The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #286 of 583
Many thanks HeatFan - you nailed my source. Indicates that the search function on HeadFi can fail to pick things up, pretty sure I checked it thoroughly. Also that the subject of 'best' tubes results in considerable headspin.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #287 of 583
Quote:
A short while back I was displeased with my MKIV SE and was looking to sell it.   Fortunately for me, I had no takers, and closed the classified and decided to burn it in for 200 hours.  I'm not sure if it was the burn-in, or the act of actually playing with the various gain settings, but the sibilance I was originally unhappy with (with my 600 ohm T1) is gone.  I've also discovered (duhhhh) that ALL my phones sound great at one or another gain setting (Mad Dogs, HD-600, HE-500).  At the original default gain of 3 the lower impedance phones were lacking in bass.   No longer.

Oh my god, i laughed out loud when i read this!!!  not because you didn't realise, but because I totally FORGOT about gain when i was so eager to get this thing going!!!!  i was googling "little dot mk IV se not loud" and lo and behold this post made me realise "holy *#&$ there's gain in there you idiot!", cranked it up and WOW massive difference.  you saved me my friend!!!  this is my first experience with tubes and i was starting to also think maybe i sould sell and go to a SS amp... so happy now you have no idea :D

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #288 of 583
Quote:

Oh my god, i laughed out loud when i read this!!!  not because you didn't realise, but because I totally FORGOT about gain when i was so eager to get this thing going!!!!  i was googling "little dot mk IV se not loud" and lo and behold this post made me realise "holy *#&$ there's gain in there you idiot!", cranked it up and WOW massive difference.  you saved me my friend!!!  this is my first experience with tubes and i was starting to also think maybe i sould sell and go to a SS amp... so happy now you have no idea :D

Quote:
A short while back I was displeased with my MKIV SE and was looking to sell it.   Fortunately for me, I had no takers, and closed the classified and decided to burn it in for 200 hours.  I'm not sure if it was the burn-in, or the act of actually playing with the various gain settings, but the sibilance I was originally unhappy with (with my 600 ohm T1) is gone.  I've also discovered (duhhhh) that ALL my phones sound great at one or another gain setting (Mad Dogs, HD-600, HE-500).  At the original default gain of 3 the lower impedance phones were lacking in bass.   No longer.

Glad my dimness could help you out.  I've since got a nice pair of long tweezers for changing the gain DIP switches.

May 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #290 of 583
Hello Head-Fi! Long time listener, first time caller and all that. Just got my Little Dot Mk IV SE. Upgraded from a Mk II and the 1st thing to note is the size difference between the two. I was not prepared for that!

Anyways, I may yet get into tube rolling for the IV SE—done a bunch for my Mk II already—but for now I will enjoy the burn in period. Just picked up the Beyerdynamic DT1350s, too, so I'm in music heaven for the foreseeable future. 
smily_headphones1.gif

(Can't seem to get a pic to upload... Oh, well)

May 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #291 of 583
check out post # 1154: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1140

May 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #292 of 583
Anyone help with a tube question? I have a MKIV SE which came with some tubes marked as follows:

000-4010

CV-4010

KQDD/K

81/27

I understand that these are Mullard tubes, and I want to sell them as such - but they don't carry the Mullard stamp. Is that a problem?

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #294 of 583
Hi,

I want to try using my mk iv as a pre-amp. I would be using it with this integrated amp doing power amp functions: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/shearne_phase2.htm

Unfortunately there is not much info available about this amp, so I can't find out if it is DC coupled. Any ideas how I could tell? And am I right in thinking that if it is dc coupled I cannot use my little dot with it?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #295 of 583
Quote:
Hi,

I want to try using my mk iv as a pre-amp. I would be using it with this integrated amp doing power amp functions: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/shearne_phase2.htm

Unfortunately there is not much info available about this amp, so I can't find out if it is DC coupled. Any ideas how I could tell? And am I right in thinking that if it is dc coupled I cannot use my little dot with it?

Thanks

I have heard that you are not supposed to use the MK IV as a preamp with integrated amps or amps that are direct coupled. I may very well be wrong, but I think that a majority of integrated amps will be DC.

From what I understand, the reason that you are not supposed to use DC amps with preamps such as the LD MK IV is that the LD can leak some DC current. Then this DC current would be amplified and sent to the speakers and it can blow the speakers.

DC leakage from the LD is not supposed to happen and will most likely not happen, but it can.

I will say that I have broken this rule with my MK IV, just because I absolutely had to see how it sounded (it was fantastic by the way) but that was a risk that I took because my speakers are relatively cheap to replace. My system is still fine, but your mileage may vary. 

Hope this helps,
-Rich

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #296 of 583
I'd really appreciate if someone who used this amp with Beyer T1's or HD800's could write a few things about it. What I'm mainly interested in is the bass extension, soundstage, imaging and I also want a complete silent and dark background. Is the sound resolution of this amp good enough, or to better put it, is it transparent enough to be used with a great DAC and high end headphones?

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #297 of 583
In this thread, at least two head-fiers (incl. myself) post who have an HD800: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1710#post_9569514

As you can expect, there is no simple answer to your question :) but in brief you can use it with the HD800 and it will sound good. It would require a thorough review including multiple amps and the LD in order to properly answer your question though. "Best tube" recommendations are currently evaluated in the above thread and there is loads going on.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #300 of 583
I just unboxed it and have to make a splitter cable up for it. I'm going to check it out this weekend and post some impressions for you. It will be driven from the line out on my E17/E09K combo using foobar off the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back