The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #361 of 583
Wow that is really too bad, are you still going to look at tubes, possibly a Valhalla or a hybrid Lyr from Schiit?

The Garage1217.com Project Ember gets some very high praise from its owner's.
http://garage1217.com/graphic_design_004.htm
The looks of it is just not to my liking.

Thanks for the update and please keep us posted!
:beerchug:

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #362 of 583
  Hi guys, after a very lengthy search I think im finally settling on a little dot MK III or MKIV.

Just wondering what the difference was between these two?

Also was looking at getting a DAC for it as well but funds are relatively low :frowning2: would a schiit modi suffice?

I currently have an Asus STX which I guess I could use as a DAC then connect the little dot

STX>Little Dot MKXXX> HD600

:)

Hi, well the sound card has a serious problem, i had the xonar essence ST as DAC with LD MK VI+, i still have dat amp and i replace the sound card ST to Anedio D2, the sound cards problem that there's a spark sound specially is notoriously with Piano solo musics.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #364 of 583
It looks like the SE edition is on sale for the next few days... anyone know how these would do to drive HE-500's? The power output seems a little low...

Did someone here had a chance to compare the LD to the Bottlehead Crack ?

I'd love to see this as well.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #366 of 583
Is there an appreciable difference between the two? I'm trying to find the right path to move up from my little Aune T1, and I'm a little uncertain! The Schiit Lyr seems to be a popular choice, but it is on the expensive side (as is the Bottlehead Crack).

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #367 of 583
You might want to remove the Massdrop link as that is not allowed here on HF.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #370 of 583
amham, can you elaborate on your experience with the SE and the HE-500's? I have an SE on the way and have been intrigued by the HE-500 lately. I thought I'd heard someone talk about them being mismatched, but I reckon it's a personal taste matter and would appreciate hearing about yours if you didn't mind. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #371 of 583
  amham, can you elaborate on your experience with the SE and the HE-500's? I have an SE on the way and have been intrigued by the HE-500 lately. I thought I'd heard someone talk about them being mismatched, but I reckon it's a personal taste matter and would appreciate hearing about yours if you didn't mind. 

That's the difference between theory and practice, basically. People have been raving about how the HE-500 is supposed to be really hard to drive, need 2000W to sound good, and blah blah blah... But, it's still a sensitive enough pair of headphones, that despite its low impedance (and therefore inherent mismatch with OTL tube amps, especially less powerful ones), has no damping factor issues because it's an ortho (flat impedance throughout all frequencies, behaves like a resistor across the whole spectrum in a way, unlike typical high impedance dynamic phones like the HD650) and doesn't really care about the high output impedance an OTL tube amp like the MK IV would have (which would be the "problem" here: impedance mismatch).

So, unlike dynamic phones, the worst the HE-500 can suffer is being a little bit starved for current, but for the HE-500 to sound "bad", it would take more than just a less powerful amp, you'd need to severely underpower it (think ipod or iphone). High impedance dynamic headphones like the HD650, on the other hand, sound like Schiit when paired with the wrong type of amp and/or when underpowered (think cheap SS amp with some current but very little voltage amplification).

The HE-500 isn't actually very picky with amps, so long as they get some degree of current amplification. And even the MK IV SE will deliver more than enough current to low impedance cans (despite being made for the exact opposite application) to drive the HE-500 to ear-shattering levels. The worst you could and probably won't be missing out on is a tiny bit of bass, that only a full-size speaker could give you, and the OTL detail and 3D sound more than covers for that (and upgraded tubes cover that too).

I've been using the HE-500 with my MK IV SE for almost a year now, and I can at least vouch for the fact that there is tremendous synergy between the two. Balanced-sounding orthos like the HE-500 (Audeze's less so from what I hear) just pair marvelously well with OTL amps in terms of sound, it's like hearing ultra-detail in a velour glove or something. And with the right tubes, I dare you to find anything missing with that pairing!

Hope that helps

A happy MK IV SE user

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #372 of 583
Quick question!

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm, and I just received a Little Dot MK IV SE.

How do I set the gain switches for my 250 Ohm Beyers?

Gain of 10 - High impedance or low sensitivity loads.

Gain of 5 - Medium impedance or medium sensitivity.

Gain of 4 - Medium impedance or medium sensitivity.

Gain of 3 - Low impedance or high sensitivity.

A few quick pointers would be highly appreciated!

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #373 of 583
Typical answer would be to test what setting sounds best, but Little Dot would probably recommend gain x10 as a best match for this type of headphone.

Hope you like the amp!
beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #374 of 583
I hope I will like it too of course! For starters, it's definitely nice to look at! 
beerchug.gif

If my Beyers would be 600 Ohms I would surely put the gain on x10 straight away. But does the 250 Ohm version also count as high?

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #375 of 583
Yes, as AFB says test what setting sounds best.

My personal experience with the DT880 Pro's 250 Ohm, the amp came default at 3 which I didn't like the sound of at all. I bypassed 4 and went to 5 which I found sounded much better and gave me a nice listening volume at 10-11 o'clock on the dial. I tried 10 and found too much volume to soon at 8 - 9 o'clock fo my linking. I like my volume controls near the midway point for operation but that is just me... :D

Check the setting out to see what you like best and Welcome to the Club!
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back