after a few pics in the portable pics thread. But I had a previous experience hearing improved sound with a radio adapter. I understood Dock because that is the ipod dock port from when they used to actually include a dock, now its just a connector unless you get a dock. And line out because the ipod Docks have a line out to use with stereos. But I guess because they don't include docs anymore it doesnt really have the same meaning. Maybe LOA or LOC like you said, but yeah its stuck, people will figure it out someway if they care enough. Thats just a general rule for most things I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 69
What are you kidding? Being more mainstream hinges on an abbreviation/definition? This is geek audio culture so there goes about 90% there. Picking apart minute details and discussing ad nauseum to gain something a newb would be scratching their heads over is a bigger problem then a definition.

Forget mainstream. It ain't happening anytime soon even if we called it SEX.. Sound Enhancing X-factor.
tongue.gif

LOD.. Once someone knows what it is. It's done.. Easy to understand. Anything else.. Steep curve to overcome or your inherent gadget freak.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 69
This is as riduculous as saying that "LOL" needs a rename. And further ridiculous that you not suggest that a DAC or a DAP needs a rename. You post the most useless topics trying to gain a post count and it's a downgrade to our community in multiple ways - like cluttering things with threads like this, as well as building up your post count to some high number - some newb will come here and think that you know what you're talking about because you have five thousand posts while you have been here for two months.

I'm definitely not the only person who has noticed this - your activity here is like a neon pink wildfire. Most especially in the portable forums, from what I'm seeing.

Please stop, man?

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 69
so.. you're calling people new to the audiophile world too stupid and uninterested to ask questions? and telling me that by changing LOD to something else everyone will instantly understand the subculture? really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back