The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #346 of 584
Hi guys, after a very lengthy search I think im finally settling on a little dot MK III or MKIV.

Just wondering what the difference was between these two?

Also was looking at getting a DAC for it as well but funds are relatively low :frowning2: would a schiit modi suffice?

I currently have an Asus STX which I guess I could use as a DAC then connect the little dot

STX>Little Dot MKXXX> HD600

:)

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #347 of 584
I asked the same question directly to David Zhezhe.

He answered:
"The MK III and MK IV are both based on the same SEPP OTL in Class A design, however the MK IV has a slightly different circuit implementation as well as tubes for better overall performance. The SE version of the MK IV further improves with custom RCA jacks, upgraded circuit components, connectors, and even better tubes. Generally we recommend the MK III as the best price/performance value and the MK IV or SE for those who want those last few percentages of performance. "

I'm thinking to order MK IV SE

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #348 of 584
  Hi guys, after a very lengthy search I think im finally settling on a little dot MK III or MKIV.

Just wondering what the difference was between these two?

Also was looking at getting a DAC for it as well but funds are relatively low :frowning2: would a schiit modi suffice?

I currently have an Asus STX which I guess I could use as a DAC then connect the little dot

STX>Little Dot MKXXX> HD600

:)

I am currently using a Modi with my MkIII and it is a very fine dac, I was going to say 'for the money' but in fact it is a very fine dac period. I got it for the same reason as you, after buying a MkIII and some HD650's funds were low and that was the cheapest dac I saw that seemed to be anything even close to 'Hi-Fi' I am not the least bit disappointed, far exceeded my expectations.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #349 of 584
I purchased the MKIV and it sounds great, however I get a buzzing in the right hand channel. It seems to be the right hand power tube not being seated properly. I changed power tubes around just to check if the tube was the issue, still get the same issue on the right hand channel. Once I seat it properly, the channel disturbance is gone, however, it seems persistent in returning usually within 24 hours. Any ideas?

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #350 of 584
  I purchased the MKIV and it sounds great, however I get a buzzing in the right hand channel. It seems to be the right hand power tube not being seated properly. I changed power tubes around just to check if the tube was the issue, still get the same issue on the right hand channel. Once I seat it properly, the channel disturbance is gone, however, it seems persistent in returning usually within 24 hours. Any ideas?

Yep - contact David.  He's really good with replying - and he'll be the best person to talk to regarding possible causes / or if there is any easy fix.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #352 of 584
Try checking the tube jumper on the right channel for EF95 and EF92.

May have come loose in the shipping.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #353 of 584
Sounds to me like a possible bad solder joint near or on the power tube socket.

When I had mine apart I noticed the soldering of these boards leaves a lot to be desired, so I went through and resoldered the whole board.

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #354 of 584
Email back from david... fairly blunt, said to check the troubleshooting guide and clean the pins. As the problem doesn't seem to be isolated to one tube ie the channel distortion occurs regardless of which tube is placed it's gotta be something else. Waiting for a reply from little dot. 

I'm not very tech savvy, ie i don't own a soldering iron, and I don't really feel terribly comfortable taking apart the little dot... but I will if i have to, is this really my only option?

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #355 of 584
Wow really sorry to hear that, One gets really pumped up and then there is an issue with the product and that really takes all the enjoyment out of it for sure.

That's the problem with these things out of China shoddy workmanship from the little companies and cost way too much to ship it back.

But they say David is supposed to be a great guy to deal with, and has in the past paid for shipping both ways on defective gear, or so I've read.

If you bought it from eBay then Negative Feedback can be your friend as well as a claim filed with PayPal etc... But those are last resorts.

So stay on him about it and if you do not end up getting any satisfactory results... I can assist you in getting the board out as it is a real pig to get apart.

You could then take the board to a buddy who solders and not a dude with a soldering gun. :D

It just sounds like bad solder to me, when you say you reseat the tube and the hum goes away.

The ground for the board is the front right screw on top in the black area by the right driver tube, it's a shot in the dark but make sure that is tight. Try not to mark up the head of it when tightening just incase you have to send the amp back. They use cheap screws too... :D

Good Luck and if you need any help with disassembly just ask.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #356 of 584
Wow really sorry to hear that, One gets really pumped up and then there is an issue with the product and that really takes all the enjoyment out of it for sure.

That's the problem with these things out of China shoddy workmanship from the little companies and cost way too much to ship it back.

Luckily I haven't had any issue with build quality, but I've seen some HeadAmp and Woo Audio soldering work and its top notch compared to the LittleDot.

...But you will pay out the ass for the kind of quality.

...one day

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #357 of 584
Yes indeed, I would expect the Woo tier of product to be excellent in build quality. I imagine most of it is hand soldered, where as the LD board probably went through a wave solderer and then was touched up for bridges and cold solders by hand.

I have already had to change the headphone jack on mine for a Neutrik one, the clone one would cut out one channel if you moved the plug a little...

And yes you will pay for quality product, the more man hours involved the higher the price.

One day there will be a McIntosh 275 50th Anniversary system in the living room. :)

Don't get me wrong, I really like the LD MK IV, its just the little things like jumpers and gain switches that could have been made more accessible for a few bucks more. I also didn't see spending $100+ more on the SE version for a $7 headphone jack and $5 RCA plugs... Mine already had the 6H30Pi-EH's installed and LD states that there are better components in the audio chain as well, but boutique capacitors are a very subjective thing. :D

Hopefully mink42 gets his issue resolved and moves on to Rollin' some fine Heptodes and enjoying the music!

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #358 of 584
Thanks so much for your input Troll! Really helpful! 

I by no means am bagging on little dot as everything so far in terms of customer service has been excellent bar that last email. I'll give him a few days to reply to my latest and I'll update you as to the outcome. Everything I've read about LD and David leaves me quite confident that I won't be left high and dry. 

And yes when I reseat the tube and press it firmly down the hum goes away, however after a variable amount of time..... the hum of minor annoyance returns..

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #360 of 584
I got an email from David saying to try the trouble shooting guide and email back the results. I bought some de oxidizer to clean the pins of the tubes and that hasn't helped either. Definitely something with the amp and not isolated to a tube, otherwise I would have just bought some new tubes! Will email him back tonight and take it from there, considering just returning it at this stage and buying an amp locally :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back