THE LIST IS UP FOR THE EXCHANGE!!!
Oct 25, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #31 of 163
i cant wait to hear what everyone gets!

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #32 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Thaddy: I will try to keep them on the same continent, but last year Lisa who is in Europe exchanged with me in North America. I suppose if folks are adamant about NOT shipping overseas I could have multiple "hats" and randomize accordingly.

As for the albums already owned deal...work that out between you and your exchange partner. Send them a list of what you have, and then let them have free reign
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the clarification Zanth, count me in again
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #34 of 163
Alrighty, then, I might as well get in now, while I've still got some money
biggrin.gif

Count me in.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 163
Count the jolly canuck IN!

Looking forward to it.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #40 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Christmas huh...

well, sign me up anyway
biggrin.gif

How does this all work?

Well, you see, about 2000 years ago this mid-teen Jewish woman was given a sign from the stars indicating that she would bear a child, but not just any child, but the promised Messiah who would reign as not only the king of the Israelites but also the entire world. He was born around the beginning of December but for liturgical practices, his birthday was declared to be on the 25th of December which coincided with an ancient pagan sun festival. In order to ease the transition of the "pagans" to the new Christian (or Christ followers) ceremonies of worship, the leaders of the religious community decided to unite the two celebrations and eventually eliminate the old Roman customs with the new Christian customs. This memorial celebration is still avidly practiced all the way up to today. The present notion of Christmas with Santa Clause was ushered in after the strong sacrifice of a Saint Nicholas, a young bishop who was imprisoned for his refusal to denounce his Christian roots and praise the Roman gods. Once Constantine took over the Empire, he released Nicholas and the two worked closely together to unite the Roman rituals with the newer Christian rituals. The legend of Nicholas, and stories of his greatness spread quickly throughout the Empire and perpetuated through the ages. Most noteably in continuing in Europe where the feast day of St. Nicholas, December 6th is actually still hihgly regarded in countries like the Netherlands which is known as Sinterklass. This is the day folks exchange gifts. The idea of exchange derived from the generosity of St. Nicholas who was himself an orphan, though a very wealthy orphan, charging himself with the relieving of suffering of orphans and eventually in a wider scope - all children.

Now then, if you meant how does the actual gift exchange work...well, once the pairs are established, I leave the contacting up to the members and from there anything goes! Some don't mention anything about their collection, others will pass along their lists to ensure there is no doubling up. I leave the details up to the members.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #41 of 163
I'm in....don't know why I didn't do it before....maybe I was afraid of what JMT might send me...

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #42 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Most noteably in continuing in Europe where the feast day of St. Nicholas, December 6th is actually still hihgly regarded in countries like Denmark which is known as Sinterklass.

To be honest, December 6th isn't very highly regarded in Denmark, especially this year, since it is a Monday and we all have to go to work again after having the weekend off
rolleyes.gif
. As it will probably be cold, dark and wet, this makes December 6th even less appealing to the Danes. To be honest, I'm pretty sure you have us confused with Dutch (especially since the word "Sinterklass" doesn't exist in Danish as far as I am aware)
biggrin.gif

</geography lesson>
biggrin.gif

/U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back