The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #301 of 583
I'm thinking about buying the little dot mkiv to pair it with my hd650s seems like its a good amp by looking at this thread. I haven't had a chance to audition the tube amp. Probably going to take a gamble and buy it. :)

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #302 of 583
Go for it, I did for my DT880's. Thoroughly enjoying the amp, but play with the gain settings and never mind the manuals recommendations. Mine came at 3 default and it had serious harshness to the sound. I moved the gain to 5 and all is good again, this weekend going to see what 10 sounds like. But from what I read I'll probably go back to 5.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #303 of 583
Mi
I'm thinking about buying the little dot mkiv to pair it with my hd650s seems like its a good amp by looking at this thread. I haven't had a chance to audition the tube amp. Probably going to take a gamble and buy it. :)

You can't go wrong with those pair. Feed it with a good DAC and it will make your HD650 sing!

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #304 of 583
Cheers already have a dac and amp but I'm not happy with the amp that I currently have. Heard a different tube amp at a friends house and what can I say was blown away. The tube amp was a few $k but as it will be my first tube amp I'm sure it will sound fantastic. :)

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #305 of 583
I have had the Little Dot MKIV SE for 2 months now. I have noticed while listening to soft music that I can hear some noise at volume level 70 or above. I am a new listener and this is my first tube amp. I asked Little Dot about the issue and they told me that this is a normal issue with tube amps. He stated that the tubes have a floor. Is this true? Do you all have this same issue? I tried different headphones and different wires. No change.

Does anyone pair their MKIV SE with Denon AH-D7000 and Sennheiser HD800?

-Joel

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #306 of 583
70 is very high. Try a higher gain setting, unless you're already maxed out. That should reduce the need for volume - and thr problem. Mine (on about 50, gain setting 5) is dead silent into 600ohm Beyers.

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #307 of 583
Quote:
I have had the Little Dot MKIV SE for 2 months now. I have noticed while listening to soft music that I can hear some noise at volume level 70 or above. I am a new listener and this is my first tube amp. I asked Little Dot about the issue and they told me that this is a normal issue with tube amps. He stated that the tubes have a floor. Is this true? Do you all have this same issue? I tried different headphones and different wires. No change.

Does anyone pair their MKIV SE with Denon AH-D7000 and Sennheiser HD800?

-Joel

Try a gain of 10. I use this, generally, even with HD800. Then, yes 70 is very high. I hardly ever exceed 50 with the HD800, at a gian of 10. As David Zhezhe pointed out, some tubes also have a noise floor, that's right. If you would be using military spec tubes or heptodes as driver tubes, it would be lesser likely.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #308 of 583
Hmmm think there's something wrong with the little dot I just recieved. The tubes just barely glow and a 32ohm headset seems barely audible. Have to have the dial maxed out on the little dot. I did just unpack it maybe I should send it back??

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #309 of 583
Quote:
Hmmm think there's something wrong with the little dot I just recieved. The tubes just barely glow and a 32ohm headset seems barely audible. Have to have the dial maxed out on the little dot. I did just unpack it maybe I should send it back??

My first thought it that it is a 220V version running from 110V mains. What does the voltage sticker say on the back?

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #311 of 583
70 is very high. Try a higher gain setting, unless you're already maxed out. That should reduce the need for volume - and thr problem. Mine (on about 50, gain setting 5) is dead silent into 600ohm Beyers.

Thank you for the post. I did some troubleshooting and discovered that the issue is my DAC. It does not syn well with the tubes. I would not have imagined. I will be buying a new DAC soon. I have been looking at the Rein Audio X3. I have read great reviews about it. But seeing how it is only at 70 and above it isn't too big of an issue. 70 is quite high i suppose. Thank you for the input.

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #312 of 583

Try a gain of 10. I use this, generally, even with HD800. Then, yes 70 is very high. I hardly ever exceed 50 with the HD800, at a gian of 10. As David Zhezhe pointed out, some tubes also have a noise floor, that's right. If you would be using military spec tubes or heptodes as driver tubes, it would be lesser likely.

Thank you for the post. I did some troubleshooting and discovered that the issue is my DAC. It does not syn well with the tubes. I would not have imagined. I will be buying a new DAC soon. I have been looking at the Rein Audio X3. I have read great reviews about it. But seeing how it is only at 70 and above it isn't too big of an issue. 70 is quite high i suppose. Thank you for the input. It actually wasn't the MKIV at all. I plugged in my iPod to test it out and the noise was gone all together. Even at 100 there wasn't a hint of noise. I wonder if the Rein Audio X3 would be a good pair with the MKIV SE.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #313 of 583
Quote:
Go for it, I did for my DT880's. Thoroughly enjoying the amp, but play with the gain settings and never mind the manuals recommendations. Mine came at 3 default and it had serious harshness to the sound. I moved the gain to 5 and all is good again, this weekend going to see what 10 sounds like. But from what I read I'll probably go back to 5.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

How's the MK IV treating you TD?

Quote:

Thank you for the post. I did some troubleshooting and discovered that the issue is my DAC. It does not syn well with the tubes. I would not have imagined. I will be buying a new DAC soon. I have been looking at the Rein Audio X3. I have read great reviews about it. But seeing how it is only at 70 and above it isn't too big of an issue. 70 is quite high i suppose. Thank you for the input.It actually wasn't the MKIV at all. I plugged in my iPod to test it out and the noise was gone all together. Even at 100 there wasn't a hint of noise. I wonder if the Rein Audio X3 would be a good pair with the MKIV SE.

Great troubleshooting Joel.  The best way to find out if your amp is at fault is plug a DAP into it.  On desktop setups (especially computer audio) there are many things in the chain that could be the culprit.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #314 of 583
Quote:
How's the MK IV treating you TD?

The honeymoon is still on, I fire it up go out for a smoke and when I come back in plug the cans in and enjoy. I still haven't tried a 10 gain yet but the 5 is sounding very nice.
Picture up in the Sone Love Zone!
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #315 of 583
Quote:
The honeymoon is still on, I fire it up go out for a smoke and when I come back in plug the cans in and enjoy. I still haven't tried a 10 gain yet but the 5 is sounding very nice.
Picture up in the Sone Love Zone!
beerchug.gif

That's great TD...
beerchug.gif

Yes, the 5 gain is good for various phones.  Give the 10 a shot with the Beyers and then see if the 'Sones cooperate.

I saw that you checked out the LD tube rolling thread...Those guys over there are real players...lol...I remember when the EF91, 92 and 95 family as well as all their variants was going strong.  Now with all the other tubes they have found and cutting pins and strapping, they have taken it to a whole 'nother level.

Amazing!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back